1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Question Why do you use 1250 fps shells

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Dr.Longshot, May 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Do you feel you have an advantage shooting 1250 Fps shells? And why

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

2. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Yes! Because I have about 10 cases that I won Their free. LOL
    Joe

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Yes, for whatever reason, they seem to require less lead on the soft angles now thrown and are perceptually quicker to the target.

4. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Preference. I shoot 1180. My friend cant hit a target with the shell he liies it faster. Its what u prefer to me I could care less. 1100..1145..1180..1200...125...1290? Dosent madder

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

BigM-Perazzi, you're so right guy because trap is a matter of inches instead of feet! Try some very long crossers with a 1100 fps and the 1290s if you really want to see the advantages of speed? That said, regardless of speed, shooting behind a target is a lost target in any shotgun game!

Hap

6. trapshooteraa27aa

trapshooteraa27aa Well-Known Member

Because my 1600 fps shells kick to much.

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hap, I actually believe its only about recovery from recoil that gives the perception it breaks faster. the math just doesn't support what is perceived...

but, the energy difference is real...

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

Jim, if there's more energy per pellet or bullet, there must be more velocity for that to happen for equally weighted projectiles?

I put a couple inches of sand in a 3 pound coffee can and shoot one side with X, turn the can 180 degrees and shoot the opposite with XX. I've aerated a bunch of coffee cans over the years testing penetration of pellets. If load X merely puts small dents in one side and load XX puts holes clear through the opposite side, load XX will kill cleaner also! How much extra energy do we need for clay targets? Not much till we stretch the distances out, same for game birds.

This is a very easy test when trying it with various shotguns and loads and the results will surprise most when they see repeated results happen. Some shotgun barrels have better penetration time after time than others can with as precise loads as one can load!! Did you know that penetration tests were the first ever contests held with shotguns of old? A whole nutther ballgame too!

Hap

9. running bear

running bear Member

Yes, it was a stupid question.

Buck

10. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Takes less pellets to break target

11. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Running bear, are you really surprised?

Bryan

12. mallard2

mallard2 Active Member

The three reasons you missed your last lost target: First,Recoil, guess the other two.

13. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

I don't agree it was a stupid question. I enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts and observations. But, I'll continue to use light loads.

14. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I also though it was a good question. BTW, running bear, did you ever catch Little White Dove?

15. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

So that my #8 shot has enough energy to break the pieces of a broken target (or whole) at 75 yards just before it hits the ground while shooting at the 30 yard line at Annie's and miss and outs. Otherwise I don't shoot them. To much recoil. break em all Jeff

16. SevenMaryThree

SevenMaryThree Member

I can't tell the difference until I use the 1350s. Then I know I'm getting belted. The targets don't care either way.

17. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

Hap, Thats why 7 1/2's are better than 8's. I prefer 1235 Rem Nitros instead of 1250's. Won my only Grand Trophy with 1235's.
    Clyde

18. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Dumb question - right, or is this a fishing expedition?

Suppose a meteor hits the earth traveling at 50MPH, and another meteor of the exact same size impacts the earth at 1,000MPH, wonder which one carries the greatest energy (KE=½mv^2)? Hence, Hap's and snyder's responses that each pellet carries more energy to break a target.

WW

19. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

It's called Kinetic's....

Curt

FEAB9

20. icelander36

icelander36 Member

Because under the lights from 40 yards out shooting Annies people would tell me" You sure dusted that bird". " Not big enough chip to call dead but pellets all around the bird". I added more powder and raised my speed up to 1250= 1275 fps from 1200fps and now I do not hear that being said I hear " Dead bird" on my second and third shots. I works for me so I will keep doing it at the clubs that allow it. Last night at Evergreen Sportsman club I shot two fourth shots in a row and broke the bird about a foot above ground. That elimanated six shooters with two shoots so I split the pot with Leon Dye my mentor and friend.
    Lyle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reload shells 1250 fps