1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub gauge tubes, Briley or Kolar?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 1perazzi, Apr 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 1perazzi

1perazzi Member

Hi all I'm interested in getting some sub gauge tube for my Perazzi 31.5" barrels. Is it necessary to send the barrel to the manufacture for fitting? What brand would you recommend? Is one heavier then the other? Can I convert the trigger for lighter gauge myself. What other considerations should I consider?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have had both- both companies ebb and flow with quality and customer service

Lean Briley here

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. trapperpg

trapperpg Member

The best shooting tube set I had came from Purbaugh, but of the two you mention, I have had better customer service from Briley.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

"Is it necessary to send the barrel to the manufacture for fitting?" Unless you go with Briley Companions (which are more expensive than, and yield an inferior result, to fitted tubes) you'll need to send the whole gun in to have subgauge tubes fit, not just the barrels.

"What brand would you recommend?" I've shot Kolar tubes my entire life, and have no reason to change. Most of the top 10 high average .410 shooters have shot Kolar tubes in the past few years...

"Can I convert the trigger for lighter gauge myself." Probably not. If you have to ask, you're better off having them converted when the tubes are installed. It doesn't take much to turn a fairly cheap job into an extremely expensive one if you mess up your trigger.

5. rhett1977

rhett1977 Member

People get caught up in what the "top 10 shooters shoot" crap. So what??? They can shoot Brileys, Kolars, a 4 barrel set with their talent and still be top 10.

Briley has excellent customer service. I bought a used gun that came with tubes and there is a transfer fee with Briley if you need warranty service. I called them and told them I am not the original owner. They said we don't know that so send them in and we will fix it no charge. That's hard to beat. Also you can change chokes in Brileys without taking the tubes out.

Kolar has decent customer service. Have to take the tubes out to change chokes. Here they're more expensive because we have so many Briley dealers.

Toss a coin. Heads or tails. They're both good.

Btw what were the top 10 in doubles, 12, 20, and 28 shooting. Lol. Couldn't resist

6. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

RE: Customer service

Needed to send in my 28 gauge Kolar tubes (not an emergency). Explained I was hoping to have the work done before an upcoming shoot. Was told they would see what they could do. Sent out overnight on a Monday and had them back on Friday.

7. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Have had them both, prefer and recommend Briley Ultimate Ultralites. You only buy them once, but you will be happy every time you shoot them.

As was said, chokes can be changed without removing tubes. Warranty is without peer.

Send in the whole gun, you must get trigger conversion for the 410 tubes. Find a local Briley dealer who will help you get the best price. Many, like myself, charge 10% over dealer cost.

I recommend LT SK, LT SK, IC, LM for each gauge with the Ultimate tubeset. SK, SK, IC, LM for the lesser tubes. This covers you for Skeetie chores and Baby Bore Sporting.

8. David McMillen

David McMillen Well-Known Member

If you already have mechanical triggers, you only need to send in barrel to have tubes fitted.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

My 20 guage Kolar tube split in front of chamber length wise about 1 inch long. Would that be a covered repair or replacement? HMB

10. msmith

msmith Member

Hmb, I split a Kolar 20 ga tube and it was replaced in 2 days with no charge. My son split a Briley and also was repaired for free.

11. biercart

biercart Member

My vote is for Briley, they have unmatched customer service, one thing that I like about briley if you are going to shoot sub gauge sporting clays make sure to get extended chokes this way you can change them out much easier and also see what choke constriction you have in each barrel by just looking at the band on the choke, Kolar does not offer extended chokes.

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Anybody that thinks kolar tubes have to be removed from the barrels to change chokes has obviously never shot kolar tubes. Their choke tubes remove exactly the same as any other choke, and do NOT need to be removed from the barrel to change the chokes.

13. john ellis

john ellis Member

I have both--the 20 and 28 are about the same--but the kolar has the best 410 tubes imo. they sure break targets --John

14. billn

billn Member

I have had Briley tubes for several years, for a Beretta 682, I had problems with the 410 skeet chokes ,pattern had holes in it, Briley replaced them with out no charge and the replacements had no holes in the pattern. They shoot great and I had to send in the whole gun for the triggers to be set for the 410 when they were putting in the tubes.

15. gailmk67

gailmk67 Member

Brileys for Skeet, Kolars AAA for Sporting Clays. Great service from both companies.

Regards, Joe

16. drgondog

drgondog Member

The only caution re: briley is that I could not shoot ribbed shells (i.e. Perazzi)in the 28 and .410. Stuck all the time. Win AA or Rem - never a problem

17. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I've had both. Now my main gun and back up are Kolars. I never had decent 410 patterns from the Briley tubes. I prefer Kolars.

18. DB Bill

DB Bill Active Member

My preference is for Kolar's mostly because I've shot my best scores, especially in the .410, with them. I've also had superb custome service when I wanted to try different chokes and Rags sent me a box of them to try with instructions to return the ones I didn't like - didn't even charge me for shipping.

I also had a set of Briley's in a Perazzi and I couldn't say anything negative about them except I liked the Kolar's better.

My experience with Briley customer service has been "spotty" with respect to having screw-in chokes installed although the problems were eventually resolved.

19. jergott

jergott Member

Depending on what you plan on doing with the gun, there are different options available. If you intend on shooting 12ga out of the gun as well I would recommend Briley ultimate ultralights. I had a 31 1/2" Mt6 with standard weight tubes for a short time and it was too much for me to steer (Im 6'3" and go about 260). If you dont plan on shooting the 12ga I would go with a carrier barrel setup from Kolar. If weight isnt a concern than its a coin toss between the two. Either way I think you would be happy with either of the brands. As far as what the top shooters use? Money talks. Whoever writes the check for their entry fees is who the top shooters are going to use as far as tube sets are concerned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley companion tubes review
briley sub gauge tubes

kolar sub gauge tubes

kolar sub guage tubes
kolar subgauge tubes
kolar tubes
sub gauge shotgun tubes
sub gauge tubes