1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Hulls in 1100

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by GrandpasArms, Jun 9, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GrandpasArms

GrandpasArms Active Member

Too many factory loads get stuck in my 1100. They fire. The gun cycles. The empty hull gets stuck in the barrel. This happened 3 times last night in 150 shells. Once, it was so jammed in that I had to stop shooting the trap round before I was finished. It happened with a T/S shell catcher attached and without the shell catcher.

I shot 250 reloads last weekend and there wasn't a single problem. The reloads are Winchester AAs with 7/8 ounce of shot, W209 primers and American Select - formula says 1200fps and 6200 psi. The 1100 cycles perfectly with these lighter loads.

The factory loads were Diana ( 1 1/8 #8 w 2 3/4 dram equivalent)and Remington Gun Club (1 1/8 #7 1/2 1200 fps).

I'm wondering if the heavier factory loads, coupled with their thinner steel bases might be part of the problem. I hope not.

The gun is clean and lubricated - and I make sure it isn't wet with oil. It fires fine. Just fails to eject.

Any suggestions?

Larry

2. Shipbuilder

Shipbuilder TS Member

I had this happen with a new Remington steel based duck hunting load in an 870 last winter. It stuck so hard the slide would not budge and I thought the gun was broken. Ruined a pretty good morning of duck hunting trying to save a couple $ on a box of shells.

Turned out I tapped it out with a wood dowel when I got home and the gun was fine.

I am done with steel based hulls at least for duck hunting.

Jim

3. bill4807

bill4807 Member

Try re-sizing your shells; and put some grease in the chamber, especially in hot weather. Notify the guy standing next to you to watch out for empties!

4. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

Had same thing happen with my 1100 using steel headed hulls in a hot climate shoot. Most are dirty burning also. All of the above will help but to get thru a 100 bird event I swabbed that part of chamber with Q-Tip and BreakFree CLP and left shellcatcher on.

5. revbook

revbook Member

I have been shooting 1 1/8 oz. Gun Clubs for a year and never experienced this. I wonder what may be causing it?

6. dverna

dverna Active Member

WW cheapies are awful in some 1100's. Federal TG's can also give problems.

We have 5 1100 loaners at the club. Some work better than others.

Polish the chamber and/or lube the heads. Failing that, reload brass hulls that shrink on firing.

Don Verna

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.