1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Spare Tire On Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by m70win, May 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m70win

m70win Member

I had a flat on my 2003 GM truck the other night. After doing everything the manual sugested with no luck I called a wrecker. The driver said that it was a poor design on GMs part and the only way to get it down was with a cutting torch, and quite often he has to tow them back to the service station. He also said that if I had never had a flat or lived on a dirt road it would be more likly to happen. Check both above for me. He aired up my tire and I drove it to the service station and they pluged the tire for me.

Anybody else have this happen to them? How about a way to get the safety catch to release without a cutting torch?

Tim

2. Dennisw

Dennisw Member

The spare tire hoist or carrier as they call it, is cable driven, a very common problem after a few years of not being used. They tend to rust up on the inside making them pretty much junk at that point. A new one for an 03 model list price is $96.45 and just takes a few minutes to replace. And i would suggest taking your spare out at least once a year and squirting some grease on the cable to keep it lubed.

3. rosies dad

rosies dad Member

My 89 got traded in with a brand new spare hanging underneath. Its looking the same for the 2000, the wheels get so rusty they are of no real use after a year or two either.

4. m70win

m70win Member

Actually The cable and crank still work and look good. The safety catch is what's not releasing.

I live in Michigan where they salt the roads all winter,it seems to be a pretty common problem around here.

Lucky I had my cell phone, and lucky I wasn't trail riding up north.I would of had to drive it flat back to town and ruin the tire and rim.

Tim

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I bought my truck used, with a bracket holding the spare up front on the inside corner of the box. It's just a bar with a stud to hold the wheel.

Original Owner must have had the problem before. Good Idea.

HM

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

At least your tire was there, we replace many rotted out spare tire holders.......and tire. they rot so bad it just falls off. Here in SE Mass. we are seeing a lot of heavy rot on cars and trucks dodge and ford especially. We have done many exhaust manifolds on 3 to 5 year old vehicles. The newer fords seem to have the toyota problems of the 80s with rot.

7. m70win

m70win Member

I supose Dennis is right you should take it down and lube it once a year. But if I took it to the dealer for an oil change and lube wouldn't it be a nice touch for them to do it, knowing that they are prone to frezing up?

Bill do you buy 5 new tires when they wear out or quit rotating the spare at that point?

Tim

8. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

As soon as you get the unit down, turn it around so the valve stem is exposed, that way you can correct the air pressure at least once a year. Lubricate the assembly when you get the sprae down and do that once a year that should solve that issue. In your post you said that they "plugged your tire" if they truly just pushed a plug in the hole wiht our taking the tire off the wheel and repairing it with a plug/patch combination then you need to visit a tire company and have that bad repair corrected. Steel belted radial tires should never be plugged! A plug put in the tire from the outside is an improper repair and cand void the mfg's warranty.

9. 5spd

5spd TS Member

This is a perfect reason to carry a tire rope plug kit they are made for radial tires as well as bias tires. I have plugged at least 85+ tires in my time off roading, rock crawling, 4 wheeling and have NEVER had a problem with a rope style plug. You can get the kits at any store for under $10, get some extra rubber cement in a small can also....works better with a little slop on them going in.
    Just be easy when putting it in, use extra rubber cement and you can feel the steel belts and work the plug through them without busting them.

10. bill1949

bill1949 Well-Known Member

Get yourself a spare tire holder to mount the tire in the truck bed, I did. They can be gotten from J. C. Whitney and maybe some local parts stores. You can lock the spare too, lube the lock once in a while too...Bill

11. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

5spd, your incorrect telling some one that the plugs work for both bias and radial tires. If you doubt that ask a tire manufacturer, I've been in the industry for over thirty years, I worked for the International tire and Rubber Association as a director. Proper repair of a radial tire is a repair from the inside a patch/ patch plug done correctly will insure the tire will last as long as it was designed to. Your rope patches are a temporary repair and can be corrected. You may never have a problem with the repairs your making, and I hope you don't. Just understand that the rope plug repair will void a warranty form the mfg.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

2012 silverado spare tire holder problem

silverado spare tire stuck

spare tire winch seized 2013 silverado