1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

stuck hull

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jmac_cope, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmac_cope

jmac_cope Member

I have a factory Fed GM (smooth) hull stuck in my forcing cone. Upon shooting, the hull separated from the brass head and lodged just forward (muzzle end) of the forcing cone. I tried to ram a new wad back through the barrel but it would not move the stuck hull.
    This has probably happened to some of you. I would like any suggestions on how to removed the hull.

thanks,
    JMAC
  2. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Active Member

Your right, it has happened to me several times.

What I ended up doing was taking the choke tube out, put a wad in the end of the barrel, put a dime in the wad and beating the stuck hull out toward the breech end of the gun with a wood rod against the dime.

P.S. Dont't forget to put the choke tube back in, don't ask why I think that is something you shouldn't forget. lol

Bill
  3. rando

rando TS Member

spray wd-40 down both ends let soak a few minutes then push out with wad, worked for me
  4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Active Member

What Rando said.
  5. ou.3200

ou.3200 Active Member

If all else fails sharpen a brass cleaning jag, attach it to a long cleaning rod and cut down one side of the hull with it. I had one stuck about 5" ahead of the forcing cone and that was the only way.
  6. Big Jack

Big Jack Active Member

A 1/2" dowel sharpened to a diagonal sharp tip will usually cut thru a stuck hull and can't damage a barrel in any way. Usually take a bit of WD-40 and then hit it with the stick. Works for me.

Big Jack
  7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

I just put a dime down the barrel so it lays flat on top of the crimp. Take a wood dowl and give it a good jab, usually they pop right out.
  8. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

Jack has it right - you need to fabricate some type of sharp "tool" that can wedge itself between the hull and barrel.

This happened to me a bunch too. Best thing I found - was I took a steel golf shaft and cut the grip end of the shaft with a dremel wheel to a chisel point. Sharpen it up on a grinding wheel. So now you have a chisel point type of tool - with a radius that matches the barrel fairly well. Insert from muzzle end of barrel. The shaft tip will easily cut into the stuck hull - and break it free.
  9. Kemper

Kemper Member

The hulls are defective. Federal recalled them for this reason. Get rid of the smooth hulls. You can't reload them.

Barry Kemper
  10. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I reload them 4 times---Never had a problem---I sharpend an aluminum cleaning end just in casse---also keep a small tourch in truck and plan to heat the end.
    Thats my plan----I have 1000s of the smooth hulls---If anyone want's to get rid of them,give me a shout----I'll pay shipping if not too much.
    Who ever said you can't reload them don't know much about reloading--- JMO
  11. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

Sure you can reload them. You also can go over Niagra Falls in a barrel. I ditched mine. My K-80 barrel is too valuable to me!!
  12. Strait Shooter

Strait Shooter Member

A solution to your problem with the stuck hull that I have seen work very well is to use a 28 gauge empty hull on the end of a dowell or cleaning rod and push it out from the muzzel end of the barrel.
  13. Kemper

Kemper Member

I shot with a guy sunday the 15th in spokane that had 3 come apart in his $25,000 Keieghoff. Once fired like new hulls. Federal did recall them in early 2010. Thousands of flats. They were bought buy several shooters and resold for cheap. It takes longer than you think to get a hull out. They are like fire formed to the barrel.

This was during a regerested shoot, you don't have time to screw with this stuff shooting. But why would you want to? blow up a gun, hurt someone standing buy you.

I have 270,000 regestered targets in and have only seen this happen a couple of times. 3 times in one day should be a sign for everyone.

I have reloaded a lot of the smooth hulls, this batch is different, i assure you.

I have nothing to gain by stating this. Consider your selves warned.

Barry Kemper
  14. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I have seen the same problem with remington hulls and AAs---Guess we should all stop reloading----If you are alert,you will know you have a stuck hull.I persanally never saw a Fed Gold Medal smooth hull come apart but I did see a Rem gun club come apart right nxt to me last spring.You should be more worried about a stuck wad from the AAs---I try to look down my bbl after every shot.I only shoot break open guns----If I were using an auto I would not use anything but new ammo-----JMO----George
  15. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

George,
    You dont get it. The problem with the "bad batch" of Federal smooth hulls - is way more beyond "I have seem the same problem with ....". I bought 1500 1x fired of these hulls - from a fella who probably knew what he was selling me (before I knew what I was doing). Shot a bunch of them with an old Citori trap - no problems. Feeling confident, I go to a State shoot with my SKB and the same reloads - and Bam !! twice I had a hull separate in just 5 shots ! The following weekend just for kicks - took 3 more guns to the range to test fire. I had 6 stuck hulls after about 50 shots !! All 3 guns suffered from the problem. Have you really seen that with Remington ? Someone might get lucky ... and have a recipe, gun, and reloading machine .. that just works ... and wont have any problems. But, the problem IS out there. And its NOT worth the aggravation. Best to toss the hulls away if you have experienced a single failure ... and Definitely do not load them up for a State shoot !
  16. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

George,
    You dont get it. The problem with the "bad batch" of Federal smooth hulls - is way more beyond "I have seem the same problem with ....". I bought 1500 1x fired of these hulls - from a fella who probably knew what he was selling me (before I knew what I was doing). Shot a bunch of them with an old Citori trap - no problems. Feeling confident, I go to a State shoot with my SKB and the same reloads - and Bam !! twice I had a hull separate in just 5 shots ! The following weekend just for kicks - took 3 more guns to the range to test fire. I had 6 stuck hulls after about 50 shots !! All 3 guns suffered from the problem. Have you really seen that with Remington ? Someone might get lucky ... and have a recipe, gun, and reloading machine .. that just works ... and wont have any problems. But, the problem IS out there. And its NOT worth the aggravation. Best to toss the hulls away if you have experienced a single failure ... and Definitely do not load them up for a State shoot !
  17. bluskyshooter

bluskyshooter Member

George,
  18. over/under

over/under Member

Had 2 of them separate. No problem getting them out. Took 1 of them to Federal building at Grand. They didn't even acknoeledge the problem. No more Federals for me!
  19. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

No more rebate from Remington and older style Federals separate in the gun. That leaves us with AA's but don't they blow up multitudes of K-80's. Now the decision to ignore the $20 rebate from Winchester and Federal and shoot expensive Remingtons or tremble everytime we load our $15,000 Krieghoffs with defective shells.

It's gonna be a long season already!!
  20. southjblue

southjblue Active Member

I hate to beat a dead horse----I wouldn't use them at a state shoot either but I have loaded 1000s without a problem---I can get the seperated hull out in 5 min.There has been more time lost from gun malfunction and other problems than any seperated hull that I'v seen since shooting---Most time lost that I'v seen is stuck wads and they are from AAs or a bad reload.I just think you'r over reacting----I shoot k guns and don't worry since I am very careful with my loads----I cringe when I see the steel hull being used in guns----I'll keep using the Gold Medals and take my chances.Never saw a seperated wad from the Gold Medal and that's a more serious problem in my opinion.---I also have a back-up with me and can get back in line right away but never had to yet.I don't think you'll blow a bbl from a seperated hull if you check each ejected one and you'll know the hull is damaged---A few min of ag is worth it to me---AAs are more of a problem and STSs will be out of sight expense wise---What's left?---With all that said I probably just jinxed myself and will have to eat my words but no big deal----George
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.