1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub gauge tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by David McMillen, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

If you are going to shoot only the 28ga., then Briley Campanions tubes are probaly what you need. The set comes with extra chokes, don't know how may exactly. Go to there web-site and check it out.

David McMillen

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

You will probably have to have your triggers modified so that they can reset w/ the 28ga shells. This means you'll have to ship the gun somewhere, so if you are, you might as well have Briley or Kolar install their fitted tubes at the same time. Companions are OK, but are not as good as the fitted tubes.

The tubes are going to run you around $600, and the trigger job will run you around $100, plus shipping both ways, so you're probably looking at around $800 when all is said and done, unless you can find a used set of Companions for cheaper (usually not much), and you still have to deal with the triggers.

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I have seen chamber damage with extensive use of Companion tubes. It seems the nylon button is impressed into the chamber and leaves an indentation.

Since you will only buy these once, go the Ultimate Ultralites. You can send the chokes back and exchange them if your needs change. I would get SK, SK, LM, MOD. This will cover Skeet, Sporting, and will work for a fun round on the 16 yard line.

Briley is down to 2-4 weeks.

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Or you could get the Seminole Chambermates or Briley Sidekicks. I got them in 20 gauge and 28 gauge, and didn't have to have work done on my gun to get them to reset the second shot.

You might get lucky like I did.

I did, however, require trigger work when I got full length Briley Companion tubes in .410.

Unless you're a competitive skeet shooter, the shorty tubes work fine, and they cost a lot less than the full length tubes.

5. GlennH

GlennH TS Member

"I have seen chamber damage with extensive use of Companion tubes. It seems the nylon button is impressed into the chamber and leaves an indentation."

Thats one hell of a claim
    hope your wrong, kolar's been fixing their tubes with nylon inserts for years
    Glenn

6. eightbore

eightbore Well-Known Member

Glenn, how do you define "fixing their tubes with nylon inserts"?

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

That must be some really tough nylon to put a dent in a steel chamber. HMB

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I had a Browning 425 that had indentations in the chambers from the buttons on a 20 set of Companion tubes.

My gun, saw it with my eyes. Fitted tubes are the way to go. They are only a few dollars more than the Companions. I have never seen anything to compare with the Ultimate Ultralites. They will out shoot the gun you put them in, and only have to be bought once. If this is going to be something you use a lot in your passion for shooting, don't cheap out. If you are going to run a box through them every once in a while, then DO cheap out. LOL

I am a cheap bastard, but I don't budget firearms, fitness, or bicycles. Spend the money once, and be happy ever after.

I am a Briley distributor, and don't keep up with the Kolar product. Many folks are happy with them.

9. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

An inexpensive option for shooting 3/4 oz which is the 28ga load is loading
    3/4 oz in 12ga hulls with the new Claybuster 3/4 oz wads. They work great with Promo in place of the recommended Red Dot powder.

10. Socko124

Socko124 TS Member

Briley fitted tubes are definitely the way to go, the companions are excellent if you want to be able to switch tubes from gun to gun, but since they are not fitted they can tend to rattle a little bit in the barrel which doesn't hurt anything, but it drives me crazy! There is no way that the nylon insert can damage a chamber... Nylon vs steel? Think about it. And they were never pressed into the chamber, used to be glued into a machined hole, now they are inserted in a machined dovetail slot on the outside of the tube chamber.

11. GlennH

GlennH TS Member

"I am a cheap bastard, but I don't budget firearms, fitness, or bicycles. Spend the money once, and be happy ever after.

I am a Briley distributor"

When nylon is used as a point of contact it must
    remain free of powder and other metalic abasives or they will indeed damage
    chambers, so will fitted tubes if you don't wipe them down. How much for a new nylon insert every 1000 rounds? I sand clean or change mine at first sign of
    crud! I'm a cheap SOB myself and payed the price for over looking the obvious.
    Glenn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

briley companion tubes missing nylon button

briley nylon buttons