1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Substitution of wads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jay461, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay461

jay461 TS Member

In the Hodgdon loading data it gives for 1 1/8 shot 24.5 g of PB powder 209 Remington primer WAA12 wad 8800 PSI 1250 FPS for Remington shell.I am not getting good crimp because the WAA12 wad is to full or to high.I tried a WAA12F114 wad and it gives me a perfect crimp.Can I do this?I am using a remington black ribbed gun club hull.Also what is the difference between a spolar made to their spec.windjammer wad and a regular windjammer wad?

2. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

Try to set your wad a little deeper, more wad pressure. TheWAA12F114 only interchanges with the CB1114-12 and the DRA-12 yellow. The windjammer wads are the same, Spolars are made of a higher grade plastic to spolar specs. I use them and they leave very little if any plastic residue in barrel.

3. smifshot

smifshot TS Member

SHATTTTTTTT

4. jay461

jay461 TS Member

I have got it set as far as I can,if I set it any lower I can`t get the wad in.What I am really asking is what will happen if I load several and shoot them with the WAA114.

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

They will go bang. HMB

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Simple advice. NEVER SUBSTITUTE COMPONENTS IN RELOADING. If you cannot find the components you want to use in the combination you want, in reliable reloading manuals, then do not do not use them. For any unlisted wads (often the case with Downrange and other "second tier" wads) use only for those substitutions that the manufacturer says they are made for. Substituting components may result in unpredictable pressure changes, and can be extremely dangerous. If you have been reading some other threads on this forum, you have been reading about possible results of poor or careless reloading practices.

Jim R

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

In this case I have to say you are good to go. 1 & 1/4 oz wads weigh less than their longer counterparts because there is less supporting structure.

We have had PB loads filling Federal cases too full and substituted with the same results.

It is safe to assume that the various versions of a type (TGT & F-8, 12SO/12s3-4, AA12/F114) will have the same sealing characteristic within the type.

The only difference is weight, a couple BB's worth. You could probably change pressure just as much by using a different shot size.

Those with a lack of underwstanding of the physics involved may feel free to abstain, placating their fear.

HM

8. Chipmaker

Chipmaker Active Member

Im with Jim R

Do not assume you can use any components other than what is in the manuals! You or your fellow shooters could be injured or killed! All for a good crimp.....get the right stuff load according to the book and be safe shoot well!!!

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Listen to Chipmaker and Jim otherwise the Moon will leave orbit and crash into the Earth when you pull the trigger. HMB

10. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

Gee, what is the fun of reloading, if we can't do a little extrapolation and interpolation?

Thank you,
    Longshooter

11. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

For what it is worth, I loaded and shot 1000s of PB and 7625 loads using the 1 1/4 wads for the same reason you stated! The sky did not fall on me and I loved the loads except the price of the powder! Tom Rhoads One of you gurus will have to explain to me why the slightly lighter wad would be dangerous to substitute here! Tom Rhoads

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Ask yourself one question. Are those who recommend you go ahead with untested loadings willing to accept, legally, the responsibilty for any adverse occurence as a result of their recommendations on this forum?

Jim R

13. tcr1146

tcr1146 Well-Known Member

WTFE?! Tom Rhoads

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

jay461

If the loads concern you, assemble a handful and send them out for pressure and velocity testing. That would answer your question as to the safety of the wad substitution. If the original load with the AA wad is a low enough pressure load, then a wad change may not have that much impact on the pressure, and if it does, you could have enough headroom for safety. At 8800 PSI, IF that's what the load actually develops, it's a little higher than I'd wish to start with myself. A lot of reloaders have swapped between different versions of wads, but how many actually have pressure data to support it? I'd rather select a different load and not have the problem.

15. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I took a look in the hodgdon manual, and I couldn't find the load you are quoting. The powder charge and psi are in conflict with your example. Unless you are speaking of winchester hull, for which there is data, as you have ventured forth. 2008 manual.

Thank you,
    Longshooter

16. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Longshooter is right, your using 1 grain to much powder with the components you listed. I would be more concerned about your powder drop, and would not think twice about substituting a Winchester 1-1/4 wad that weights almost 2 grains less than a Winchester 1-1/8 wad. Call Hodgdon, they will tell you. Wayne

17. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

That is why I like Gualandi wads. They make the same wad (style) in several different lengths. I use the GU-1222, GU-1225 and GU-1227 wads (Grafs designations). These wads are 22mm, 25mm and 27mm long from the powder to the shot. There is no substitute to having the right wad for the powder and shot volumes you are loading.

There is not much loading data for the Gualandi wads which is probably why they are not very popular. You have to develop your own load data.

Jim Skeel

18. scooterbum

scooterbum Active Member

I don't think it is the wads weight that matters. Rather, it's resistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

gu 1225 wad substitute

gualandi gu 1222 wads
gualandi wads
gulandi 1222
ptessure differances between windjammer and 1100-12 wads
substitute for tc20 wad reloading
substitute for winchester aa12f114
which shotgun wads can i substute for