1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Student Suspended for Empty Casing

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Yosemite Sam, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

Found this at http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Read.aspx?ID=3975

Friday, May 30, 2008

Outrage Of The Week

This week’s outrage comes to us from Winchendon, Massachusetts where, in yet another case of “zero-tolerance” enforcement defying common sense, fourth-grader Bradley Geslak was suspended from Toy Town Elementary School for bringing a Memorial Day souvenir to school.

According to a May 29, Telegram.com article, a uniformed veteran gave the 10-year-old two empty rifle shell casings from blanks used during the town’s Memorial Day celebration Monday morning. Bradley gave one of the empty casings to his grandfather and kept the other as a souvenir. The trouble began when he took his souvenir to school the next day.

“He was just playing with it at lunch,” explained Crystal Geslak, Bradley’s mother. “He wasn't showing it to anyone; he had it in his hand and was playing with it.”

A teacher saw him with the harmless piece of brass and confiscated it. Ms. Geslak was then called at work and told to come and pick up her son, who had been suspended for five days!

Ms. Geslak arrived at the school to find her son in tears. “I was totally shocked. I couldn’t believe this was happening,” she said. “It was just an empty shell, not even from a real bullet. A sharpened pencil would be more dangerous than this piece of metal.”

“He was so proud to have been given them. His dad’s a veteran, his uncle’s a veteran, both his grandfathers are veterans. Memorial Day is a big thing to us. It’s a very important holiday and we have a big celebration every year,” Ms. Geslak said.

Ms. Geslak, who will be forced to miss work in order to stay home with her son, says she is worried about what having a “weapon-related suspension” on his school record will mean to his future.

To add insult to injury, the family says a school official told them that the shell would not be returned, and that the next step might involve assigning a probation officer to Bradley! Yes, you read that right, a probation officer.

A young boy punished over a harmless souvenir. By any standard, that’s outrageous.

If you’d like to express your concern over this incident, please visit http://www.winchendon.mec.edu/. To leave a voice message for Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools, please call 978-297-0031.

2. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

If that was my kid the school and all involved would be in court!

3. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Liberal schools run by LIBERAL IDIOTS! These bozos are a waste of perfectly Good Air! Everyone of them should be dropped off on a deserted island. Preferably one with plenty of poisonous snakes!

4. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

The superintendants voice mail box is full as of 11:26 PM EDST Saturday May 31. Keep on trying to call her. I know I will on Monday morning. I could not find a way to leave an Email to her. I do so hope they revisit this situation and that all of the Veterans organizations in the Sate of Massachusetts get involved in this. Even if that is the home of the soon to be dead we hope Teddy the gun grabber Kennedy! Bill

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Haskins Bill you said "The superintendants voice mail box is full as of 11:26 PM EDST Saturday May 31. Keep on trying to call her. I know I will on Monday morning. I could not find a way to leave an Email to her. I do so hope they revisit this situation and that all of the Veterans organizations in the Sate of Massachusetts get involved in this."

I can't speak for the Veterans but I can tell you the State's gun group the State equivalent of the NRA sure are this is a copy of an e-mail alert that I received Friday May 30, 2008.

Winchendon Youth Suspended for Memorial Day Souvenir

Dear GOAL members and friends,

We urge you to contact the Winchendon Superintendent of Schools regarding the following story. Please feel free to forward this message to those you know who might be interested. We need as many people as possible to call and let the school department know behavior like this will not be tolerated!

On May 29, 2008 the Worcester Telegram & Gazette published a story concerning a ten year boy who was immediately suspended when a school employee found him with a spent blank shell. According to the story entitled "Souvenir Rifle Shell Gets 4th Grader Suspended" the young man was given two of the spent casings by a uniformed veteran after a Memorial Day event.

