1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Substituting Win.209's for...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by D'ohboy, Jul 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. D'ohboy

D'ohboy Member

Hey, reloaders, a question. I have about 750 Claybuster 12S3 wads left from when I was reloading Top Gun hulls. I would like to use them up in Nitros and STS's(and a few Fiocchis).Has anyone used 12S3's, Remington(or Fiocchi) hulls,Clays or International powder and Win.209 primers together? I know that Hodgdon has no recipe for these,but I was substituting Win.209s for Ched. 209s when I was loading the Top Guns and had no problems. Your advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Dan

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

You are stating 2 different types ofhulls, the Fiocchi is a large diameter hull. Pressures will not be the same.

STS is a small capacity hull, a 12S3 will only hold an ounce. Use an established recipe, as the 12S3 is a tighter fit and pressures will be higher.

RTFM

HM

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

And on the cheddite/Win question, I used both primers back and forth and interchangeably for many years without a single hitch. The cheddite always gave me a very small bump in velocity confirming it's just a teensy bit hotter....breakemall...Bob Dodd

4. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

d'ohboy

Mash the link to the Hodgdon website. Follow the links to the online data. They have a lot of data available for the Remington hulls and a bit for the Fiocchi hulls using the Federal wads. You should be able to find something acceptable for either powder you mentioned. The Winchester primer is listed in many loads found there. If you have trouble finding something, look for their contact info on the website and I'm sure they will be able to advise you.

Be very careful when using data posted on the forums or other such sources. It's bad enough that there can be a wide variation in pressures using data published by reliable sources. I wouldn't take a chance on loads posted here unless you were able to verify the data against a reliable source.

As for the primer substitutions. I would not recommend just swapping primers unless you have a little more to go on. The Winchester W209 and the Cheddite 209 appear to be pretty similar in many loads, but it's a crapshoot. If the loads you are using are faily low in pressure, it may not be a problem. If you are looking at loads closer to the upper limits (over 9500 PSI), I'd advise against it.

5. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

There is a published recipe for 2.75 Winchester AA Compression Hull, using a cc209 primer, the 12s3 wad and International - 19.2 grains/7900 LUP/1145 FPS and 20 grains/8300 LUP/1200 FPS

Jay Spitz

6. D'ohboy

D'ohboy Member

Thanks for the info,guys. I think I'll bite the bullet and get the proper primers for the given recipes. Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

substitueing win 209 for federal 209