1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sub gauge tubes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Scottk, Feb 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottk

Scottk TS Member

I'm looking to eventually buy either Rhino Stingers or Briley Companions to be used in a Browning 525 12 Ga. I'm an occasional skeet and sporting clays shooter. I'm looking for some opionions and also wondering if anyone has had problems with either product. Thanks, Scott

2. Wolfman

Wolfman Member

They work very well. Surprisingly, the pattern nicely, and I know several skeet shooters you have them. Preference seems to be for full length tubes. Briley seems to get the nod in my neck of the woods.

3. GeezerGlide

GeezerGlide TS Member

Scott, you have a PM. Jim Poor

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The 20 gauge works well, the 28 gauge not too bad and the 410 doesn't work very well. I think you will find that to be the general consensus ... at least that has been my experience and many others have said the same thing to me. Bill Malcolm

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Go Briley between those two choices-

6. high 2

high 2 Member

The longer the tube the better. The short tubes will give some very strange reports with the 410. Larry

7. 12ShotTwo

12ShotTwo Member

I use the 20, 28 and 410 Briley compainion tubes on my Browning 425 for skeet. I think they work great for me. On my gun I need to use skeet chokes for the 20 and xfull for the 28 and 410 so the tubes don't rattle in the 12 gauge barrels. Joe

8. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

I have never had the short tubes, always fitted full length tubes, but the above information is in line with what others I shoot sporting clays with report. I had a full set of fitted Briley's on my old gun, and my Optima Barrel gun has Kolars. Both have been dependable and I am glad to have them.

9. Anchorsteam

Anchorsteam TS Member

My wife has a set of Stinger .410 tubes and they work well for an occasional shoot. Briley Companions are great, however the business analysis for a set of 20, 28 and .410 Companions is slim compared to a fitted set. Makes sense if you are buying a single gage set though. You can get companions in the Ultralight configuration as well and save a couple ounces. Briley will even make you a set of shorter Companions in case you want to save even more weight. The big hassle on Stinger, NON fitted tube sets is that getting them to stay in the gun when you open it is tricky and sometimes a lot of hassle because of an O-ring fitment system. Some folks can get them to fit up just right - sometimes no.

Briley companions have a hard plastic bead that is set in the aluminum chamber area and when you knock the tube in, that plastic bead makes the fit very tight. Just as if the tubes were custom fitted you your gun. The result is that when you open the gun and the ejector push up on the extractor, the tube stays IN THE gun, but the spent shell gets pushed out.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The short tubes do not work well with slow burning powders that are used in the 410. HMB

11. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

I load my 410s with fast burning powders...

12. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have tried them all, the Briley companion tubes, fitted tubes, Chambermates, and the Rhino Stingers.
    They all pattern OK and I have shot skeet with all gauges, only used the 20ga on sporting clays.
    The full length Briley tubes were too heavy in my Browning 525 30" 12ga so I sold them. I still have a companion Ultralight 28ga set for my Winchester 101 W/26" bbls.

The Chamber mates worked best in the .410ga. I did not like the other guages.

I ended up with the Rhino Stingers in all three guages. They are 15" long.

The advantages of the Rhinos are less weight, well made, two different choke tubes for each guage, and they will work on any of my 12ga shotguns.
    The disadvantage is the o'rings. They do not seem to last too long. You also need to figure out what sizes work the best on each shotgun. When properly installed the tubes will stay in the shotgun when you eject the empties.

Bob

13. Scottk

Scottk TS Member

Thanks to everyone who replied. I appreciate the info.
    Scott

14. Copper46

Copper46 Member

Briley has choke tubes for the 28 and 410 so they dont rattle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.