1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Substitution for the Federal 209

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jay461, Sep 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jay461

jay461 TS Member

I nearly always used Fed 209 primers in my loads or I did until I couldn`t find them anymore.They always seem to produce the best loads and the lowest pressure.What can I replace them with? What is the next primer under them with the closest pressure rating? Do I increase the powder and by how much? Thanks for all the help I have received on other posts.Jay461

2. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Like you, I prefer F209A in everything, and when I can't get them, the CCI-M is the best available substitute.

The standard provisos and disclaimers apply, esp for loads greater than 10,000psi.

For me ... even in fast, pressure-y hunting loads, the chrono'ed velocity drop was barely significant, if not hidden in standard deviation between shells.

Cheddite is, apparently, now importing their CX2000, rather than the familiar CX1000 we have been cussing (b/c it's a frog product) but using for years, too. The CX2000 is a stronger primer than the CX1000 and would be in the same tranche as a F209A and CCI-M, albeit a bit milder.

Rio ... although mighty, mighty sparse on company-published data, is the Martignoni 688, also a 'strong' primer and most who load Rio use F209A data. I have never had one problem with Rios lighting up a teaspoon or two of a single-base powder in a straight-wall hull.

Bob

3. Kolarpole

Kolarpole Member

goatskin........( The CX2000 is a stronger primer than the CX1000 and would be in the same tranche as a F209A and CCI-M, albeit a bit milder.) Don't fully understand this???? Is the cheddite (cx20000) primer used in a load such as: sts hull..red dot l7.5 to l7.8..figure 8 wad... 1 1/16 shot...TOO STRONG because of the cheddite primer???? All seems well but now I am curious if OTHERS use a load similiar??? thanking all for comments....RUN'EM

4. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Some of this abt Cheddite is 'new' information ... There's a pretty good thread on the Reloading board at SGW about Cheddite primers (and some expected digressions, of course.)

Basically ... Cheddite makes 3 versions of primers, 'mild', 'medium', and 'strong'. We, in America NEVER see any 'mild' primers, and all we are used to are 'medium' (WinRem) and 'hot' (Fed209A/CCI-M).

I was surprised to learn that Cheddite is NOW importing CX2000 (stronger than a W-209) and NOT the CX1000 (about the same as a Rem STS/Prem).

Stuff I researched & posted from Gualandi website (and e-mails with them) also explain a little better where RIO primers fit in, too.

Check your primer box. If it says CX2000, I suspect you are traveling a little faster than your W-209 'pattern' load. That is a very modest, mild load, and you are going to be nowhwere near 'pressure-y' ... with even a Fed209A.

In America, we pay far, far more attention to (insignificant) pressures & velocities than are really necessary for either safety or efficiency.

That said: it is valuable to know that the CX2000 is THE Cheddite primer being imported now, and that it is NOT a free W-209 substitute as most have thought for years.

Bob

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Rather than trying to swap around with primers and taking a shot in the dark, Why not consult the loading data for the components you are using and select a load with a different primer. There is NO direct replacement for the Federal 209 (discontinued) OR the Federal 209A. Find data to use with a different primer. Give us an idea of what you are loading and we might be able to make a recommendation.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

federal 209 primer substitute

federal 209 substitute