1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Sprintcarman, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Sprintcarman

Sprintcarman TS Member

How do I get a stuck choke out of my shotgun? I used anti-seize lubricant on the threads when installing it.
    Thanks, Roger

2. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Click the link, you can do your own search, stuck choke, or choke stuck and find hundreds of posts.

Best thing to do is stick the muzzle end of the barrel in a jar of Kroil for a day. Put the choke tube wrench in a vice and turn the barrel.

Wayne

3. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

wayneo has good info...also use the wife's hair dryer or other source of heated air on hot setting to heat the barrel before applying elbow grease to the choke tube wrench. This helps expand the barrel away from the choke. Regards, Ed

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

For better leverage, put the choke wrench in the vise and turn the gun. Sounds funny but it works.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The most extreme case I have seen was when the barrel had to be chucked in a lathe and the choke turned out. I would go with the Kroil and then the heat.

HM

6. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

7. 687_SP_II

687_SP_II TS Member

I have used Kroil and heat. It did not work. I sent the barrel to Briley to have choke removed.

8. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

Kroil works if the issue is rust. However, badly stuck tubes are rarely due to rust. It's due to not removing and cleaning them from time to time. Over many rounds, hot powder gases mixed with molten plastic from the back of the wads creep into the space where the tube seats. It acts damn near like epoxy. Kroil won't do it. You must use heat and leverage. If it's an extended tube, use a pipe wrench. If it's a flush tube, you will need a choke remover sold by Brownells. In either case you will trash the tube. An expensive lesson - I know. Good luck.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Kroil is the best stuff I have ever used.

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If part of the problem was caused by plastic build up then soaking in acetone would help. HMB

11. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Soak barrel tip in a cup of KROIL over night. I use an old frozen orange juice bottle.
    Kroil will work its way in and the choke should come out really easy after the soak.
    Kroil will not harm the blueing or finish one bit.
    Hope this helps....

Art

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Either that wad isn't plastic or that acetone is not acetone. Acetone dissolves plastic. HMB

13. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+4 on kroil, amazing stuff!

14. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If part of the problem was caused by plastic build up then soaking in acetone would help. HMB

15. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Soak barrel tip in a cup of KROIL over night. I use an old frozen orange juice bottle.
    Kroil will work its way in and the choke should come out really easy after the soak.
    Kroil will not harm the blueing or finish one bit.
    Hope this helps....

Art

16. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Either that wad isn't plastic or that acetone is not acetone. Acetone dissolves plastic. HMB

17. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

+4 on kroil, amazing stuff!

18. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

Heat barrel & ice choke

19. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

cross threaded choke IMHO.

Anti seize should have protected the threads from any gas, plastic, etc...

You cross threaded it I would bet.

+1 on sending it to a pro. my bet is you would have ruined the barrel doing it your self.

20. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

I've had acouple that were really stuck...and I mean stuck.

I used the afore mentioned penetrating lubricants and they do help...but after that,the real key to getting a choke out is to take a hard plastic Briley type tube knocker from a tube set gun. Put it in the choke, then take a light tapping hammer and whack it a few times. Be sure to use a hammer that is light enough that sharp blows without much weight can be delivered. The plastic knocker will not damage the choke...unless you beat the heck out of it with a heavy hammer. But the sharp light blows will loosen the threads and allow you to get the choke out.

Be sure you have a T-handle choke tool or the equivalent that you can really grasp...and that has full contact with the choke shots..with LOTS of down pressure. Be sure you do NOT slip out of the slots. Damaged slots will really cause a problem. Tightening back and forth helps after the light hammering blows too...

This will work with patience and repetition....or at least has proven to work very well on chokes that I really had decided were impossible.

Best regards...Stan

Search tags for this page

using epoxy to remove a stuck choke tube

will kroil store in a plastic bottle