1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stupid question....What is a marathon?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by cole-mitchell, Mar 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cole-mitchell

cole-mitchell TS Member

Is it just a registered Shoot with 100 singles Handicap and Doubles in one day?

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Around here it's 3 to 5 hundred of any one discipline. Singles, HCP, or doubles.

HM

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is a lot of shooting in one day with very little waiting around. Too bad they don't do it more often. HMB

4. clayman51

clayman51 Member

Usually on singles and doubles, not on handicap.

Dennis

5. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

The doubles marathon that is thrown at Redlands Shooting Park in Southern California, from what I'm told is--shoot as many as you wish and can get squaded for-- usually 500 targets is about the max.

First Wednesday of the month, with great prizes and wonderful food.

Phil

6. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Rid us of the unnecessary info and "marathon targets" are simply shooting one discipline one after the other. Id est a 500 bird Singles or doubles Marathon is just that; a day of shooting up to 500 singles or doubles....Bob Dodd

7. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

26.2 miles or 42.16 kilo's. FD

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Well, yeah, there's that too!....Bob Dodd

9. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Ok when I first got with my girl friend back in 93 she went to work the next day and when I went to her job site that night all her girl friends was calling me a Marathon Man and they said she was smileing all day.

What ever that means so I have shot a few marathon's also.

foghorn

10. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Well old Foghorn you went a little over the line that time ????

KEYBEAR

11. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

KEYBEAR :

Ok I meant I have also shot a few of the 1,000 bird singles marathon along with other types like 500 handicap of course only 200 could be used for reduction purposes and even some doubles marathons.

But no I never ran a Marathon at all I can barely walk to the car much less run.

Ok it's no telling what she told her girl friends that day I know as Martha Stewart would say it was a good thing.

fog

12. Janet

Janet TS Member

Shot 500 singles marathon at Airport Gun Club in Ohio and most fun I ever had shooting. Since I was a new shooter, it was great practice and shot with some really good shooters. I was the only lady to finish. As I recall one shooter broke 499 that day. We had 12 minutes after finishing 100 before we started again, now, that's a marathon. But to me, I was simply elated to have finished.

Janet CJ

13. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Janet, wasn't that one of the nicest places to shoot? Used to travel at least twice a year to Airport to shoot their marathon. Surprised this is the first time anyone has mentioned that gun club on here. Have some team 1st place buckles around here from one of those shoots.

A "marathon" for me is having the guy on station one mount his gun 4 or 5 times before he calls. Then the guy on two doesn't know you can load his 870 thru the OPEN ejection port instead of putting one in the magazine and racking the slide. He IS safe though, he puts the safety on after every shot and sometimes forgets to take it off. The shooter on three takes a step backward after every shot and has to reposition himself before he can call for the target. I shoot. The guy on five has an o/u and can't quite figure out which barrel is working better so he switches the selector back and forth and ......well you get the idea. lol

I know, shoot with people that understand which end the shot comes out of and you won't have this problem. Sometimes you just want to shoot a few rounds of practice at the local club and you don't want to sound like some kind of big shot so you jump in on and open squad. That is a marathon.

I shot with the same 4 guys for about three years. We could shoot the whole 100 in less time than one of these squads takes for 25.

AJ100

14. Janet

Janet TS Member

AJ 100 - Airport Gun Club still going strong and having registered shoots as well as fun shoots. I too, received some trophys from that club and was so proud. Where are you from?

Janet CJ

15. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Janet, SW PA.

AJ100

16. monroesc

monroesc Member

We have one coming up Saturday of Memorial Day Weekend--1000 Doubles or Singles. We believe in a real marathon!
    Monroe Sportsmans Club--Conneaut, OH

17. wv trap shooter

wv trap shooter TS Member

Have also been talking about running a singles and handicap marathon.

18. wv trap shooter

wv trap shooter TS Member

We have held a 1000 bird doubles marathon the last three years.

19. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

I ran 42 marathons in my younger years and now I complain if my starting trap is 200 yds away. Screw the Golden years. FD

20. Pull Bang

Pull Bang Member

Marathon:

A battle in 490 BC in which the Athenians and their allies defeated the Persians.

Well, "thats what WordWeb said". (LOL) Just couldn't restrain myself.

Frank

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.