1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sugg. for o/u for 15 yo girl to shoot bunker

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooting Coach, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I would look REAL hard at a Winchester Select Trap or Sporting. Call up CDNN INvestments. Have them look up what you want. If they just have a couple, tye might not be on the website. These guns are great values and are great guns. They will bet her up and running. This gun will NOT slow her down when she starts getting dialed in.

I also like the Browning Cynergy with the "pogo stick" recoil pad. CDNN has them both.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

A Remington 3200 would be a good choice. Lower barrel has adjustable POI and the gun has a very good trigger. You can also buy replacement stocks on www.e-gunparts for about $100. That way you can make alot of adjustments during the learning process without ruining the original stock. HMB

3. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

I would think along the line of a pre-owned browning or Beretta 682/6. The Beretta has the advantage that barrels and stocks are readily available for Cole's guns and Jeffs' Outfitters to name two. Etchen guns in Penna has a large inventory of Berettas.

The most important thing is to "waggle" the gun; have her pick it up and mount it. Have her try every gun you can find. She will know the right gun by it's feel. If at all possible, have her shoot it first at least at wobble. Usually, a smaller person will find lighter, faster gun more desirable for bunker. It will take at least a couple of months to really know if the gun chosen is going to work out. I suggest you ball-park the fit for a few months before making significant changes. During this period, there is no need for the "Euro" load shells, especially in the beginning; they should be avoided. Use shells loaded to no more than around 1270 ft/sec (factory AA's are OK). You -- and she -- will find they do a fine job reducing even bunker targets to dust. And allowing the lass to shoot all day.

- - Bill

4. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

I would pass on the Ruger Red Label. You will probably want to find a "Bunker Gun" style that is more common in the Bunker environment. Good affordable choices are Browning Citori 30" barreled O/U trap, sporting type guns preferably with a adjustable comb or a fitted trap stock, models B325, B425, B525, Ultra, GTI, etc. These guns can be found in your price range and they are generally softer shooters, and reliable. If you are not sure where you are going to go with this, a Beretta 302, 303, 390, 391 semi-automatic 30" with a trap stock is a good start.

Having fun and shooting a soft recoiling gun is the key. Good Luck.

Jon Ogilvie

5. Shooting Coach

Please don't get a self loader for the Bunker field!

A 15 year old girl will likely not have the upper body strength for a heavy gun.

I still say to look at the Win Select Sporter or Trap, or the Cynergy. They are handy, and have little recoil. Good news. The 24 gram Bunker loads are light in recoil as well.

Good luck with your young athlete.

6. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

Shooting Coach, who are you and what programs do you coach?? I just want to know your background and like to know where your expertize is.

I talked to Chuck at CDNN today and they do not have any 12ga Browning Cynergys in 30" and are discontinuing the line. So, the remaining Cynergys are on "sale" for $1899.99. He also said that they do have a 30" Winchester Select Trap for $1399.99. These guns are susposed to be made in Belgium at FN. I do not have any experience with the Select and cannot comment on it as a viable choice for Bunker.

In all the years that I have been involved, we have had many beginners start with a semiautomatic in bunker here in the USA. If they stay with it, and are serious they migrate to a O/U soon. With the SCTP and 4H programs as smajor feed for the US programs, the transition is a natural one.

Jon Ogilvie

7. boneman

boneman TS Member

Don't buy her a kreig there all blowing up. But the Cynergy would be just fine, have a friend who has a little tiny wife who shoots one and has no problems. She is smaller then the 15 year old. Thank you for your time. Larry

8. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi, There is a Browning superposed on another thread...28in barrels, briley choked and for just over $1k...not a bad place to start in my opinion. Kind Regards-Graham.

9. Shooting Coach

Dear Jon

I have Level II Shotgun, Intl' Shotgun and Intl' Rifle Coach Creds from USA Shooting and NRA. I have level one NSSA creds, level II ATA Shooting Coach and ATA Hall of Fame Trap Instructor creds. I am honored to be the (clay target) Shooting Coach for the largest state run University east of the Mississippi River. I have Silver Level Coach creds from the American Sport Education Program.

I have been shooting Intl' games for years, and have won a Silver Medal in a USA Shooting registered match. I have been asked to Coach a team for Intl' shooting that will go to Colorado Springs this year. I am nationally ranked, and am on the roster. I train young athletes and Coaches in the SCTP. I do not charge young athletes or their Coaches for training.

I have trained with Les Greevy, Don Sipes, John Jackson, Terry Hetrick, Wendell Cherry, Gary Greenway, Frank Hoppe, Charlie Morrison, Nora, and more I cannot recall at this time.

I am also a State Certified Firearms Trainer. I am rated to train Pistol, Shotgun, and Patrol Rifle to Law Enforcement, Armed Professionals and Citizens, along with Tactical non lethals and physical confrontation management for the Law Enforcement community. I have multiple Instructor Creds from NRA. I charge these folks! LOL

Although not the best, I have trained with the best Law Enforcement and Sport Shooting Trainers in the world. I have shot registered birds since 1958. I shot the first Volunteer Skeet shoot at Nashville Gun club. This year, Lord willing, I will shoot the 50th. I don't think I will have the same eyes or reflexes this time around.

