1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Subsitute CCI209' for WN209 Primers?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by blackfoot, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Subsitute CCI209

I shoot PB powder( 21gr, 1 1/8oz,CB Wads,AA Old style hull). I would like to switch from WN209's to CCI209's and can't find any recipes. I have had a call into IMR for a week w/ no answer.

Any experiance/knowledge with using CCI vss Win primers?Thanks

2. oz

oz Active Member

try hodgdons.com

3. kolarshooter

kolarshooter Member

I have had too many CCI primer's not go bang.

Even when put into a campfire, and even did not go bang when hit with hammer

on a rock. Long time ago. Loaded 500 small rifle loads and went to range

Over half of the cci did not fire, win & rem all fired, Called cci and was

told that I did something wrong, It was my fault, so on & so on.

The primers were a new purchace within a week of loading them.

we hit rem & win primers the same way and all went bang,

I was kinda dumb back then.

I would not recommeded them to anyone.

Tom

4. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

CCI's have always had a poor reputation. Unfortunately, with the shortage of Winchester and Federal primers in many areas they're the only show in town!!

5. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

My experience with CCI primers in small and large pistol as well as large rifle has be excellent.
    Never a misfire or dud primer in 10's of thousands.

That said...
    I use only Winchesters in my shotshell loads just to keep things all equal as the WIN209 is wide spread in shotshell recipes. As you have found.

Art

6. Nebs

Nebs Well-Known Member

I would check with the people at Alliant Powder as they are owned by the company that also owns CCI (and Federal for that matter). Make sure you are clear with them whether your primers are 209 or 209M. I see some recipes for both CCI 209 and 209Ms in the Alliant Powder guide. It's difficult to generalize whether the CCI 209 is hotter or cooler than the Win 209. Depends on the load. But PB powder is known for delivering low chamber pressures so it doesn't seem likely swapping the CCI 209 for the Win 209 would put you in any sort of dangerous situation. But, the sage advice is to check with either the primer or the powder manufacturer. PB has been licensed to Hodgdon so you might check with them as well (as was suggested).

7. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

blackfoot,

If you have not purchased CCI primers yet, I would hold off. CCI 209's, from my experience have always been cool primers. With PB, I would't want to use them. I have found that a Cheddite and Winchester 209 are practically interchangeable. However, I think the Hogdon/IMR/Winchester powder reloading manual only show recipes for Federal, Remington and Winchester Primers.

John

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

As a user of Remington 209s, I am concerned about both the shortage of them as well as their escalating price. Accordingly, I researched 209 primer brisance and from what I've learned, the CCI 209 is the closest thing to a Remington 209. I've used the Remington 209 with PB and Green Dot in all kinds of Pennsylvania weather without problems. Winchester 209 primers are slightly hotter than Remingtons or CCIs.

Also, due to availability almost anywhere, I have used nothing for 40 years but CCI primers for all my handgun and rifle handloading and honestly cannot recall having a dud.

Ed

9. SeldomShoots

SeldomShoots Active Member

Would agree with Ed's post about Remington 209 and CCI being comparable.

Plus CCI BR primers for rifles are as consistent and good as they come.

10. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Thanks everyone, I have emailed all those Mfger's mentioned - haven't heard anything yet.I have used Rem 209's in place of Wn209's many times w/ PB powder with no issues or changes.

11. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I switch back and forth between Winchester and CCI all the time in pistols and rifles and occasionally with shotguns. I never changed the load data or had any problems. I even bought a brick of the old copper CCI's with the logo that said from the "good old boys", those had to be 40 plus years old, and they were fine. For shotshell powder I use TiteGroup, Clays and International clays.

12. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

Have only used a couple sleeves of CCIs ( in my 45+ years of reloading) and never had any problems, would not hesitate to use them again, and they are made in USA. I like made in USA. Ross Puls

13. moserag

moserag Member

I followed Winchester 209 with CCI 209 once and had a lot of gas leaks around the primers. No misfires though.
    Dave

14. blackfoot

blackfoot Member

Just got off the phone w/ Hodgden and they approved the switch from WN209 to CCI 209 primers using PB powder.Said it was very close to using Rem 209 primers.

15. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

I just finished up 3,000 CCI 209 primers last fall. I never had a single mis-fire with them. I would not hesitate to go back to them if I ever run out of my current supply of Rem premier STS primers that I lucked into. Where primers have been store certainly can have a negative affect on dependability.

Bob

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

I have used CCI primers for 40 years - never a misfire for 1000's of pistol and rifle rounds. Have never used CCI 209s (or Remington) - always stick with WW and Fed.. can't remember a total misfire since 1965 and 200,000 plus rounds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.