1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

substitute Fiochhi 616's for Win 209's????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by longrifle, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. longrifle

longrifle TS Member

substitute Fiochhi 616

Does anyone have data for 20 ga, 1oz Fiochhi shells? I have some but all calls for Fiochhi or Cheddite primers and I have alot of Win 209's. Can I substitute these 616's with Win 209's???

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I'd give the powder company a call to check it out. Usually I'd say a primer substitution like you suggest, would probably be OK "IF" you aren't using higher pressure loads. If the data shows less than 9500 PSI or so, it might not be that dangerous. Most 1oz loads in the 20ga seem to develop some pretty high pressures. I'd probably try to use the exact components listed in the data. There are enough variables to worry about, without deliberately adding one more big one. Pressure changes from a primer substitution aren't always that predictable. When in doubt, you could load a half dozen samples and have them pressure tested. The cost would be a lot cheaper than a new gun. Kevin at Downrange Manufacturing might be able to help you out as well. He has a pretty good handle on such issues and may have tested something along those lines.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Longrifle, just a shot in the dark but, Does the Fiochhi shell (components from overseas) assembled here (USA) have a primer pocket of american size or Euro size (oversized) like the Rio's, Keman's, Noble Sports and the like. The Win. AA. primer might fit loose and fall out. Might me worth checking. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. ricks1

ricks1 TS Member

check for fit like jeff said.

5. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

The Fiocchi shells are apparently loaded with the 616 primer from the factory. It is a standard 209 size primer. The Winchester should fit the hull without any trouble. The forward end of the Fiocchi 616 is larger than the forward end of the Winchester, but the maximum diameters are very close. The Winchester has a different contour/profile than most other primers.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

How much does it cost to have a load pressure tested? HMB

7. abiezer

abiezer Guest

I used to have a card from Kevin at Downrange Manuf.
    with pressure testing info,seemed like $20-$30 or some such.
    but it appears i lost the card..

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

hmb

The going rate used to be around $5 to $10 per round for pressure testing. At least 5 Rounds should be tested and some would tell you at least ten. The more you test, the more reliable the results would be. Check with Kevin at Downrange, since I would not want to second guess his fees and the details. You could also check with HP White Labs. They would likely be near the higher end of the spectrum. Several other outfits can do pressure testing for reasonable fees. If you were to need a lot of testing, it might pay to buy the minimal setup for doing so, and be able to do it yourself.

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Precision Reloading charges $40 to test five shells, and produces the usual report.

GS

10. longrifle

longrifle TS Member

Sweet! all great info!! thank you all for the feedback.
    -longrifle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.