"This is a tragic example of how far over the edge this state and our schools have gone. For the school officials to react in such a manner is simply inexcusable," said Jim Wallace Executive Director of Gun Owners' Action League. "We have apparently gotten to the point where people running our public schools have such a visceral hatred of anything remotely connected to our constitutional civil rights that they would severely punish anyone who so much as possesses a Memorial Day souvenir. Adults working within a public school should have the intelligence to know the difference between a safety threat and a child cherishing an inanimate object. The truly sad ending to this episode is that I fear the immature reaction by school officials will forever tarnish this young man's view on Memorial Day, Veteran's and his civil rights."

GOAL is urging all of its members to contact the Winchendon School Department and express their deep concern over the this incident. We would also urge our members to contact their elected officials and let them know that this sort of overreaction should not be tolerated.

Winchendon School Department
    Brooke Clenchy, Superintendent of Schools
    978-297-0031
    http://www.winchendon.mec.edu/

May 29, 2008

Souvenir rifle shell gets 4th-grader suspended

As you can see the e-mail that you requested is included. If all the gun owners on this site make their feelings known. No matter what state you live in it might make some of these liberal Meat heads realize that they could very well ruin a young life for simply believing in and being impressed by the workings of his Great country. Not to mention the fact that they very well may turn this young man into a democracy hater.

I will go so far as to say that all liberals should be smart enough to see that what these foolish rules are breaking down the very fiber of the Constitution of this country in the eyes of the youth of the country.

I have added the link to the Newspaper story. I put it here because I was not sure it would fit above

http://www.telegram.com/article/20080530/NEWS/805300710/1116/NEWSREWIND

Bob Lawless

6. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm a vet and a gun owner. I'll make sure that they hear from me! Enough of this silly crap. We shooters and vets need to stand up as a group. All of us; from every corner of this nation. When I was in the 4th grade, you could probably find a handful of .22 shells, and a couple of pocket knives in my pockets. What in the hell happened to our country?

7. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

My older brother and I had a little muskrat trap string. 10-12 traps. We would check the traps in the morning before school. He had an old Stevens Favorite .22 in case we had to dispatch a skunk, and sometimes I forgot to empty my pockets. All kinds of stuff ended up in my pockets...one late spring morning, I caught a small garter snake while waiting for the school bus. In my pocket it went...the girls on the playground at recess were not as impressed as the boys!

8. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Typical government jackass! And some people want to give these clowns more money.

I will not vote for anyone who says they are a supporter of public education. The best way to improve education in this country is to close all the government schools.

9. flylta

flylta TS Member

ttleadership@winchendonk12.org

Found this address for the leadership of the school. I have sent them an email asking if they realy believe this will teach the youngman critical thinking and reason or if it is a chance for his father and grandfather to teach him that they went to other lands to defend the freedom of caring and thinking Americns and the idiots too.

Ron

10. flylta

flylta TS Member

Failed to deliver to '<clandanno@winchendonk12.org>'
    LOCAL module(account clandanno@winchendonk12.org) reports:
    account is full (quota exceeded)
    Just got this back... I'll try again tomorrow.

11. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

What do you expect from a state that would keep electing Ted "Chappaquidick" Kennedy to the Senate?..Bill

12. Longhorn

Longhorn Member

Jim, you are exactly right. The principal and supt. are following the policies put in place by the board of education. I do not agree with the rules and policies but as an employee, the administrators are REQUIRED to follow the policies. There is, however, some common sense that needs to be in place in making decisions but to blame without really knowing all info is leading to poor judgment on the part of those blaming.

13. ivanhoe

Jim Miller you said "All of the rules and regulations of a school district are approved by the Board of School Directors" That is price less. In my post to this thread I included the web link to the story in the local Newspaper. If you had bothered to read the story you would have seen this statement by the School Committee Chairman.

"As a School Committee member I am not made privy to issues regarding students as the decision-making process is at the building level, and the responsibility lies with the principal,” agreed School Committee Chairman Michael Niles."

This was by the way a direct quote if you think that the newspaper just prints what ever they want then it is up to the SCC Mr. Niles to demand a retraction so far he has not done so. So as I see it he is either telling the truth or he is passing the buck.

