1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck chokes

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by halfmile, Jan 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil, PB Blaster, heat gun, vise grips in that order. I believe G96 has a good penetrating oil also.

The very worst case would be a 4 jaw chuck in a lathe and cut them out. (Yes, that is done sometimes).

HM

2. psfive

psfive Member

Submerge it in Kroil, PB Blaster or equal or solvent for extended period of time (24 hours or more). Secure barrel use strap wrench to remove stuck tube. Paul in Nebraska.

3. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound drastic, but it works. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, & cross-drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper into the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas doesn't not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. I've a quite few guys on here try this & each one was impressed how well it worked & with no damage. Any type of metal pipe will work, but copper conduct heat best, so it worked faster. The glued in pipe provides complete 360 degree contact with the choke, which lessen any chance of bending or tweeking the tube. I posted this technique before on here & it worked for all that tried it.

You might have to get a smaller piece of tubing or pipe to fit the 28 ga tube.

Butch

[

4. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Use a strap wench. Or I made a friction wrench thats work better. Take a 5/8 wooden dowel about 6" or 7" long and grand a taper about 3" on a belt or disk sander. Then take a road bike inter tube 700C and cut a piece about 3" long. Put it over the wooden dowel and place in your choke.
    YO may have to make a few pass on the sander to get the taper right. When you do you may have to make it a little smaller to compensate for the inter tube.
    Out comes the choke. It will out even pressure all around the choke that is need to remove it. Once out. Clean , oil and reinstall. Now you have a wench to install and remove the chokes. Cheap.

5. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

Lewes.

I can tell you how to fix multipul posting.

Click on your post and scroll down to : Delete post. click on that and you can delete at will.

I soaked my stuck tube in Blaster, it worked after a few days with a piece of pipe wrench over some belt leather.

6. pigeon101

pigeon101 Member

this is what I have done in the past to get stucktubes out!
    first thing you need a bench vise(1) second you need a couple of peices of lead. quarter size peices or a little larger 2 of them will work.
    take barrle off of receiver. use the 2 peices of lead to hold your tube in the vise.tighten vise but dont crush your choke tube. the lead will not mark your tube or damage it. but will provided enough grip to loosen the tube while you turn the barrel. I have removed several tubes this way.

Jason in PA

7. Lewes

Lewes Member

Thanks for all of your suggestions ! Irv

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

You could order one of Stu Wright's long, tapered internal choke wrenches for $20

<center>-or-</center>

you could take it to a gunsmith who has done this kind of job before... or regret the alternative.

MK

9. ExFedex

ExFedex Active Member

All of the above plus useing dry ice. Put wad into muzzle inverted, push it just past the barrel/choke skirt joint, fill choke tube with crushed dry ice. Wear gloves and use strap wrench. Only took me three days to get one out of an SKB without damageing the tube or the rib.

10. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

A couple of ideas

1. Put your barrel in an upright freezer- take out and immediately use strap wrench

2. Drill ( preferaby in drill press) a hole all the way through of 1/8 diameter

Then use a 1/8 inch rod and with barrel in vise turn choke tube ( that tube will still be usuable) you have just made your first ported tube --- pat self on back in congratulations

3. Rather than pliers- tighten down vice on extended tube and turn barrel

In that order

Regards from Iowa

Gene

11. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

A friend of mine had one stuck for 3 years, we were at the gun club one day and talking about and had an idea of taking a box of shells and shooting them as fast as he could till the box was gone, the barrel was hot, this was in the middle of summer, and the choke turned out. Three years he has been trying everything and this is what worked.

12. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I just went through this with my daughters perazzi.. i soaked it overnight in wd 40.. nothing happened.. then I made a new wrench from where i had rounded the old one off and still nothing.. finally I took a brazing tip and heated the barrel and the inside of the choke and it moved.. after 2 hours trying i finally got it out.. good luck!

13. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

A freezer for a few days or if you live in illinois just take it outside for a couple days as it is below zero again tonight. The colder the better and it will come out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.