1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

substituting primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Terry_Maiden, Apr 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terry_Maiden

Terry_Maiden TS Member

I am loading mostly Gun Club and Sport Load hulls, a few STS and Nitro 27 as well. Most of the Alliant data specify a Remington 209P primer. I donot have access to this primer but do have: CCI 209, Winchester 209, Fiocchi 616 and Federal 209A. Which primer would you choose to more closely duplicate the Remington 209P?

I had been using Red Dot but now I have a jug of Promo to use up.

2. leadvail

leadvail Member

http://www.alliantpowder.com/questions/default.aspx

They will let you know in a week.

Bob

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Call Alliant and get their advice. Substution of components is not always a good idea, esoecially primers. They can vary in pessure by over 3000 PSI or more. A full detail of your load may give someone a little more to go on. How much shot? How much Powder? What Wad?, etc. I would suggest looking for another load using the components you will have on hand.

4. Texas Yankee

Texas Yankee Member

I have used CCI 209 primers Gun Club hulls, with Red Dot powder for years when I could not get Remington primers. The information is the web site.

5. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

A tech at Hogdon told me if I used Winchester instead of Remington primers, to go at least 1/2 grain lower in weight. NOTE : this is advice from Hogdon, not Alliant. Call Alliant and get their advice.

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Terry, Red Dot & Remington hulls are a popular combination.

If you'll list your load (with the 209P), 37 somebodies here load the exact same hull, wad, RD and weight, and have chrono-ed their CCI/Fio/Win primers.

Generally, the 209P is the mildest of the 'medium strength' primers, and W209 is the hottest, and Alliant's standard recommendation when substituting primers is 'back off a half-grain.'

If you are pushing RD & 209P to 1200+, that advice is pretty sensible.

Bob

7. porky

porky TS Member

Aren't most guns proof tested? I remember a gunsmith from Kreighoff who told me that Kreighoffs were proof tested to 3 times the normal load. I would imagine that other manufacturers proof test at loads higher than the norm. I know that the slugs and field loads at at really high pressures. Other than the lengths of the shells, I haven't heard of manufacturers saying that you can't use different manufactured shells in any given gun. I know that hunters aren't firing their guns as much as target shooters, but there are a lot of hunters that do shoot a lot of field loads through their guns. I believe that the majority of barrel failures are due to obstacles in the barrels and not due to pressures in the breech.

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

tigman46

There are a LOT of published loads using the CCCI209M primers. I find them to work great with slower powders, even at low temperatures. I use them in a few of my favored handicap loads, even at 1200 fps. They also work great in large straight tube hulls like the Federal Gold Medals.

9. rdf59

rdf59 Member

Buy the Lyman Shotshell Reloading Handbook 5th Edition and download the reloading information - in the form of a booklet- from IMR/Hodgdon and you will be able to look up almost any combination of tested loads you might need.

10. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

209M primers aren't usually used with ight shot loads (7/8 oz)

MK

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
can you substitute cci 209 for remington p primer

cci primers in gun club hulls

closest substitute for remington primers
shotshell primer substitution
substituting primers metallicrifle reloading
substituting shotgun primers
substituting w209 for rem 209 primer
substituting winchester 209 for fiocchi 616