AS far as your follower Mr Longhorn is concerned he obviously can't read either. If either one of you think that this is not a clear cut case of hypocritical behavior you are just as bad as the principal. First the Town puts on a Memorial Day Celebration and teach the children to respect the fact that many of their fellow towns people and American Heros gave their life for this country and then 2 days later, say guess what you little criminal you are being expelled for bring the very tools used to Salute these fallen Heros to school. You just don't get it do you this kind of behavior is Unamerican and unacceptable to most people at least the one that are Americans.

Bob Lawless

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Another urban legend. Fred

15. phirel

phirel TS Member

Fred- I don't think this situation is an urban legend. The story was sent to me, and many others last Friday in an e-mail from the NRA. The NRA usually gets stories like this correct.

Pat Ireland

16. ivanhoe

Jim Miller at no point in my post did I say I new what you are thinking. I did however say "If either one of you think that this is not a clear cut case of hypocritical behavior you are just as bad as the principal." that statement began with the biggest word in the English language "IF". So know I say if you feel guilty about what you said that is your problem.

I am guilty of nothing when it comes to this issue you made this statement "All of the rules and regulations of a school district are approved by the Board of School Directors. I would contact them. Better yet, run for the school board and get involved in the policy making." their is as far as I am concerned no excusable reason for siding with the Liberals on their abuse of common sense in the matter of harmless pieces of spent brass that was a blank round in the first place.

As far as I am concerned that is what you have done sided with them on this matter.

Bob Lawless

17. tom berry

tom berry Active Member

I sent an email to the principal of the school. I stumbled across their handbook and interestingly, there is a prohibition there for incendiary devices. I've copied it here.

INCENDIARY DEVICES

Possession and/or lighting of any incendiary device which would include, but not be limited to, firecrackers, bombs, dynamite, or live ammunition shall be prohibited on school property, school transportation, or at school-related activities/field trips.

Note, they mention live ammo, implying that spent ammo is NOT an incendiary device and therefore not prohibited. Further down in their handbook there is a weapons section that lists only ammo. However, one could, and should argue, that if spent ammo is okay in one section it okay in other sections.

18. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

GOAL is the gun owners Action League of Massachuisetts, check out the site for more info and updates

Winchendon Update

At approximately 5:00 pm on Friday GOAL's Executive Director, Jim Wallace, received a call from the Winchendon School Superintendent, Brooke Clenchy. As is normally the case the Superintendent stated that she could not discuss the details of the specific case, but did relay that there were other issues concerning this matter that were not reported by the press.

"The Superintendent was professional and pleasant to talk to. She conveyed to me that it was very important that the respect for Memorial Day and veterans not be tarnished," said Jim Wallace. "I also told her that while I was angry over the incident (at least how it was portrayed by the press), I was also concerned for her staff who might be violating laws by taking possession of certain items without a license. She told me that she was unaware that possession of the shell casing without a license was against the law, I offered to provide some training and education for her and any of her staff to prevent any problems for them in the future."

GOAL would like to thank our members who responded to this issue so quickly. GOAL will be watching this matter closely. We urge our members to use this occurrence as an example when contacting their legislators as to why the laws need to be reformed.

19. phirel

phirel TS Member

tom berry- Would you consider matches or a cigarette lighter incendiary devices? I would.

Pat Ireland

20. ivanhoe

flincher100 I will repeat this once more for those that don't seem to be able to follow the thread.

In the local newspaper there was a quote from the School Committee Chairman it reads "As a School Committee member I am not made privy to issues regarding students as the decision-making process is at the building level, and the responsibility lies with the principal,” agreed School Committee Chairman Michael Niles."

Now what in the He!! does your statement "Guess you guys somehow know the political affiliations of everyone on "The Board of School Directors", if the board of school directors as you call them is not made privy to the issues regarding students what does their political affiliations have to do with this issue. I at no time accused the entire School Committee of being liberals I did and do however make the statement that the principal(not an elected office)is nothing but a liberal. So if it makes you feel better to say that I accused the School Committee of being liberal then congratulations you can now feel better.

Bob Lawless

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chanute elementary student suspended for spent shell casing