1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STUCK ON THE 25

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shootman, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootman

shootman TS Member

Four years ago Ishot a 99Max on 21yrd. line and seemed to get stuck there. Ibought a new gun [682Gold E] 34/30 combo. In 2007 I made it to the 25 and have been stuck there ever since. Singles have gone from AA to B class. Thinking about a video. Any suggestions. I had lasik surgery last Feb. and I do see the birds better, but still stuck. BOB

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Time to buy another gun? HMB

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

You could get another gun or you could spend a little money and enroll in a good shooting class. There are many around. Or you could just work a little harder. Much of trapshooting is mental.

Pat Ireland

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

You hit the wall..... Make a change, Watch "Tin Cup" you might learn something. But, then you can just wait and get reduced to the 24.

5. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Do you know why you are missing the Targets? If not, then ask yourself after every miss, "ok, what did I do wrong on that bird?" If you start taking account of why you missed (like swinging the gun too far, or not following through) then you'll start to get sensitized to those issues and it might help. You might ask a buddy to stand behind you when you shoot and have him make an assessment for you.

Kevin

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Kev... Pray-tell, what is "follow-though"? If by that you mean to keep the gun swingin past the bird once the gun goews off, then you are missing targets too.

Kev.. What is it you mean?

7. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

See if you can find a hypnotist that knows something about trapshooting. And when you do, let me know if it worked. ;-)

8. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I got "stuck" on the 24. Now I am stuck on the 21 1/2. At least I can use the same load from there as I do from the 16. Every cloud has a silver lining.

9. scott calhoun

scott calhoun Well-Known Member

Regarding having someone stand behind you and offer his assessemnt . . . brought to mind something Kiner said in his class that I took back in '03 or '04.

He said not to pay too much attention to people who stand behind you and then tell you what you did wrong, most of the time they don't know (and Phil has the video to prove it). He called them, as I remember, "20-yard D-Class All Americans".

Scott

10. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

Position,mount & lock up,vision,movement, if all the above are in sink just pracitce,practice,practice. In other words it is just hard work.

11. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

Jack,

My meaning by follow through is "Not stopping the gun" or "shooting at a spot". This used to be a big problem for me until I practiced shooting nothing but right hand birds all day. Every time I failed to follow through with the gun, I would miss.

Kev

12. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Pat's suggestion is the best. I would add, though, that I've seen a lot of shooters, on their way back, that tried to be more careful with their shots. Get more aggressive and work harder at seeing the target quicker. Good luck.

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Phil Kiner helped me get over the 26yd 'wall'. I would think he could help you also. His two day class was the best money I have ever spent in this game. Strongly reccomend getting his videos/dvds now as those will help you understand a bit more about what is going on with your shooting.

14. slick50

slick50 Member

I'm having the same problem at the 25 yard line. One thing that really helped me is they have a video camera at the club where I shoot. i had one of the guys shoot a video of my shooting and I saw that I was lifting my head too quick after each shot. Now i concentrate on keeping my head down longer. With out the video I never would have noticed it. Try it you may see something you don't expect.

15. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

When I successfully made it to the 27, quite a few years ago, I figured I Made it! Three or four or five thousand targets later, I swallowed my pride and made it to the 26. Bounced back & forth a few times & Now age and a few other problems have helped me make it all the way to the 25. If I can live long enough and still able to keep trying, I'll be able to shoot singles & hdcp right next door to each other.

Big Jack

16. otnot

otnot Active Member

If you still have the gun that got you there. I would pattern it and set up your new gun to shoot just like the old one.

17. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

Shoot right at the target but shoot right at the left or right edge not the middle of it--do it smoothly but faster also--takes a little time to get used to looking a little more left or right without AIMING but by now you know not to aim anyway.

18. shootman

shootman TS Member

Just ordered both of Kiners DVD. Thanks for all the input and have a great holiday BOB

19. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

Relax and quit making it bigger than it is. You are putting to much pressure on yourself and think more of that then shooting the targets.

Have fun and shoot.

Don

20. motowheelguy

motowheelguy TS Member

If you can hit one you can hit them all. Its all in your mind, turn it off and see what happens.

Aaron H.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.