1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck choke tube in a 410 O/U

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Jun 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I tried to remove a choke tube and can't get it out. I put a wad in the end of the barrel and put several ounces of kerosene in it and let it soak for two days. Then drained it and took a hair dryer and heated the barrel and then stripped my choke wrench. I tried several other things all to no avail. Any suggestions? Thanks, I appreciate your help. Jackie B.

2. RAScott

RAScott Member

Have you tried to shoot like 20-25 rounds one after another then try and get it out while the barrel is hot? I heard it works.
    Bob S

3. Shooting Jack

4. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Kroil is a much better penetrant than kerosene. Good luck, Bob

5. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

Here's what I did when my choke tube got stuck in my Citori.

I heated up a quart of cooking oil to a temperature below what I estimated was the melting temperature for the solder on the ribs- approximately 300 degrees.

I made a fixture on the potting bench outside using scrap lumber to hold the hot barrel.

I put the end of the barrel in the hot cooking oi, about four inches deep in the pot I was using, and waited five minutes.

After five minutes, I pulled the barrel out of the oil and quickly secured the barrel in the fixture.

Using my Remington choke tube wrench (having broken two others already on previous attemts) I turned out the stuck choke tube. It came right out.

Good luck,

Pat

6. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Also try putting the choke tube wrench in the vise and turning the barrel. You can get way more leverage that way. I would do it while hot as suggested above if possible. Just fire 25 as fast as possible and then try it. Worked for me.

As a side note. Always loosen your choke a hair while the gun is still hot when your finished for the day. That will prevent it seizing up. Also keep the choke threads clean both on the choke and the gun. a little anti-seize goes a long way too.

7. MACH4RANDY

MACH4RANDY Member

There is a thread freeing product on the market called SUPER RUST BREAKER made by AMREP chemical company. It goes the other way from the heat and has some freon in it and will cause the corrosion to frActure and let the lubricant in . Works very well in oil fields etc. It is in a aerosol can.

8. Skeeterzx

Skeeterzx Member

PB Blaster is a killer penetrant. Give it a whirl. You'll like it.

9. metal1

metal1 TS Member

had the same issue ,but far from my home tools ,in a hotel room i heated up the barrel under the hot water running in the sink then took a dime ( it fit the groves in the choke)held with a small crestent wrench,the first one bent without hurting anything ,the second time it spun right out,the heat expands the bore letting the choke turn out good luck ,jeff

10. Shooting Jack

Thanks everyone. I will give those tips a try. I bought a heat gun yesterday to use but have to come up with something that fits the choke slots as I stripped my choke wrench out already. I'll come up with something, even if I have to grind down one of my large screwdrivers. LOL Jackie B.

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Another thing to try is to leave the barrel set in the freezer overnight, then try the heat gun on the outside of the choke area, then see if it will break loose.

12. SetterGuy

SetterGuy Member

Here's another vote for a soak with Kroil, by Kano Labs: next, take the 4-slot core out of your broken wrench and insert it into the notches of the choke tube.
    Gather up your courage, and give it a sharp rap with a hammer - straight down the barrel: not so hard as to drive it to the chamber .... but a good, firm rap. The objective here is to break the corrosive bond in the threads.
    Then, insert a choke wrench with a handle, and lightly strike the handle so as to turn it counterclockwise ( or even tap it in both directions to alternately turn it in and out). The shock works far better than a slow, strong torque - principal of an impact gun.

I play with Porsche's as a hobby, and these tricks almost always work on delicate , $$$$, machined housings .... and have removed choke tubes too ... :)

13. metal1

metal1 TS Member

be careful with the screw driver ,better to use something soft so you dont do more damage ,jeff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kerosene for stuck choke