1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Allen-MX8, Oct 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

A friend has a Browning BT-99 with the factory choke tube and it seems to be stuck. At least he can't remove it--after he shot 25 targets this evening he and another shooter also tried to remove it with no success! Can anyone give a suggestion on what to do to remove the choke tube?

Thanks for your help.

Allen

2. tuscarora 99

tuscarora 99 TS Member

Has he tried cleaning his barrel and then trying to take it out?

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

The following is from the Trulock choke web site. Bill Malcolm ...

Frozen Chokes

We have pulled frozen chokes in our shop of almost every brand. Normally by the time we get the barrel one or more people have attempted to remove the choke. Did you ever wonder where the saying “Fixed Guns Repaired” came from? This is a problem that can be prevented 99% of the time by simply cleaning the choke/barrel on a regular basis. The number one problem is RUST in the threaded area of the choke/barrel. If you keep this from forming, you generally will not experience any problems. The second problem is choke creep (expansion). This fortunately is much less of a problem than rust. This is caused normally by using large steel shot in tight chokes (full or tighter). Follow the manufacturer’s suggestions when using steel shot and the odds are very much in your favor that you will have no problems. If choke creep happens you will notice the choke becoming harder to remove and install and if you continue shooting it will eventually lock itself in the barrel.

If you find yourself with a frozen choke my first suggestion is to take it to a competent gunsmith. Make sure the smith has some experience in this line of work.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WARNING

The below is not intended to be all inclusive instructions. If you are not responsible for your own actions, do not attempt to use any of the suggestions.

Unload the gun, remove the barrel from the action and soak the muzzle in a can of penetrating oil for several days. Make sure the container has a sufficient amount of oil to completely cover the barrel as deep as the choke is recessed. Use a proper fitting choke wrench and try to work the choke back and forth in small increments. If this does not work try letting it soak several more days. Heat applied to the choke area can be of help. Never get the barrel so hot that you cannot touch it with your hand for several seconds. Do not use a hammer of any kind to try and “tap” it. Soaking and low heat will get most frozen chokes out. Take your time, we have seen a number of barrels ruined because of impatience.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

a really good choke tube wrench check brownells they have some heavy duty ones, how long has it been in. I used above for some very stuck tubes, saving the tube was of no concern at this point. Also a good strap wrench to hold the barrel or some sort of barrel vise. I bought a barrel vise adaptor from brownells that fits in my home vise. Works ok. Great for cleaning. Soak in PB over night. try a quick hot water dunk. or even a heatgun, but be careful just a touch of heat. carlsons makes a decent heavy duty wrench. you can also find some with hex heads. Google choke tube removers

5. nipper

nipper TS Member

righty-tighty-lefty-loosey

Bill

6. Shady Creek

Shady Creek TS Member

Don't force it!!!!!! I bought an old BT that had a stuck tube, it took about a week to get it out.
    I used liquid wrench,soaked it for a day, put the wrench in and tapped the wrench with a hammer and soaked it for another couple of days. I did this over and over and on the last day, I actually tightened it a little,it loosened up a little,
    I worked back and forth and it finally came out and I saved both the barrel and the choke. GOOD LUCK

7. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Soaking in a good penetrating oil and time as listed above. Bob

8. omahasportingsupply

omahasportingsupply TS Member

9. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Go down to the supermarket and get yourself a couple of quarts of inexpensive cooking oil and heat it up on the stove to a temperature over 212 degrees, but less than the temperarture that the solder that holds the rib on. I'm estimating around 250 to 300 degrees. Submerse the end of the barrel in the hot oil and let it set for 5 to 10 minutes. Use a good quality choke tube wrench to loosen the choke tube out. The factory Remington wrench is the best. The stuck choke in my Citori came right out.

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Soaking is a good penetrating lubricant is step one. Kerosene is an excellent penetrating lubricant. Next heat with very light tapping and firm pressure on the wrench. Do this over several days. As a last resort, six hours in a freezer may help. Have patience.

Pat Ireland

11. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks for the suggestions. I will relay the information/suggestions to the friend with the stuck choke tube.

Allen

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

cant stress WATCH ANY HEAT, you may wonder why your rib shaking after a shot is fired, not that I did this ahhh 3 times. So far all the stuck tubes I have had to deal with are one very inexspensive guns. gun paint is a blessing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stuck choke tube you tube

stuck citori choke tube video