1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stupid question re: 5.56/.223 ammo.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bcnu, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Being new to the ar platform, what is the difference between 5.56 and .223 ammo. Are they not the same thing? Just bought a dpms panther and it is stamped 5.56 on the barrel. John

2. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Your choice(5.56) will shoot both ammos with no problem. A gun chambered in .223 has a shorter throat it's not recommended to shoot 5.56 in it since it may cause higher than desired pressures. You done good.

Bob Falfa

3. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

It's actually not a stupid question.

See the link above or any of a number of other articles for more info.

Basically, you can shoot .223 in a 5.56-chambered rifle, but you shouldn't shoot 5.56 in a .223-chambered rifle.

And, you should check to make certain your rifle is in fact 5.56 (despite how the barrel is marked.)

4. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

Good deal. I knew that there would be an answer here shortly, better than google lol. Just got back from Academy a little while ago. 50 people standing in line at the gun/ammo counter. The ammo shelves were 3/4 empty. (.308 is 54 bucks for a box of 20!) I finally make it to the counter to check on some 5.56 ammo, says they took 5000 rounds of Monarch .223 to the customer service counter at 930 this morning, limit one box per person at $5.91 per 20 round box. So I take my one box, which is not even a full magazine, go home and get the wife and two kids to go back and get a box each. Now need a scope for it so I can go out and break it in next weekend. Thanks for the answer guys. John

5. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Only point I could add to the above is both .223 & 5.56 ammo are overpriced and perhaps limited. What a difference 3 months has made. In early December, 2012 you could buy new Lake City for approx. $399.00 per thousand; now the sky is the limit. Good luck. BT100dc

6. fcd67

fcd67 Member

Which Panther did you get?

7. SKB-Eric

SKB-Eric Member

To totally say - not to shoot 5.56 in a rifle marked .223 REM, is just plain misleading.

I have a Savage 10FP Tactical - it is marked .223 REM, but I called Savage directly to ask about 5.56 and they assured me, since the rifle is designed for LE and military use, that all commercial and military 5.56 ammo is completely acceptable and safe.

Guess if in doubt, call the manufacturer, like I did.

Link above has more about the Savage rifle I mention.

Eric

8. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I just got back from a gun show where there was 30% of the normal vendors there! it was a complete waste of time!

The one guy who had primers and powder had sold it all in unlimited quanitites to "Hoarders."

He had virtually nothing left.

I say "hoarders" because no one needs or can shoot up 25 cases of pistol or rifle primers in a reasonable amount of time. It would take years to shoot 125,000 rounds of ammo, and I do realize that some people do shoot that much trap or pistol but no one shoots that much high power rifle simply because they couldn't afford to replace the barrels.

If you're loading commercially or for legitimate high volumn shooting then you would normally be buying from wholesalers and not gunshows.

Limiting buyers so many can have some, is good businees as far as I'm concerned. Selling large lots to Hoarders who aren't even going to shoot jsut makes everythign worse.

My .02

Randy

9. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Well Randy you will get your revenge when the price goes down and they have that high price ammo. I know a couple of people I'm going to low ball an offer with a smile on my face when ammo comes plentiful again. lol

10. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

Trouble is ...it may not go down ever again.

11. snkypete

snkypete Member

I saw .223 reloads selling at a gun show for a buck a round, bag of 50, $50.00. And he had some buyers.

12. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Obama's plan is to tax guns/ammo out of sight.....the less people who can afford shooting, the less pro-gun voters to oust the Democrats....

Soon there will be EPA (lead) and CDC (guns) pseudo-scientific "studies" conducted by left-wing "scientists" to add another layer to the anti-gun agenda....these people are out to change the "gun culture" it is an all-out blitz!

I doubt ammo will be cheap again as long as Democrats are in power!

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

I was told they were selling 556 223 ammo for $900.00 per 1,000 rds at a recent gun show, bet not many buyers.

GB
    DLS

14. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Our local Walmart gets these in about once a week. Only $154.00 per tin of 500 rounds. Be patient and savy and you can find the ammo at good prices.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. mag410

mag410 Active Member

lwr,

Do you have the stock number for the case of Tula? The ladies at my local Wal-Mart just give me a blank look when I ask about it.

Michael

16. lwr_

lwr_ Member

Michael,

Here is a closeup of the price sticker, if that helps.
    [​IMG]

17. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

The gun control issue is not going away anytime soon, they are just getting started.

18. mag410

mag410 Active Member

LRW,

Thanks for the UPC code, I will see if they can/will order it.

Michael

19. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

LOL, that's a good one mag410. Let us know how that works out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.