1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

stuck choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill D., Jan 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

I have an extended choke that wont come out. The choke has never been installed other then hand tight. Anyone have any ideas on getting it out? I've tried everything from a rubber strap wrench to a pipe wrench. It just wont budge. And yes it had neverseize on it.

2. TD1958

TD1958 Member

Use a heat gun on the barrel to swell it up and then remove the tube. Good luck, Tim

3. Bill D.

Bill D. Member

Thanks Tim, I used a hair dryer but I guess i need hotter.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil to the rescue. Soak for a day or so and use whatever you have been using to remove. That stuff is amazing. great for rust removal and copper fouling in rifles too.

If nothing else works, I have heard of cutting it out with a lathe, that's the last resort.

HM

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

A propane torch will not hurt the bluing but will get it hotter than a hair dryer.

If that does not work...get the big torch.

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I'd soak it with Kroil, PB Blaster or some other quality penetrating oil over night. Stuff the barrel with a rag and shoot the penetrating oil in from the breech end and set the barrel choke end down for 24 hours. If you have a choke wrench for for extended chokes, chuck that wrench in a bench vise and turn the barrel/gun. You get more torque that way.

I have also used heat from a true heat gun. Make sure to heat the barrel evenly as if it would when shooting. That brings me to my next option. Go out and fire off a round of trap or two as fast as you can and then loosen it up. I always loosen my choke right after I'm done shooting for the day. Then when the barrel cools down, I do not have this issue. My Beretta 682 ain't bad about doing that but my Brownings are notorious.

7. steele

steele TS Member

I've posted this before & quite a few guys on TS have tried it with excellant results. Get about a 4" piece of 1/2" copper pipe/tubing. Cross drill a hole, 1/4", sideways about 3/4" from one end. Mix up some Accra-Glass Gel
    (barrel bedding material) & glue the copper into the choke tube. Make sure the tube is clean/dry & don't get any in the barrel. Let this setup for 24+ hours. Put a screwdriver/rod thru the drilled hole & twist the choke out. The "grunt factor might be pretty high" After the choke is out, heat some water close to a boil. Put the choke tube with the copper in the water. Accra-glass does not like heat & will soften pretty fast. The copper will come out, then use a bore brush on a battery drill to clean out the choke. It takes a little time, but I have never damaged a choke tube. Butch from Pgh

8. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

He's already had a pipe wrench on the choke so it's probably toast. A good soak with kroil, some real heat and then the pipe wrench again with the gun in a vise. Put a cheater pipe on the wrench and go for it. If that don't do it, it's off to the gun shop and some $$. Bill

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Do not under estimate the power of KROIL. It works

10. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

What Matt said. Soak in Kroil as stated above.

Put choke in vice and turn barrel. Produces way more torque.

Wayne

11. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If the choke had wrench slots in the end, 100 Straight Products makes a gorilla stuck choke removal tool:<center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

Keller

12. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have tried various methods. Using a propane torch with reasonable heat worked for me when other methods failed.
    Clyde

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.