1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Choke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bkt514, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

I am pondering with a friend on how to remove a stuck choke on his MX-15 UnSingle. It is a Briley choke inside of a Perazzi Barrel that has a Wilkenson stamp on it! I suggested sending it to Giacamo, or maybe back to Wilkenson in NC.

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

What have you tried? I would let some PB penatrating oil soak overnight and clamp a choke wrench in a vise and turn the gun instead of trying to turn the choke.---Matt

3. grntitan

Yoda is correct and some very recently.

4. bkt514

bkt514 Active Member

Thanks I will do a search!!

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

6. steele

steele TS Member

This might sound drastic, but it works. A few years ago I had a stuck tube in a Ljutic. I got a 3-4" piece of copper pipe, & cross-drilled a hole thru it about 1" from the end. I scuffed the rest of it pretty rough. I cleaned the inside of the tube & used Accru-Glas expoxy to glue the copper into the stuck tube. It setup overnight. I put a screwdriver thru the hole I drilled in the copper, using it as a spanner wrench. The tube came out with a little grunting. Accru-Glas doesn't not like heat, so I put the tube with the copper still attached in a small pot of water & heated it. 10-15 minutes was all it took for the Accru-Glas to soften & they all came apart. I put a bore brush on a cordless drill to polish out any left over Glas. It takes a little time, but it came out w/o damaging anything. I've a quite few guys on here try this & each one was impressed how well it worked & with no damage. Any type of metal pipe will work, but copper conduct heat best, so it worked faster. The glued in pipe provides complete 360 degree contact with the choke, which lessen any chance of bending or tweeking the tube. Butch

7. quartering

quartering Active Member

soak it in kerosene for a day or two. it'll come right off. good luck with it

8. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I've soaked them in penetrating oil or Kerosene for a day or two and then used a heat gun on the outside of the barrel while putting some steady torque on the choke tube. That has worked every time for me. I now use a good antisieze on the threads and clean and refresh it regularly.

9. grntitan

Quack Shot---Thats exactly what i've been doing now for about the last 4 years after i had my own stuck choke issue. I had one stuck i thought was never coming out. Just a dab of the grey anti-sieze and i have not had an issue since. An ounce of prevention.......you get it.---Matt

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

MUZZLEBLAST,

I like the way you think! I'll keep that one for reference as I know it's bound to happen to me one day.

ss

11. BIG PAPA

BIG PAPA Member

Nobody has mentioned the fact the tube is really not stuck. Depending on who TW does the work for, He will locktite the tube in so you cannot remove it. I know that the EELL that Brad Dysinger shoots on caps has a wilkerson tube that has never been out of the barrel since TW put it on with locktite.

12. psfive

psfive Member

Any anti-sieze is better than no anti-sieze. I prefer the hi tempature copper version. Paul in Nebraska

13. grntitan

Paul in Neb----I'm not familiar with the high temp stuff. Can you provide more info??--Matt

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Permatex copper hi temp compound. Used for automotive applications. Seems smoother and does not set up like some of the cheaper ones.

15. psfive

psfive Member

Just like Quack Shot says it's by Permatex. It comes in a really small can with a brush. I think I got mine from NAPA. Don't recall how much I paid. One can lasts a long, long. long time. Paul in Nebraska

16. grntitan

Thanks guys, i'll check Auto Zone this morning. The silver stuff i'm using does get a little thick after its been used awhile probably from the heat. It has never set up and not allowed the choke to come out though.---Matt

17. Claydotter

Claydotter Active Member

I`m with Quack Shot. Heat.

When I had a problem I used a propane torch. Keep the flame moving.

No need to heat too much. Heat to about how hot the barrel would get after shooting about 5 or 6 consecutive rounds through the gun.

Regards, Pete

18. BCJ

BCJ TS Member

Big Papa is right. At your request Tom Wilkinson will lock the choke tubes in. You may want to check with Tom. Bart

19. B V

B V TS Member

Tri-Flow Food Grade antiseize with P.T.F.E.

Do a google search for "triflow antiseize"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.