1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Student Forced to Remove American Flag Shirt

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Yosemite Sam, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yosemite Sam

Yosemite Sam TS Member

Dec 18, 2007
    <a href=http://www.mercedsunstar.com/275/story/460170.html>Merced Sun-Star Article</a>

Thursday, Sep. 18, 2008
    Dos Palos students protest after school forces sophomore to remove American flag shirt
    School officials have apologized to student, American Legion
    By Danielle Gaines

DOS PALOS -- Students at Dos Palos High School protested Thursday -- by wearing patriotic regalia to school -- after a sophomore student was forced to remove a T-shirt depicting the American flag.

Officials at the Merced County school confirmed Thursday that Jake Shelly was forced to take off a red, white and blue tie-dyed American flag T-shirt on Tuesday. The shirt said nothing offensive, just: "United States of America, Washington, D.C."

The school's assistant principal issued Shelly a bright yellow T-shirt that read "DCV: Dress Code Violator" to wear for the rest of the day. He was given his shirt back after classes ended.

"It was really embarrassing and humiliating to have to wear that all day -- and just for supporting your country," his sister Kaycee Shelly said.

Kaycee Shelly told members of the media at lunchtime that her brother was overwhelmed and did not want to do any more interviews.

Earlier in the day, he was speaking with a local news station when an unidentified teacher walked up to him, ripped off the microphone clipped to his shirt and told him he was not allowed to talk to the media.

District officials said they apologized to the student, his family and the local American Legion on Wednesday -- Constitution Day.

"In reviewing the dress code at the time, an administrator felt the shirt was in violation of that section of the dress code," said Superintendent Brian Walker. "She asked him to remove it and he did."

The assistant principal initially thought Shelly's T-shirt violated a clause of the school dress code that does not allow "shirts/blouses that promote specific races, cultures, or ethnicities."

School officials said they will now interpret that clause of the dress code -- which was written at the beginning of this school year -- differently.

Defiance when asked to remove an article of clothing is an automatic 3- to 5-day suspension, according to the dress code.

"Certainly we are taking responsibility for it and it will not happen again," Walker said. "A shirt that has an American flag, a shirt that has a Chinese flag or a Mexican flag, is certainly not a violation of that part of the dress code."

Jake Shelly was wearing the tie-dyed T-shirt as part of a hippie dress-up day during homecoming week.

Students on campus started a campaign to wear as much red, white or blue clothing and carry as many flags as possible Thursday in protest of Tuesday's decision, despite the apology. Jake Shelly wore the same shirt he wore Tuesday and was not disciplined.

"I am glad so many people are supporting this and wearing red, white and blue," his sister said. She believes the swift change in rules was because of the overwhelming student action.

A.J. Galindo is one student who wore a patriotic shirt to school.

Galindo's shirt honored Marine Cpl. Joshua Pickard, a family member who died in Iraq in 2006. Pickard's two brothers remain active in the Marines.

"I think it is horrible that you can't wear an American flag to school without something like this happening," he said, referring to the flurry of activities during the school's lunch hour. "We have people fighting for our country and dying every day, but we can't wear an American flag at a public school?"

A.J. said he was proud of the patriotism displayed by his classmates.

His mother, Julie, said she was upset when she first heard the news Tuesday but feels better about the situation now.

"Initially, I was really concerned about what I heard, but after asking a few questions I realized the whole controversy is just the result of one person's misinterpretation of the rule," she said.

Julie Galindo said everyone makes mistakes and accepted the apologies by the school's administration.

She added that Dos Palos is a patriotic town and erected a veteran's memorial just last year. Several members of the education community served on a committee to erect the memorial that stands on the grounds of Marks Elementary School.

"I wouldn't want anyone to think of Dos Palos as an unpatriotic place," Julie Galindo said. "I feel very proud of my town and very proud of my country and very proud to wear the American flag."
  2. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2006
    :Earlier in the day, he was speaking with a local news station when an unidentified teacher walked up to him, ripped off the microphone clipped to his shirt and told him he was not allowed to talk to the media."

Interesting that a student can't talk to the media to give his side of the story, but the administration can. Maybe that teacher should read the Constitution....if they still teach the kids about it.
  3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Nashville Tn
    In Tenn, the teacher could be charged for assault.
  4. recurvyarcher

recurvyarcher Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2006
    Everyone needs to stand up for what's right in these situations...just like the students did. Everyone in that school should have been an American citizen, so there would have been no question as to whether or not a certain culture was being promoted!
  5. bocephus

bocephus Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Speaking of culture......What ever happened to the "AMERICAN CULTURE"? Anyone seen it lately?
  6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Sec. 8. - Respect for flag

(d) The flag should never be used as wearing apparel, bedding, or drapery. It should never be festooned, drawn back, nor up, in folds, but always allowed to fall free. Bunting of blue, white, and red, always arranged with the blue above, the white in the middle, and the red below, should be used for covering a speaker's desk, draping the front of the platform, and for decoration in general.

(j) No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the heart.
  7. The Kolar Kid

The Kolar Kid TS Member

Jul 7, 2008
    It's flipin California, what do you guys expect? I used to live in that state so I can say that. I just got back from a weeks visit and that place sucks period. Too many stories to tell...

8. calilori

calilori TS Member

Jun 12, 2006
    I guess now you guys understand why I couldn't stand to teach in Merced County anymore.
  9. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

Jul 29, 2007
    IN addition to any other civil correction that 'teacher' might bear, I believe that the school administrator, and the 'teacher' should have to wear the DCV 'dress code violator', yellow t-shirt for a day, also.

10. oz

oz Active Member

Jan 29, 1998
    I saw in a thread (you tube I think) where this last democratic national convention ended there were 10,000 american flags found outside in a dumpster. some people (republicans I guess) saved them and passed tham out to people at one of their functions. search it , you'll see. unbelievable. oz
  11. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Jan 29, 1998
    Prairie State
    Do they even teach "The Flag Code" any longer... If I recall correctly, I had I had to pass a test about that and the U.S. Constitution before I could get into High School.

Do kids still have to recite the "Pledge of Allegiance" in the AM before school starts?

As many of you can figure out, not having kids I'm a bit out of touch!

12. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Glad I don't live in that commie rathole...Bill
  13. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    The Flag "ITSELF" is not to be worn as apperal(reference U.S. Code) However a "likeness of the flag on a shirt is not in itself a violation of the statute. That being said I doubt VERY seriously that these clowns have a FREAKING CLUE about any of that, nor do they CARE! The fact that these America hating POND SCUM LIBERALS issued an "apology" doesn't cut it. They deserve to be tared and feathered! I can't hate those types low lifes enough! I would gladly give each one of them a one way ticket to whatever country they choose, under the condition they never show their miserable face in this country again! I am darned proud of this country AND it's flag! Those that don't can go straight to H&11! FOR MY PART!--- M.E. Brazell USAF retired
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.