1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stupid Adjustable Rib Question?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gyrine, Feb 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

What a boot question, I should know this. With an adjustable rib it seems that if I lower the rib, by that I mean lower the front bead it should raise the point of impact, same as raising the comb on a non adjustable rib. Am I right?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

Move the rear site (comb) the direction you want POI to go. Move front sight
    (bead) the opposite direction you want POI to go.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Yes, if you are using the front bead to sight the target. But, for most, doing that is a fundamental mistake.

Pat Ireland

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

And now I'd like to hear how adjustable ribs are supposed to work if you take Pat's advice and _don't_ use the front bead.

Neil

6. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I have come to the conclusion that though we should not be focusing on the bead but rather on the target at some point our, or at least my eye, picks up the bead as a refference to the target. It could also be done with out a bead by using the end of the barrel. I doubt that it is a consciouse act but It does happen. I questioned this very thing with Daro one day and he is very serious about bead relationship to/with the target. It is possible to shoot with out the bead but your brain makes a determination when to let go/ Pull the trigger based on something. Post-2

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Never listen to Pat. HMB

8. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Thanks guys, I thought I knew what I was doing but still wondered about it. I was trying to dial in a gun with adjustable rib and comb this morning. To compound the problem my eyes kept shifting dominance, first time I have ever had a problem with that. Maybe I was paying to much attention to the bead trying to figure out where the gun was shooting. Got out the tape, hope it is temporary. gyrine

9. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you want to raise the POI lower the front of the rib, and raise the comb to get same sight picture as before, so it is the same.

Anyone telling you differently is full of bullsh*t.

Your sight picture needs to be the same as before adjustment, and the same after adjustment, this may be simpler.

Trust me I know, I have an sdjustable rib on my CG.

On a CG sight picture remains the same sight picture remains the same when you lower the Bbl closer to the rib, but it will shoot higher.

A Perazzi you need to chamge the comb.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Stupid Adjustable Rib Question ???

Gary- You accurately described a way to raise the POI, but was it done by lowering the front sight or raising the comb?

Pat Ireland

11. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Gosh Longsh?t I'm sure he was just waiting for you to confirm what he had already been told. God are you impressed with yourself.

Don

12. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

If you first lower the front sight to increase POI, and then for instance lower the comb to get an acceptable sight picture, have you not in fact, by lowering the comb lowered the POI? I had always assumed that the more distance between the beads the higher the POI. Maybe I missed something here by assuming that the sight picture was the relationship between the front and middle bead or how much of the rib you see. gyrine

13. roofcutter1

roofcutter1 TS Member

The only thing that changes the POI is the comb or an adjustable butt pad in the up or down position! The adjustable rib is for sight pitcure only!!!!!!!!!

14. crusha

crusha TS Member

Not true. Replace your front bead with a beer can, and tell me the rib doesn't change POI.

Otherwise, it would be impossible to change POI on a pistol by adjusting the sights, since pistols don't _have_ stock combs to move.

And no - the fact that you "aim" rather than "point" a pistol has nothing to do with it. The rib matters - period.

15. Post  2

Post 2 TS Member

I have a tendency to disreguard a person who says "Trust me". Seems like they are always trying to sell you something. Post-2

16. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

With a fixed iron sight rifle or pistol the only way you could change POI was with the front sight, so that it was even with the top of the rear sight, was by filing down the front sight, that would only allow you to raise POI. The only other options were to change the hold on the target or move the front sight picture up or down, front sight in relation to the rear sight, front sticking up or a light space below the top of the rear sight. Seeing more or less of the slide between the sights if you cared to look. Old 1911 shooter.

By the way, I never paid attention to the shotgun sights at all just focus on the target, before today, when my eyes decided to argue about who was dominate and I ended up cross firing like crazy.

I asked Phil Kiner about the importance of sight picture this last year because he teaches to hard focus on the target, most important, but also he teaches how to adjust comb and rib. His answer, paraphrased, "your brain knows where the bead is in relation to the target and pays attention to it, even if you don't see it". Made sense to me, I think he is a very intelligent guy who puts a lot of thought into this game and on top of it, is one hell of a shooter. gyrine

17. phirel

phirel TS Member

When shooting a pistol, you look at the sights, not the target. When shooting a shotgun, you look at the target, not the sights. Changing the POI of these two types of guns is done very differently.

If one actually does aim with the front sight of a shotgun, then lowering the sight would raise the POI. But most shooters do not see the front sight as they shoot trap. For these shooters raising, lowering or removing the front sight would have little affect on the POI. Raising or lowering the comb has a major influence on where the gun shoots.

Pat Ireland

18. gyrine

gyrine TS Member

Pat, Now that makes sense in a simple basic way. Thanks for your input. gyrine

19. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

Pat you must shoot a low rib gun. If you are shooting off the end of the barrel then adjusting your rib doesn't matter. That said, if you are using a high rib barrel then your sub-concious must make reference to the end of the rib. This is when adjusting the rib can come into effect for adjusting the poi. Biggest problem is making sure you are not sight checking when using a high ribbed barrel. Once you become used to the high ribbed barrel you have the ability to use either rib adj or comb adj or both to acheive the poi that you desire.

Bob

20. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Now, let's see.......where do I start?.... Been here, done this, and have the shirt..... Dan Thome (Trap2)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.