1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

substituting CCI 209 for CCI 209M

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skilling, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skilling

skilling TS Member

By mistake I just bought a box of 1000 primers and didn't notice that they were CCI 209s rather than the CCI 209Ms I usually use. I understand that the M is a magnum primer and burns hotter than the regular 209. Is it safe to substitute the "cooler" 209 in place of the M or do I need to make a trip back to the store and trade?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. JRW

JRW Member

My thoughts would be to trade them if store is not a long distance. You could look at loading datd for the 209's. Jerry

3. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Check the data and if it shows reasonable pressures with your load, then I would go ahead and use them. Can't tell you much more without any idea of what you're loading. I've used both types of CCI primers without any issues in several loadings.

4. Ken X

Ken X TS Member

Just drop your powder charge to whats needed!

5. skilling

skilling TS Member

The thing is that virtally all the reloading info I have is based on the M. I have even been to Alliant and Hodgdon's sites and about all the CCI loads are based on M.

I guess I'll just be making a trip back to the shop next week.

6. Neil R

Neil R TS Member

I had the reverse situation, I picked up 209M primers by mistake. I called Hodgdon and spoke with one of the tech guys and he said to use the next bushing down in my MEC 9000GN when loading CLAYS powder. I would suggest calling Hodgdon and speak with a tech. However, they have published loads for the standard 209 primers.
    Neil

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

209 instead of 209m

can i substitute cci209 for cci209m in my muzzleloader

cci 209m vs cci 209