1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STUCK CHOKE TUBE

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PLUS, Nov 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLUS

PLUS Member

WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO REMOVE A STUCK CHOKE, WITHOUT DOING ANY DAMAGE? FLUSH INV. PLUS

2. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

do a search as it has been discussed many times. try soaking in pb blaster or warming with a heat gun and melting a candle into the threads and let the wax wick in. motordoc

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

motordoc has it right. we have a useful search function on this forum that will give you more than you can ever use! Try putting in stuck choke tubes and change the search to match all.

Jim

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Stand the barrel up in a coffee can half filled with kerosene. Let it soak overnight. Should come right out in the morning. HMB

5. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Do yourself a favor and take it to a gunsmith who knows what they're doing. In the end it will cost you far less than it will to make repairs it after you bugger it up trying someone's half-baked home remedy.

MK

6. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I can't see you really messing yourself up by trying it on your own first. HBM's kero is a good idea. I like Kroil. Can't say that I've ever had one drop dead stuck but had ones I thought were bound and soaked it Kroil for easy removal. Don't use anything more than your tube wrench.

You should try to use some type of tube lube on your chokes. Take them out and re-install them more often. Many millions of things to put on there. Any lube or anti-seize is better than nothing.

But, if you think or know that you are a hammer jockey with no hand skills and patience than take it to a gunsmith. He's gonna soak it before he gets started.

7. Francis Marion

Francis Marion Well-Known Member

If you're anywhere near SE. Wisconsin, send me a PM and I'll help you. An Inv. Plus is a snap. Spray a few times over a couple of days with liquid wrench or LPS. Do this over a few days. Carefully clamp in a vice using plastic shims. As stated earlier, if you aren't sure what too tight is, get some help.Using a Remington choke wrench, which is steel and fits Inv. chokes like a glove, Tap wrench with a dead blow hammer and take out. Fell free to send a PM if you want further help.

8. phirel

phirel TS Member

HMB posted good advice. So did Steve when he mentioned tapping, rather lightly, with a hammer. Add heat if needed. If heat does not work, try cold. Keep repeating these methods with care and someday, it will come out.

Another option, the one I use, is put in a light full choke tube and never take it out. Well, I do take mine out once every 2-4 years, lube the threads and put it back in.

If it requires much pressure to put a tube in, there is a thread problem. I seat my tube with my fingers. After that, the wrench can only slightly turn the tube.

Pat Ireland

9. setter

setter Member

More!

10. setter

setter Member

Still more!

11. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Start by looking at the end of the barrel (empty, of course)...make sure the barrel itself has not been dented by bumping against something..I've had several come in that way and all it took was a little judicious work with a drift punch to straighten out the dent and the choke tube came right out. Other than that, I agree with soaking overnight and trying it, then, before you screw it up totally, take it to a good gunsmith.

Don't use a cheater bar on the wrench.

12. mooshkat

mooshkat Member

I had a friend who had the same problem, couldnt get it out for two years, he tried everything. Someone told him to take it out and shoot it a bunch of times quickly, get it so the barrel gets hot to the touch, when it got hot the choke turned out.

13. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Before soaking overnight in a solvent as suggested above (a great idea) use your wife's hair dryer set on high to heat up the end of the barrel before inserting it into the solvent solution...helps the solution "wick" up into the threads of the barrel/choke to do its work. Then, re-heat after soaking a sufficient time before using the wrench. Worked for me. Best Regards, Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

choke tube stuck