1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Rich219, Dec 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

It seems like for the past 6 months I've been stuck at this 23ish average. I shoot 24s and 25s but it seems like I just can't close the deal on 1 to 2 birds a round. Is this something that is fixed by shooting more or should I try something else? It doesn't seem to be one thing that is causing my misses either so I'm kind of confused.

2. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

Usually I shoot a flat a week minimum, if there's a lot of ATA shoots going on though it's usually around a flat to two a week. Right now though I'm only shooting 100-150 rounds per week due to snow and cold.

3. porky

porky TS Member

Try to relax as you increase the length of your strings of broken birds. Many times it is just because you are getting uptight. Think about it, what bird that the machine throws that you can't or haven't broken. Remember, trap is a mind game.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Rich, work hard and with time your scores will improve. But, you will never get "over the hill". The only thing that will happen is that the hill will keep getting higher.

If you get to the point where shooting 94-95 is common, then these scores will become unsatisfactory to you. We always want more.

Pat Ireland

5. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Rich,

Depending on how long you've been shooting of course, a 92 average isn't too shabby.

Pat's description above parallel's my experience.

One time I asked Martin Wilbur (Pheasantmaster) to watch me shoot an event while I was going through a frustrating stretch. I was hoping he'd see my flaws so I could fix them. Afterwards he told me the following and I've never forgotten it:

He said (insert Kansas drawl here), "Guy, everything looks pretty good to me--all you need to do now is get some targets under your belt."

I took this to be Kansas speak for, IF (notice big if) all the fundamentals are in place, repetitive experience will train your brain and body how to shoot better.

I believe when shooting gets to the level where you can point and break targets with the same subconscious precision as your ability to touch the tip of your nose with the tip of your index finger; you've reached the level of the best in our sport.

I'm still working on it. It seems that sometimes my finger ends up in my nose, rather than on the tip!

Guy Babin

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

I once read that you could get a good instructor or you can shoot your weight in primers, your choice. Bad practice is still, bad practice............GOOD LUCK

7. kiv-c

kiv-c Member

Don't pay any mind to any of the advice given so far. What you really need to do at this point is spend more money!

First place to start, obviously, is a new gun. You didn't mention what you're shooting now, but I can guarantee you there is a gun out there that will add at least one bird to your average! You just need to be willing to spend an additional $1K or so. Minimum.

As for that second bird? A new shooting jacket, pouch, glasses (with a complete set of lenses in all existing colors known to man), Magic Dots, and at least two glue on high ribs should get you part way toward that last bird.

The finishing touch should be a complete set of all illustrated instruction books and DVDs, viewing them each a dozen times minimum.

Of course, if you don't want to go to all that trouble, a good night's sleep and a positive attitude in the morning can work just as well.

8. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Is it any target your missing? What station and what angle are you missing? What I'm trying to say is if there is a pattern to your misses work on that station and or that angle target till you feel you can hit that &*^^, ^*&^ pain in the rear target. LOL

I have also been known to lock down the machine to throw just that one target so I can work off of that one station till I get things right.

When I practic I will go out once every two days and shoot 12 to 15 rounds.

9. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

What Git-Er-done said . You`ve shot all the angles and broke them at one time or another . Don`t make trap shooting a hurry up , follow the leader game . Forget everything else when your on the line except wanting to break that next target . If your into the last 5 and your straight until them , it`s still not over and don`t vary from what you`ve been doing . Take the same amount of set up time for each target and break each target at a specific distance and timing at each station . It`s a game against yourself for now and no else should matter . You`ll get them all eventually . I`ve seen many in your situation drop the last target when it mattered the most .

10. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I cant tell you how many times I have dropped the last bird.. it agravates the living dickens out of me.. lol...

11. Rich219

Rich219 Active Member

"Is it any target your missing? What station and what angle are you missing? What I'm trying to say is if there is a pattern to your misses work on that station and or that angle target till you feel you can hit that &*^^, ^*&^ pain in the rear target. LOL"

No, it's not a single station or presentation. Usually they'll be the easiest birds of the round though.

12. OGC Director

OGC Director TS Member

Maintain your focus, don't take an easy target for granted. That's when you will hear the dreaded "lost".

Rich in Indiana

13. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

make sure you practice "practice" and what I mean by that is that when you shoot a round or two of practice be sure that you are practicing more than just shooting the target. Try to include other things in your practice to work on, like foot / body position, gun mount / fit, visual aquisition of target, make sure you are smooth and fluid to the target rather than being overly swift or aggressive to the target. I can't speak for everyone but I certainly feel that I have gained something doing this. All the best.

J.F.

14. Browning Boy

Browning Boy Member

I have told myself many times when I'm at the line to focus on the target and not the score and the score will be there when your done. It's not that easy but trap is 90% mental and 10% equipment. Just relax and have fun. Think back when you shot your best score. I'll bet you were as relaxed as you ever could be. That's the way you want to be all time.

George Ware

15. Twinbirds

Twinbirds TS Member

simply change the way you practice, shoot different strings, when shooting by myself I always shoot 10 on post 1, 5 on post 3, and 10 on post 5. This does a couple things, gets you out of the mindset of "got to break 25" you aren't shooting a regular round, so break all you can, 2nd, it gives you the most practice on the hardest targets. When ever you have a shooting problem, you need to learn how to analyze what is going on, identify the problem and figure out how to overcome it. Once I identify my problem, I work exclusively on overcoming it the next 30 times I go shoot, if it is a head lift problem ,I work on not lifting my head for the next 30 times I shoot and suddenly, I won't have a head lift problem, now you need to work on your next worse problem.(usually when I don't know why I miss it is a headlift problem) Overall, winter shooting can lead to bad habits, but sometimes it is hard to put the gun down, go shoot to enjoy it,learn to relax your mind between shots, the only time you need to focus on trapshooting is that second you need to get ready and call for the bird, shoot and enjoy, in handicaps if you are constantly shooting 23's and 24's you are actually shooting pretty good, would always be in the 90's, also you need to start working the trap, watch how the targets are coming out, don't let yourself get caught by an errant or unusual bird, work to make your gun movements smaller and less hurried, focus on seeing the bird, then move. do anything do it with a purpose! shoot often shoot well

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

1 bird at a time... shoot 25, 1 target events... the previous target means nothing... the next target is the only one there is.

MK

17. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

I'll toss in my .02 worth here, just because I can. I agree with focusing on all aspects when we practice, don't just shoot the bird, get your feet right, keep your noggin down, all the basics every time. The best reminder (for me) I saw in this thread was George's advice to RELAX. The best score I ever shot in a handicap I was so p-o'd at this game (lousy singles score in the morning) I was going to shoot the event, go home, and take up knitting. Well, naturally I won the damn event and a bunch of money so here I am today. Point is, I was NOT concentrating on shooting a good score, I was just shooting the stupid targets as they came out and whaddaya know? It sorta happened on its own and I was just there.
    Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.