1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STUCK Invector choke--Any ideas for removal??

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by boomer, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Bought a BT-99 with standard invectors. It has a choke tube that is frozen in the gun. Short of sending it to someone like Briley, is there a home remedy that might free this choke tube? Thanks guys!!

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

First, I would soak it in a penetrating lubricant. Kerosene is pretty good for this. Next, apply heat with a hair dryer. If it is still stuck, try freezing the barrel or sticking it in ice water. Tapping the tube with a piece of wood may also help. An important key is to have a device to hold the barrel very firmly. Putting pressure on the wrench while gently tapping it may also help.

Pat Ireland

3. argus tuft

argus tuft Member

Put barrell ends in boiling water, when metal is really hot remove and apply good pressure with wrench (not excessive), it should give way as the two metals cool at different rates, you may not get it first try but just keep doing it, it will really surprise tou how easily it lets go when it does.

Argus

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil is just about the best penetrant I know. (Kano Kroil).

Gets under the copper in rifle bores. Midway has it, maybe your local shooting supplier if they cater to rifle guys.

The heat gun is probably your first whack. Even a blow dryer if you don't have a heat gun.

HM

5. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks guys--I'll report back!!!

6. TN Larry

TN Larry TS Member

There is a product called MOUSE MILK that is used a lot by aviation mechanics. It is the best stuff I have ever seen. You can by an 8 oz. bottle from Aircraft Spruce (Google it) for $5.25 + shipping. You will have to pay the x-tra flammable fee. I would put money on it working!

7. 3dram8

3dram8 Member

Cold is the answer. Metal shrinks when chilled, and the tension on the threads will lessen. .....Rick

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Have you damaged or broken a choke tube wrench trying to get the choke out?

If not, put it in ice water for a minute or so and put your wrench in a vise.

Some Rem Choke wrenches have a 3/8" square drive built in them. If the teeth are too wide for the choke, get out your file and file them to fit. Then put a ratchet or T handle on the wrench, get someone to hold the barrel, and remove the choke.

If something breaks, Brownell's makes a tool that will remove the choke. Also, most tool shops have easy outs that will fit your choke.

This last destroys the choke, but saves the barrel.

As a gunsmith, I have been there, done that. No big job. After the choke is out, chuck a chamber brush in a drill rod and thoroughly clean barrel threads.

Use heavy grease, and take tube out periodically and clean. DUH.

9. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

If there's rust between the choke and bbl, more than oil or a heatgun will be needed.

I crack loose 3-4 a year for the duck hunters around here. On all of them, I use an old Beretta choke wrench, (the one with the thread cleaner), and my torch. You can bring it up carefully with the heat, just short of discoloring the bluing.

It'll sqeak and sqeal, all the way out.

The old invectors were not stainless steel, so once the rust starts, the tube is locked in place.

Doug

10. mercedesman1981

mercedesman1981 TS Member

I haven't used mouse milk but I have used Kroil and found it to be an excellent penetrating oil. They claim it will seek into areas of less then .0001 clearance.

I had a 1/4" stainless steel bolt used as part of a slide lock on an aluminum sailboat mast. It had been in the mast for 10 years in a salt water environment and using Kroil and lots of patience, I was able to free the bolt.

Mike

11. tallengnr

tallengnr TS Member

I had a Comp-N-Choke get stuck in a Perazzi barrel. I tried heat and cold, nothing worked. When I contacted Comp-N-Choke, they recommended soaking the barrel/choke for up to 5 days in penetrating oil...and make sure the oil level in the container was high enough to contact the entire choke/threads inside the barrel.

Each day I tried to remove the choke, it would not move. On the fifth day it twisted out like it was only hand tight all along...weird.

12. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Soak the barrel/choke in penetrating oil..clamp the WRENCH in a vise..turn the barrel..use a strap wrench if you need extra torque. Works for me every time!!

Big Jack

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.