1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid things I've done and seen at shoots!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jan 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Stupid things I

Hello:
    My first state shoot that I attended was back in 1970. I was rather new to the sport and I read all I could get my hands on regarding trapshooting. Dan Bonnilas was the man in shooting back then. That's the guy I looked up to when I first started. The night before the shoot I made sure I cleaned my 870TB, reloaded Federal papers until 2am that morning. I went to the grocery store and purchased enough food to feed a army. I packed up the grill and I was set.

I am out at the club around 6am, I get a great spot to park my car, first row next to the traps. I had dreams of winning class E or D because I was now averaging 22.9 in my first trap league. I planned to take the trap world by storm, at least I thought I would.

I signed up to shoot, I played all the money, and I am ready to shoot. My 100 straight turned into a 86. I was disappointed, but I wrote it off as nerves. Later in the day I put the grill on, and placed big hunks of meat on the grill. I felt although I did not know many ATA shooters, I could offer them something to eat and I could make some new friends. The grill is going strong, if you judge a grill by the amount of smoke coming out of your Weber, I had the best.

Suddenly, I get a nudge on my shoulder and I am thinking the guy is going to ask for a bite. The veteran shooter says"son, it's hard enough shooting 27 yard handicap targets without any smoke. My squad can not even see the the trap house with all the smoke coming out of grill". I said I was sorry and shut off and moved the grill. I told the man that I was rather new to the sport and it never dawned on me that I was messing up their shooting. I felt like a dunce that first day, but learned quickly proper shooting etiquette.

Years later, I was shooting with the same squad that I shot with for almost 40 years. My friend put a Remington 31 TC up for sale in a rack right in front of the gun club, with his name and the price on a piece of paper sticking out of the barrel. We were on our third trap shooting, and two of us were straight. While we were shooting a new shooter at his first state shoot interupts our squad and ask who owns the 31 tc that is for sale in the rack? My friend said it was his and he gives him the money and it resulted in him basically messing up our shooting but good. My friend told him he would see him after we finished shooting. None of us ran 100 that day. Some of the guys had some choice words for the guy who stoped our squad. I remembered the big mistake that I made my first year with the grill and told them he's new, he will learn.

Over the years I am sure we have all seen new and maybe not so new shooters make mistakes during shoots. Hopefully we learned by our mistakes?

Anyone make any mistakes when you first started shooting or see anyone else make them?
    Steve Balistreri

2. twotimer

twotimer Member

I've gotten into a groove or maybe it was a brain fart, and shot out of turn a couple of times. Not a way to make new friends. Mike

3. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I was shooting my first ever round of Double Trap. I would get the first target and be proud that I did. Then go OH I HAVE A SECOND. I would get that target after the score called it lost about 18 to 24 inches above the ground. The scorer was not happy with me. LOL

4. senior smoke

Vic Reinders once in awhile had to take the second bird in doubles a foot off the ground. He pumped them with his 31.
    Steve

5. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

froidguy,

I hear the annual "Tuff Man" shoot in Medicine Lake is next Saturday, Feb 5th........is that right? Got this from John Reed, haven't seen a poster on it but I've been snowed in for a week or so.

John C. Saubak

Peerless, MT

6. WindyOneNW

WindyOneNW TS Member

I was shooting a registered shoot at a club I am not fond of becuase they have terrible targets, one in five is a broken bird. Anyway I decide I am going to take advantage of this and have several extra shells. I proceed with my plan to shoot the peices rather than turn them down. Of course they don't count and I must reshoot at a whole target, for each broken target I shot I missed the whole I was to re-shoot! Brilliant plan I say.

7. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

Some times just showing up was really stupid.

8. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

I got to the sign up window with no money in my pocket.

I left my ammo bag in another vehicle at home.

Went to a vintage SxS shoot with an O/U.

I miss lots of birds in a round of trap before I found out I got skeet chokes in both barrels.

Giving advise to a new trap shooter how to get the high house bird on station 8.

The best of all, I went to a shoot on the wrong week.

9. senior smoke

Years ago when my children were kids I took them to the gun club. My wife had to work that day and I wanted to shoot a tournament. My kids promised me they would sit behind on the bench and watch me shoot the 16 yard event. With every shot I turned my head and made sure they were alright and made sure they were still on the bench watching me. While I am shooting my daughter starts waving to me and yells out that she has to go to the bathroom. This was the start of the day from hell at the gun club. I learned a lesson that day that young children do not belong at a gun club if there only parent that is with them intends to shoot. That year I was averaging around a 95 and I shot a 79 if that tells you what type of day it turned out to be.
    Steve

10. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Went to Montgomery shoot last year with hopes of meeting Devi and several other shooters. Turned out they were not talking about Momtgomery Alabama. Jackie B.

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

shot 75 out of 100 in singles.....walked to the truck and started putting everything away, cleaned my gun and turned around and everyone was standing on the last trap looking at me like I was nuts.......

tony

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

My then 12 year old son dry firing a $7000 Perazzi w/release trigger at the Grand in one of the Gun shops. I turned 8 shades of red and grabbed the boy by his neck. The owner smiled and said, "what you think that's a first?" I said, "i'm not sure but for him it will be the last". When we got out the door i said, "what the hell were you thinking?" My son said, without skipping a beat said, "i wanted to see how light they had the trigger set." 12 yrs old. what do you say to that? LOL :)

Matt

13. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sat on my shooting glasses just before taking the line.

Stood around at the Grand in Vandalia on my bank waiting to shoot and watching the 4 squads in front of me and got ready to take the line and ear plugs were back in the car 1/2 mile away. (dumbass mistake)

Showed up for doubles with my unsingle. (double dumbass mistake)

Rode golfcart all the way to field one at Sparta....shooting bag in car back at the campsite. (the mother of all dumbass mistakes)

Ya gotta' love it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.