1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Student Sues College for Being Liberal

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by bigdogtx, Dec 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

About time,,,,hit em in the pocketbooks!!!!!!!!!!

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

It's really a shame that this happened, but many (perhaps most) college professors are the same way as the ones he encountered. They truly believe that it's their duty to make liberals out of their students. Conservatives need not apply.

Easystreet

3. shark1

shark1 Member

Hits home on liberalism hard. I can relate except for the legal action. I was called names, told that americans do not want guns ect. I was attending Montclair State in NJ. I did graduate. I would have people coming up after class, after I fought with the so called PHD and say "you got balls and you like to fight" we are with you. I had one PHD call me a coward because I liked pistols. He is dead now but I would like to see him after the Heller Case. I have a lot of negative feelings towrd liberals and anti-gunners.
    Mike Sharkey, DC

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Wonder why it is that so many college professors are liberally slanted.

Why are there so few conservatives professors teaching college?

5. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

It is starting a long time before College. Unfortunately most parents don't pay to much attention. To what is being force fed to their children in the Public Schools right now.

Public Schools those are the one all of us pay for through or taxes. I believe that the educators should be teaching both philosophies and when the students are mature enough to weigh the pros and cons of each let them make their own decision on which is for them.

Bob Lawless

6. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hmm..I went to UCLA. Balance of professors back then was mixed between liberal, consrvative, moderate. This was during the Vietnahm war era. One history professor was even pro war even then. Another philosphy prof courageously and openly spoke against. A chem. prof was against. A biology TA spoke for. Different opinions were not only tolerated, but encouraged. The University of California back then took upon the philosophy of being a "market place of ideas" as per the Hutchins model from the U. of Chicago.

I think "liberal", "moderate", and "conservative" have different interpretations in today's world. I do think the firearm "issue" has become way too politicized and in the forefront; there are more important issues outside of whether or not firearms can be allowed in private ownership. I thought it was long time ago a non-moot issue that firearms can be owned by a private citizen. It was not an issue back then among conservatives or liberals or in between as I recall.

I think the major issue is economical; there is just harder access in this new millenium to a comfortable life and job despite strong intentions. I think we have become too much of a fractured and intolerant society, hence more crime, hence quickly suggested fixes by politicos to ban guns. It's a big cop out getting away from more lmportant issues; energy, economy, violence, environment, overpopulation. Being anti-gun, pro-gun, anti-abortion, pro-abortion, anti-gay, pro-gay, anti-uniion, pro-union, an infinitum are, unfortunately, issues that depending upon demographics and useage, can be issues that can be pandered for votes; issues that hardly fix the more important involving quality of life for as many as possible, ...and a good quality of life obtained via hard work and an honest and fair tax base, a strong economy, and equal opportunity. Such issues are much more difficult to answer and our leaders it seems, in any and all parties, have failed us.

Those well versed in history please comment, edit, and, as appropriate correct me. "Inquiring Minds Wish to Know", I have only given an opinion based upon observation, not upon research.

7. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

timb99, you've heard the old saying "Those That Can Do, Those That Can't Teach". Bill

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Bill,

Yes, I've heard it.

No, I don't subscribe to that point of view.

I know too many people who can, and have, done both.

9. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The reason colleges are so liberal is money. That's right. Good old fashioned money. The latest economic developments may change things,however.

Most colleges get a lot of money in corporate Grants. Most of the stock in the large corporations is held in trust in a good many banks throughout the USA.

The holders of much of this stock rarely vote the shares, but the trust departments in the banks do.

It seems that the corporations grant money to colleges with liberal agendas and freak professors, etc. These money grants do not go to conservatively oriented institutions of learning for some reason.

So of course the people that run the university fall right in step, so they don't lose the new field house, Arts building, or whatever.

Hillsdale College in Lower Michigan is one of the few that doesn't fall into the trap, they survive on individual contributions for the most part.

Conservative and constitutionalist, one of the few that follows the principles of the founders of this nation.

A good cause, and tax deductible of course. If you are a philanthropist, put them on your list.

HM

10. Delbert

Delbert TS Member

I wonder if you can sue labor unions for being liberal.

11. nspktr1

nspktr1 TS Member

Went back to college in the '80's and had a definite mix of political types. Toxicology prof was ex-marine and conservative, Law prof was quite a moderate and a Libertarian. Philosphy prof leaned so far left he had to prop himself up on his desk not to fall over. We had words every Tues and Thur nite. He finally promised me a 'C' if I never came back. He got his wish. I hear that conservatives are definetly in the minority at University of Illinois these days.

12. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

I think it's more of a lack of real life experience that makes college professors liberal. They tend to grow up in the system...most professors that I know have parents that were professors or teachers. Most professors never have been in the military, or done work for the military, so they don't see national security issues in quite the same way as those who have. Most professors have not worked in a free market society, instead they work in a subculture that is guaranteed a lifetime job (tenure) with good pay.

I lived in that environment for many years, and - being a conservative - I was at odds with many in that profession.

I did have colleagues that were libertarians and republicans. We were in the minority.

13. Jeff P

Jeff P Well-Known Member

I once won an argument in college with a sociology professor, the liberal bastard.

The class was philosophy of current events - abortion, nuclear war, famine, that kind of thing. It was a freshmand class, so all the sheep were scared of college and sat there and listened. I took it as a senior, and so could argue with him - and would, just for the fun of it.

World hunger? Let them all starve, we're doing them a favor

Nuclear war? hell, yes, if someone nukes you can nuke them back (the analogy was that you're chained in a foxhole, watching your enemy through binoculars. You have a mortar accurately sighted on his foxhole. He's chained in his foxhole with a mortar aimed at you. Watching you. USSR v. USA, right? Suddenly you see the puff of smoke...he's fired his mortar. Is it 'ethical' to fire back???

Abortion? Even if you grant that the fetus is a person, you don't have to support anyone for 9 months of their "life"

LOL....fun stuff. He and I would go at it in lecture halls with 200 people. One day we were arguing and he stopped and said "GOOD POINT" and changed he subject.

I don't even remember the topic.

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Chang02, If not for the 2nd Ammendment there would not be a constitution to worry about!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.