1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck on the 20 yard line

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Crickets, Apr 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crickets

Crickets Member

Ok. there cant be that big a difference shooting from the 16 and the 20. Is there? I am a 94.5 Average (singles) after 2000 singles targets, but only 88 on the caps (Last 2yrs been the same). Does this make sense? Highest score has been 94, with a few in the 90's but most have been 85 -89 range. I use 1oz loads at 1180+/- and dust most of my 16yrd targets, so it not like I'm barely hitting them at 16 yds therefore I'm way off at 20 yds. I have tried 1 1/8 loads, and higher speed loads with same results. People look at me funny when I classify as a A shooter then tell them my yardage is 20. Is it Normal to languish at 20 yards?

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Yeah, If your a crappy shooter.

Jim

3. Crickets

Crickets Member

thanks jim101 i hadn't thought of that. Must be my "Field Gun" Huh?

4. Husky44

Husky44 Active Member

I’m in the same boat, but stuck on the 21-yard line. I’m an AA singles shooter. Earned one yard at the 20 with a 98 and win. If fact at this weekends registered shoot the classifier after looking at my score card said “you’re obviously on the 27”..LOL..Just started shooting trap in June 2010, sold my trap gun last week. I decided to shoot for fun now with the field guns and M12 build-up, get out of the way of shooters with ability.

Domenic

ATA 1016121
    PITA 42999

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Get some professional instruction That includes gun fit and POI. It's likely you have some equipment and mechanics issues.

Jim

6. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I feel your pain...and so do many others!

7. pigkiller

pigkiller Member

I don't think it's abnormal at all. I know plenty of really good shooters who aren't at the 27-yard line just yet, and I'm sure they have shot more than you have. Part of the problem may be that you aren't practicing your yardage enough (as compared to how much you practice singles); part of it may be a psychological barrier. As mentioned above, you may benefit from the input of a more seasoned shooter.

You can start by practicing more at your yardage--you'll grow more confident if you keep at it long enough.

8. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Pigman gives you the right answer. The reason you (and others)languish at short yardage is that you practice singles and only shoot event handicap. Adn you should do the reverse. For the next month only practice your yardage and forget shooting any singles practice. The 16 yard line is for shooters that want to feel good and the handicap yardage is where the money is.

Practice Handicap and not singles

Practice handicap with a plan each week

Practice handicap at least 200 targets a week. Preferably 400+

Then when the weekend comes your brain will have more stored pictures of handicap targets and you will see your average improve. Look back at years 87 and 88. (ATA # 87-01936) I do the same these days. I practice my yardage (not longer) and my singles scores are getting better just because they are along for the ride. in '06 when I cam back to shooting my handicap scores were 50s and 60s. My end of the season last years scores were right at 90. '09 I had crossfire issues to work thru.

This advice is from me (obviously) but I got it from Aaron Holguin. Arguably California's best handicap shooter. Look him up. Not taking anything away form Dave Kelly, but Holguin offers good advice and will talk to you on the forum.

Aaron Holguin is "Motowheelguy" on TS.com

One more thing. If you practice handicap as I suggest you will often practice alone. Learn to like it and make sure you take as much time to shoot a round as you would in a squad. Don't hurry. In fact rest between shots.

9. JACK

On more thing. Do not add in another entire set of mental images by shooting doubles. Doubles can wait. Practice and shoot handicap events as often as you can.

10. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Where I'm currently shooting, handicap practice is placed on the back burner. Most of the club members care to shoot singles only. I really want to get my handicap good. I feel if I can get off the 21, my singles will get better too, By the way when I get to practice caps I practice on the 22.

Phil Berkowitz

11. warren

warren Member

I suggest some professional help too. I went for years and thought I could figure out what I was doing wrong and after my score continued to go down finally went to a Kiner Clinic. I must say that I don't think I ever would have figured out just what I was doing wrong, but he vidioed my shooting and showed me what my problem was and after nearly 5 years I got punched. It did show up mostly in my handicap and double shooting. Just my thoughts.

warren

12. Kemper

Kemper Active Member

Where do you live?

