1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Students Today?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by crusha, Jun 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crusha

crusha TS Member

Ok, let's see if we can get a rise out of Denny...

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

My observations of high school age students are that there are many good students today that would fit in well in any generation. They are respectful, intelligent and have a strong desire to succeed. They want to go to college and to make something of themselves.

I would also observe that many of today’s students come from home environments that make being successful a challenge. Single parents, parents in jail, poverty, and drug addicted parents are far more common than many people imagine.

If you could remove or better discipline about 10% of the problem students in many schools, IMO there would be a world of difference in school behavior and educational achievement.

Private schools IMO have higher educational achievement because they can remove disruptive students.

If we are talking about Ivy League schools, I have nothing to say except from my experience working in a bank audit department, two of the biggest crooks I ever met came from Ivy League schools. They stole or caused millions of loss and had little remorse. I remember one person’s explanation of his fraudulent behavior was that he felt like he was entitled to a house in a prestigious neighborhood because his classmates all came from rich families.

Did not Ted Kennedy have a problem with grades at an Ivy League school?

Ed Ward

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Branford Marsalis is a bright and thoughtful person and a very talented musician. Unfortunately he's also a pretty self-righteous and angry fellow whose opinions, on nearly every subject, are overly tainted by issues of race. I suspect that if you asked him why he likes pepperoni on his pizza his answer would include, either explicitly or implicitly, something to do with the after-effects of slavery. I exaggerate only slightly. No intelligent person would deny that African-Americans have suffered in this country, and still do. But in 2009, while an under-qualified black man who otherwise would probably not be President is sitting in the Whitehouse, I think it's time to get over "the struggle" and start being part of the team.

Marsalis' gig on Jay Leno's Tonight Show didn't work out very well basically because he refused to laugh at a white guy's jokes. That, my friends, is called racism.

-Gary

4. crusha

crusha TS Member

He is a fairly angry fellow...or seems to be.

5. bocephus

bocephus Member

GW22 said:
    No intelligent person would deny that African-Americans have suffered in this country, and still do.

That is true but how would they have lived if they never left Africa? Are they better off there or here? I am tired of us kicking ourselves here for all the atrocities when in fact they have had it much better here!

If we are that bad maybe they should try living in grass huts, wear loin cloths and go out everyday to rape and pillage their neighboring villages! Just like they do back home in Africa......

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Bocephus makes a pretty decent point.

A lot of our parents grew up in poverty and struggled, probably beyond what we can really imagine. Mine certainly did. And they died pretty poor too. But I don't get angry about that. Instead, look back on it with thankfulness that they set the groundwork and taught me things so that I could do a little better.

Bill Cosby has made some very sensible comments about young African Americans and I think they are much more constructive than those of Marsalis.

-Gary

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.