1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Sub gauge tube set

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by headhunter, Jan 31, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if you can get a fitted tubeset, refitted to another gun? Would Briley do it? Seems like they should be able too if they are long enough.
    Thanks

2. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I've been down this road. I inquired about having a set of Briley sub-gauge tubes "refit" to a different gun. One Krieghoff to another Krieghoff.

I was informed that it is not possible. The issue is that tubes are hardened after they are fit to the chamber diameter of the specific barrells they were made for. Thereafter, I was told by Briley, that to machine the tubes "down" to fit another gun was nearly impossible as they would tear up several cutters getting thru the hardened surface.

This may or not be their way of selling another set of tubes - but suffice to say they were not willing to attempt this. Apparently the interior dimensions of the barrels are sufficiently different that each tube set must be custom made for each set of barrels.

The chance of tubes being "interchangeable" is pretty slim - you might try to sell the existing set on eBay with a prominent disclosure re: the potential issue re: fit.

Good luck.

Noel Kendall

3. pikepoola1racer

pikepoola1racer Member

Noel,
    I had the same question, thank you for your answer.
    Pikepoola1racer

skeet100 thanked this.
  4. yobyllib

yobyllib TS Member

You would need a dial bore gauge amd 1" micrometer,a lathe,and coarse emery/crocus cloth to do it right,and even then,only to remove .001 or .002" at most,and that is a lot.Some do the shoeshine method on the highspots,but generally if you dont have experience fitting parts,like in manufacturing,not worth it IMHO,and you may eff them up .
    Any larger youll be there forever.Has to be real close to begin ith[measured],
    and only on the steel chamber area,not the annodized tube.
    The may Nitride coat that area now too,if so forget it.High hard surface.

Companion tubes are what you want,but for the same bore eg invector,not invector plus as the tubes for backbore guns wont fit standard invector
    Dont bother with 12/20 tubes,you will want them briley fit regardless.

5. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Sometimes they will fit another gun, especially if it is a similar gun, e.g. K-80 to K-80. Not always, but more that a "slim" chance they will.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Sounds like a one sided explanation, why do they have to be machined down? What if the dimensions of the new gun are larger? HMB

7. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I bought a used set of Briley tubes that fit my 686 SP. I know that I had to make a slight modification using nail polish on the sleeves/rim that fitted in the barrel to make them fit tight. A local machine shop said they had the capability to machine the tubes if needed. Thank goodness they didn't need that. Jackie B.

8. kicker

kicker TS Member

On K-80's tubes can be refitted if the bore sizes are the same. IE: .732 bore to .732 or .735 to .735. another consideration is to look for an extra set of bbls that already have the tubes. If you are looking for a set with sub gauge tubes they can be bought for an avg. price of 3000.00. This is for 30 inch bbls. 28 inch bbls normally will bring about 2700.00.

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

thats a heck of a flinch you have there,,,you may want to shoot more .410

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Any good Machinist or tool maker can fit them for you if the problem is that the tubes are too big for the gun you want to use them in.

I did it for a guy I shoot with, it took about 20 minuets.

11. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Headhunter, bottom line is that Briley will not longer refit their tubes to another gun barrel. Kolar used to advertise that they would refit their tubes to another gun, but I have not seen that add in over a year. So not sure if they would even do it anymore. Your dreaming if you think that Kolar would refit Briley tubes. All warrenties would be void if tubes sent back in a different barrel that they were fitted too anyway!!! Its just not worth it period!!! Hope this helps you. Break-em all. Jeff

12. samme_no2

samme_no2 Member

I have a set that go from 12 GA. to 28 GA, and they go in my Weatherby, or my Browning XT with no problem. Harry

13. Miles_B

Miles_B TS Member

I am looking for 32" 28ga & 410 ultra lite Briley's. It odesn't matter what gun they where fit to. I can re-fit them to my gun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sub gauge tube set

suting odesns add