13. ebsurveyor

ebsurveyor Member

I guarantee that this will improve your handicaps scores; if scores don’t improve you can have double your money back. Don’t shoot less than a 0.036” choke (16’s & ‘caps) and 7.5’s are better than 8’s. That’s all you need to know (and do).

14. Crickets

Crickets Member

"When the Archer misses the mark, he turns and looks for the fault within himself. Failure to hit the bull’s-eye is never the fault of the target or the bow. To improve your aim-improve yourself"

Thank for the constructive advise.

I guess Practice , Practice, Practice. The only Caps I have shot have been at registered shoots (aside from the occasional Annie Oakley which I do well at). So I can really see that coming into play. I just though that there shouldn't be a whole lot of difference between 16 and 20yds. I figured I would have to worry about the difference when I got to 23 or 24 yards.

Here's the problem - I cant afford to practice. The ONLY time I shoot any more is at registered shoots (with very few exceptions). Sounds like I Should forgo shooting doubles for a while and spend that $ during the week shooting 100 rounds of Caps. That would stink, because I think I just figured them (dbls) out this weekend.

15. SCL

SCL Member

I shot my first registered shoot this weekend and had a really great time. I noticed that on the caps i shot a 24,22, and then a 23, then blew out an 18! I was disappointed, but man was i beat. I never gave the endurance thing a thought. Might be something to think about. The singles went good though(96)

16. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

Crickets,
    There has been some good advise given above. I started shooting trap in the summer of 09. Started compitetion in 2010. My caps score were all over the place.I would practice from the 21 which is what I was advised to do as someone else suggested above. I belong to three gun clubs, one of which I donot shoot at much anymore.Mostly because all of the shooters there want to shoot 16 yard only. AS mentioned above when you prectice caps be prepared to shoot alone most of the time. That used to boother me but I have gotten over it and I think because of that I am more mentally prepared to shoot on a short squad when it happens. I too feltlike I was stuck on the 20. Teher was a point when one third of my caps scores were 88. And I mean one third I have teh score card to prove it. At our PITA state shoot last year out of nowhere I shot a 97 to move to the 21. two weeks later at the grand I shot a 94 to move to the 22. I have been stuct there ever since and am feeling like you are on the 20. I am considering paying a shooting coach for a few hours to watch me shoot. I did this twice for my 16 yard and it really helped and was a lot more economical than attending a clinic. Cost me less than $75.00 each time for several hours each time. The coach did not so much as point out what I was doing wrong as he made suggestions of different things to try. I was almost always behind hard lefts on post one. He suggested that I hold 12-18 inches off the edge of the club house. oncec I got used to holding there I was not rushed and trying to catch up to the target and had no more issues with hard lefts on post one. Do not give up, If possible practice handicaps only(you will be amazed at how much more time you have on singles if you do). And if possible either find a shooting coach to help you. If you cannot find a shooting coach find someone who is a good shooter and whose opinion you value to whatch you shoot and help you.

Good Luck,
    Jim Bradbury

17. JACK

SCL. 87 in caps is OK and it will just get better. Adn for you here is some advice that will overcome the "energy" loss. Between rounds become a FRUIT vegetarian. pass on fat laden club lunches. Eat any fruits you like. Apples, oranges, watermelon, peaches pears, whatever. Your body will love you for it and pay you back in sustained energy.

18. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

At every gun club through out this nation I see most shooters practice shooting 16 yard targets. Than when they shoot handicap they wonder what is wrong? Same thing why some golfers say they have trouble getting out of sand traps. They just don't practice it enough. Shoot handicap practice more than 16 yard.
    Steve Balistreri

19. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You should practice with the same load you are going to use in the tournaments. HMB

20. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Request that they move you to the 25 yardline, you won't have to walk as far nor will you have to move the gun as much because the angles are cut down ... Then you won't be on the 20 yardline anymore and that problem will be solved ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to practice shooting from 7 yd line

i cant get off the 20 yard line in trap shooting