1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BufferBob, Dec 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Looking for ideas on how to remove a stuck choke

2. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Soak in Kroil for a day or two. Excellent penetrant, should come right out. Good luck, Bob

3. gunner53

gunner53 TS Member

P B Blaster spray it on wait 20 min spray again and try if it doesnt come loose reapeat after second time it will be free to be removed

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stand barrel up in coffee can filled half way with kerosene. Let stand over night, and should come right out in the morning. HMB

5. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Bob.. First, take 2 Xanex tablets. Wait 10 minutes, and try to remove the choke. Take a 20oz ball peen hammer, a chisel, a hack saw, a set of vise grips, and a propane torch to it. If it doesn't come out after a couple of tries, you won't care one way or the other. (KIDS, DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!)......lol..... Dan

6. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Thanks for all the help, except for Dan

7. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

Soak it in PB Blasterfor a bit and clamp the wrench in a vise and turn the barrel. No tools required * be careful not to twist the rib. Worked for me with one a fella hadn't removed in over a year.

Big Jack

8. rick979

rick979 Active Member

Bob: Have you recovered from the wreck you were in? Rick ~~~~Texas

9. JRW

JRW Member

I asked same question few weeks back soaked mine in liquid wrench about 12 hrs they came out ok. Jerry

10. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Had a tube stuck in barrel at a shoot few years back. Used everyting
    had to spray in barrel. Finally got it out. Thought had cleaned barrel
    until fired first round. The traphouse disappeared in a huge smoke
    cloud - sure got the attention of other shooters. CLEAN YOUR BARREL
    AFTER GET THE TUBE OUT.

Doyal

11. ramorton

ramorton TS Supporters TS Supporters

Don't shoot screw chokes. Buy Ljutic, Seitz or Perazzi, maybe even a Krieghoff. Just kidding, all above mentioned suggestions are good and should work. Be sure to remove your chokes after shooting and clean the threads in the barrel and the choke tube. I used mineral spirits and it worked fine. There are other fine cleaners also. Where is Varsol when you need it? Roy P.S. Leave the choke loose in the winter, you are probably watching it snow.

12. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

A friend of mine had one stuck for 2 years, he went and shot a box of shells about as fast as he could load them, the barrel got hot to the touch, choke turned out.

13. headsupdesign

headsupdesign TS Member

Soak in lubricant is a good method. If this still doesn't work put your barrels in a chest freezer overnight which shrinks everything including the crud holding your choke tube. Now put a propane torch sparingly on the barrel and you will get it.

14. phirel

phirel TS Member

hmb suggested " Stand barrel up in coffee can filled half way with kerosene. Let stand over night"
    Good, but incomplete, advice. It is best if you empty the coffee can first. Never make coffee with beans that have been soaked in kerosene.

Pat Ireland

15. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Soak it in Kroil and exercise some patience. It will come out. Kroil continually impresses me with what it will free up if you give the time to do its job. Good Luck.

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,

Take your medicine and go back to bed. HMB

17. atashooter

atashooter Member

Mirage, PB Blaster and Kryoil won't harm the bluing.

18. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Heat the barrel/choke area with a hair drier before placing the barrel in the coffee can with the penetrant. Seems to help "wick" the penetrant up into the threads...soak overnight. Best Regards, Ed

19. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound drastic, but it works. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. We did everything listed above, with no luck I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper in the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas doesn't not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. Butch

20. BufferBob

BufferBob TS Member

Where do you buy PB Blaster and Kroil. I went to my local hardware to no avail

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.