1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stump Grinders

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by oleww, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleww

oleww Member

Last pine cutting on the family farm was so poor ($$ wise) that we didnt have the timber company clear the stumps. A year later, we are seeing that was a mistake. We have hundreds, no thousands, of little 6" stumps all over the place. We had to cut all trees because ohey had a bug in them. The residual stumps range from 4" to 20"

I tried to shoot one stump out. A box of trap loads, a box of old steel shot loads, and a hand full of buckshots and slugs proved the stump could take more than I.

Any advice on renting a little stumpgrinder. Or should I pay a dozer. My little komotsu dozer wont pulls these stumps....

any ideas?

2. crusha

crusha TS Member

Kudos on trying the shotgun. I once did the same with a branch that was partially broken off and dangling near the house up kinda high where I couldn't get to it easily. My BPS eventually brung her down with a crash...but after a box and a half of shells, I didn't necessarily feel too proud of it.

3. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

It depends upon your soil type but I got rid of an old maple stump in Illinois, but mulching it in and letting mother nature take care of it.

Cover it up with a couple of inches of topsoil and followed by mulch to hold the moisture in and a couple of years later no stump.

I did pay to have one elm stump removed in the front yard per wife's instructions and it cost more than I like to remember ten years ago? The guy wouldn't use his grinder unless the soil was free from stones since he was scares of breaking out all the windows in the neighborhood and replacement cost for each tooth was expensive.

Good Luck,
    TNCoach

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

bury them with a backhoe.

Start by digging a hole, and use the backhoe to root out the stumps. Pile them in the hole and cover them up.

I know a guy who does that with some pretty good size stumps.

HM

5. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

With the smaller ones use a backhoe. It should pic them out like a wart. It will be faster then a stump grinder. If you have not handles a stump grinder before it can be dangerous. It will jump around and buck. Try the backhoe on the small ones and see how many larger ones you have for a dozer or someone to come in with a stump grinder.

6. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

Hire the biggest dozer you can get.. It will run through them like water through a screen door, Will do the work in half the time a smaller dozer will and in the end it will cost less.. I KNOW... forget the stump grinder if you have more than 10 to do..

7. andybull

andybull Active Member

I rented a large excavator and pulled out over 3,000 stumps (pine, deep tap root), mostly 14" in diameter. By the time my guy got done pulling them and then burning, I had broken even.

Andy

8. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

We had 1200 Pines cut from a 25 year old Conservation Planting on our family farm two years ago. Four of us then spent several casual weekends cutting the stumps flush to the ground. I can see some new starts sprouting in about 15% of the stumps that we didn't flush-cut. Bulldozers and backhoes are expensive. If you don't have a problem with flush-cut stumps why bother with the expense?

BTW, it proved to be some very good exercise....lol

Kip

9. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Hire the dozer. Put them in a pile and burn them.

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I have never seen a tree with a deep tap root, I have had 100 yr old oak trees blow over and none of the roots went over 2' in the ground, I dont see how they stood as long as they did.

11. Treeguy

Treeguy TS Member

Depending on your situation, labor, time, money, terrain, etc, a medium wheel stump grinder(w/carbide tips) probably will do the work. A 4 wheel mounted type is best. Grind stumps and recycle the chips in the area or make compost (Is selling compost viable?). PS 1) Time will make stumps harder(drying). Living stumps easiest to grind. 2) Be sure all life cycles of infestation is taken care of. 3) Drill lots of holes in stumps and pour stump removal chemical into them to speed decay. Available @ garden/hardware stores.

12. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

He did mention hundreds no thousands of stumps! A person would have to spend months grinding out that many stumps! A big dozer with a ripper on the back would seem to be the ticket if really neccessary. If going to replant then maybe rent one of those cutter/grinders that is mounted on the side of a tractor or dozer they use to clear brush and trees along dich banks. The ones I have seen take out six inch or better trees.Looks sort of like a mower on steroids. Would not seem to be a big deal to use on on pine stumps that have a year of rot started on them already. Chew them up close to the ground and replant trees next to them, that is if trees are going to be the next crop. Otherwise the dozer then a HUGE land clearing disc that is pulled behind the dozer to level up the mess from dozing the stumps out if going to use the land for row crops.

13. perazzitms

perazzitms TS Member

I had an old science teacher that said his father cleared stumps with dynamite. 1/4 - 1/2 a stick usually did the trick. He called it 'burping' or something. Steel pipe sharpened on one end to clear out a channel under the stump, insert dynamite, light and move out of the way. When it went off, it wouldn't blow up the stump, just lift it out of the ground enough. Used to tell a story about one particular stubborn stump. Tried 1/4 stick twice and was still there. Finally used 3/4 of a stick - but the two 1/4 sticks had already pretty much did the job. Lit it off and up the stump came -- out of the ground -- over the truck -- into the ditch.

14. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I would recommend a mid size backhoe. Normally you can push on the stump up to ten inches and loosen it. I normally use a short chain and then lift the stump out. The larger stumps can have one side dug out about two feet and then push it over and lift it out. I rent the backhoes for $175. a day with 8 hours on the clock. A midsize escavator will do the job also and most have a blade to level the ground back out. I also rent them for the same price and just telling you that so you can use as a comparison. Our stump grinder is $225. a day(24hour period). You can do a lot of stumps if they are not that big in a day. One thing about the stump grinder is that eventually the bottom of the stump is going to rot and then you will have a hole to deal with. If you pull the stumps up then you can fix the holes now. Jackie B.

15. oldgahchamp

oldgahchamp Active Member

Check with some Tree Service or Right of Way clearing companies in your area. See if someone has a Hydroaxe. These things make quick work of stumps. Size does not matter. They work like a giant rotary mower. I am not joking. I have seen what they can do, but they won't be cheap. Larry Evans

16. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

That is the only good thing about fireants, they will have the stumps destroyed in no time.

I can ship ya about ten million if ya want em.

Gne J

17. onlym12's

onlym12's TS Member

How far do you have to move the stump's? A 4-5 yard loader is nice for carrying them and making a pile. Excavator for pulling and filling in the holes. Someone on a dozer that is not competant will have all your loam in the pile with the stumps. See if you can find someone with a root rake on a dozer instead of a pushing blade. If you have a lot of mud or ledge it is going to be harder with a dozer than an excavator. With the excavator you can shake a lot of the dirt out of the stump's which will allow them to burn better if you are allowed to burn them in the area that you live. If you are in no hurry I would pull the stump's out of the ground and leave them for a year, this allows them to dry out which will also let more dirt fall out when you come back and clear them.

Thank's Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.