1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub gauges for trap?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Redcobra, Jan 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

As I dabble on the dark side (skeet) I get the "28 gauge is great" mantra. Several shooter wondered why shooters don't shoot trap with sub-gauges.
    On all league and organized shoots I have been on, everyone uses 12 gauge.

Anyone shoot sub-gauges for trap?
    Are there any league shoots that use sub-gauges?
    Can you shoot a sub-gauge at an ATA shoot?

Thanks for the info,
    Alan

2. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've heard of 20 guage trap leagues. I doubt there'll ever be ATA registered sub-guage as the current typical 100/100/50pr makes for a pretty long day without doing itall over again with sub-guages.

John C. Saubak

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Rule XIII, G, 1, first sentence:

"A contestant cannot use:

1. A gun with a chamber larger than 12 gauge. Guns of smaller gauges are permissible in registered and tournament shooting, but no competitive consideration shall be given in recognition of that fact for handicap and classification purposes. "

At the Grand American, you can only use 12 or 20 gauge.

4. Ross

Ross Well-Known Member

My interpretation of that rule is that you may shoot anything 12ga. or smaller than a 12ga. but that's your decision. But having been to the shell house at the grand I noticed they only carry in stock 12s & 20s, so I'm presuming you could shoot a 410 if you brought your own ammo. with NO consideration given (ie no handicap as in golf). If I'm wrong it will certainly be pointed out very soon. Ross Puls

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I've never been there Ross but it's my understanding that you can't bring your own ammo to the Grand? You gotta' buy your ammo there in the shellhouse.

6. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

12 & 20 only at the Grand. Registered at other locations can use smaller gauges.
    Clyde

7. 87AA

87AA TS Member

For 2 years I was a dedicated 28 gauge shooter. This included sporting, 5-stand, FITASC, and trap. My 20 year lay off from trap didn't help my scores any but I can attest that 3/4 of 7.5s will break targets from the 27 yard line. When I as on, my breaks where every bit as hard as any other gun. But brother when I missed, I really missed. There is simply no margin for error. Both my handicap scores where in the upper 60s lower 70s. Considering I hadn't shot trap in 20 years and I was using a 28 gauge, I was happy with these scores. Is the 28 viable for a serious competitor? NO. Is it fun as hell to try? YES.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ata subgauge