That and five dollars will get one a cup of coffee at Starbucks. LOL

The main thing about the self loader is changing stations with one in the pipe. Unless a shooter takes a second shot at every bird, he has a firearm in condition zero when it is time to change stations. (condition zero is one in the pipe, safety off) One would think a young athlete had enough distractions without downloading the gun up to 25 times, optimistically.

I KNOW the kids are smarter and faster than I, but I would not like the extra drain on my (limited) hard drive that this requires. Also, the new generation of O/U's kick less than some of the autos. I bought a MINT 1100 12 ga with fixed IC and VR that one could put a hang tag on. I brought it home, serviced it, and replaced the action spring. When I shot it at the club, it kicked MORE than my Cynergy. It even out thumped my Krieghoff! Same loads, of course.

That Belgian made Winchester Select Trap is a winner! Also, TWO different chokes. I typically use F/F for Bunker, but that is me. I ALWAYS have enough choke. Les Greevy told me years ago, "Chokes are in inches. Misses are in feet." I consider that Gospel. Choke for SMOKE.

I and others like me appreciate your commitment to the next generation of shooters and champions. I love what I do for the kids, and I wish I could do more. You probably feel the same way.

10. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

Shooting Coach,

Thanks for your informative response. It would be nice to know your name so I can introduce myself when we meet possibly at SCTP Championships, The ACUI's, the Jr. Olympic Championships, Texas 4H Championships, etc. I like you care about especially the Junior Shooters. For $1500 or less, It would be nice for us to help direct this Jr. in the right direction.

Best regards,

Jon

11. Shooting Coach

Dear Jon

I have shot both the Sporter and Trap Select. They are both great guns. The Trap model reminds me of a 30" Beretta Trap. It seems to know where the target is. With the Invector Plus choke system, porting and factory overbore, recoil seems very light to me. I am not one who enjoys recoil! Function and ejection with imported promo shells was certain and consistent. It is big enough for anyone, but so well balanced and responsive that petite shooters can pick it up and march on!

Many folks have chimed in who have shot the tar out of theirs and have had no problems. We really want to hear this about a new tournament offering. After all, it IS made by FN Herstal, the same folks who made Brownings for several generations of hunters and shooters to enjoy. They still make the Superposed, in special high end runs. They also make several guns under the Winchester banner.

As far as the kids, it is ALL about the kids. I am old, and have seen my best days. It is time to pass the torch. They ARE the next generation who will determine our future and carry on our heritage and be a part of the gun culture. Anyone who does not believe this in their heart is not worth spit.

Some of the best folks I have ever known are members of the gun culture.

Regards,

John Wall,

Middle Tennessee State University Shooting Coach

12. Shooting Coach

Most porting is now allowed. Many new tournament guns are not available in non ported configurations. Although my K-80 was not Angleported at the factory, it was shipped to them by Krieghoff, ported, and drop shipped to me (gratis). I have had it checked and approved by USA Shooting officials.

American rules may be more relaxed than outside the United States. In my old age, If I never leave the USA again, I will be happy.

13. Texshooter

Texshooter Member

Shooting Coach/John Wall you may want to contact the ATA they are still showing you as Credentialed Level I. AJ

14. chuckles

chuckles Member

Buy her a Beretta 391, get used to the downloading, its not a big deal...

the ease, comfort factor, reliability, fit up and smaller sized Semi will serve her well at her young age...get fancy later...

Buy a standard Trap or Sporting Clays model or Parallel Target....

Have Tron (on this site) do the mods for it, (adj comb & butt pad, etc)his work is excellent, inexpensive and fast turnaround time...you can't go wrong.

regards

15. Shooting Coach

What, the ATA does not have records up to date? LOL

I am not too worried about what is listed on a website. Since I do not charge to train young athletes and their Coaches, I usually have something good to do on weekends when there is good weather.

16. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

The Ruger Trap Model will run a lot more than $1500....if you can find one.
    a Ruger Sporting would be well within the parent's budget and would be a little lighter than a pure trap gun...possibly less tiring for a small female to shoot.
    Light target loads and a Limbsaver recoil pad will go a long way towards making the RRL very pleasant to shoot for extended periods.
    In fact, I have one of those very guns that I might part with....and she'd have several hundred dollars left for ammo.

17. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

SKB 85TSS, O/U,30" barrels, adj comb MC stock, demo gun. $1450.00.
    Mike Battista
    727 410 5212

18. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Ruger Red Label O/U. Like new, in box with all factory accessories. 30" barrels.
    Only change is Limbsaver pad. Comes with fitted break-down leather/canvas case. Typical Ruger wood. $1200.

19. gunner2

gunner2 TS Member

code5coupe, If the Ruger is such a nice gun, why are you selling it?

I just shot trap with a Winchester Select Energy Trap (one of our - very good trap - club members) yesterday for the first time. I had previously not had any experience with one. This is a "serious trap gun" affordable gun. Well made and low recoil. For the price you cannot go wrong. compaired to the Ruger, well there is no comparison. The Winchester is all around a much better (serious Clay Target, (Trap) gun!!

Jon Ogilvie

20. Shooting Coach

The Browning Cynergy and Winchester Select are two sleepers on the tournament field. Don't let the low price fool you.

The 30" Ruger Sporter I owned shot well, but kicked with 1 1/8 oz loads. I did not like the auto safety, but will not alter the safety on a firearm for reasons of civil liability. I was unimpressed, and sold it.

The Cynergy and Select are worth having on any clay target field. The Browning was expected to perform well, but the Winchester was an unexpected treat!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.