1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Stuck choke tube....how to remove???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by scoutmaster, Sep 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

I bought a used Rem 11/87 barrel and the choke tube won't come out....any suggestions for removing the tube?

Scoutmaster
  2. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

Remington makes a choke wrench that uses all 4 notches, and has a 3/8" socket hole in the back. Soak end of barrel in penetrating oil for a while, then use this wrench with some down force and leverage. I have had success doing it this way. Mark
  3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Cut a potato and.......oh that's for a broken light bulb.

Seriously, the first thing I'd try, is go and shoot a 100 rounds and get it good and hot. While its still cook'n try to loosen it. If that does not work, get some PB Blaster penetrating oil and soak it down real good. Let that soak overnight and try it again the next day. For better leverage, put the choke tube wrench in a vise and turn the gun. Seriously, it works.
  4. ImpalaBob

ImpalaBob TS Member

I really like my Browning "crank handle" choke tube wrench. http://www.opticsplanet.com/browning-choke-tube-wrench.html

You could try heating the barrel with a heat gun on the outside. This will slightly expand the barrel before the choke.

Spray inside barrel with liquid wrench, stuff a rag and let sit.

I have also used freeze spray http://www.henkelna.com/industrial/industrial-news-6128-loctite-freeze-release-frees-and-lubricates-rusted-threaded-7672.htm
  5. Firewater

Firewater Member

All the above, also stand the barrel up in a tin(soup)can, then fill the can with blaster . Walk away try again in a few days. I have seen this work. Mike
  6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Kroil is the best. PB Blaster is 2nd.

HM
  7. Firewater

Firewater Member

Also Gunzilla will loosen mine when I dont want it to.Mike
  8. Aulovel5

Aulovel5 TS Member

Turn the wrench the other way
  9. mike Adcock

mike Adcock Member

I have not had the problem but, I have read. Freeze the barrel over night. Have all you stuff ready ( hair dryer, tube wrench and soft jaws for the vice ). Remove the barrel from the freezer, snug it in the soft jaws, apply low heat to the barrel briefly to heat the "barrel" and insert the wrench to loosen the tube. Idea is to expand the barrel just a little to allow the tube to turn out.

Good luck with it and let us know which method worked.

Mike Adcock
  10. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The penetrating oil mixes do work most of the time but heating with a torch also works in the extreme cases. The downside of the torch is that you can get the end of the bbl too hot and melt out some rib solder. - Just an option to consider if the penetrants don't work, in any event the choke removal tool that engages all four lugs and has a 3/8" drive well is a good idea.
  11. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

4 lugs and a 3/8 drive! Works for changin' tires too!!
  12. don q

don q TS Member

I resently bought a 1187 with a flush choke tube really stuck. I tried everything mentioned above. While in a gun store looking for a different kind of wrench an old boy behind me was listening to my prob said take a socket the exact size of the tube not the barrel and whack it pretty hard a couple of times with a hammer, well it came out finger tight and I stuck in my .660 turkey extended choke tube. Good luck. don q
  13. pumpernck

pumpernck Member

second on Kroil, amazing stuff.
  14. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

OK! Now we have one "unstuck"....how do I keep one from backing out while I am shooting a round? It seems as if I am shooting the bottom barrel the top tube begins to back out during a round! Martinpicker
  15. Raymobolt

Raymobolt TS Member

Fourth or fifth for kroil! When I do find it, I make sure to buy at least a case! It makes pb blaster look like motor oil in a can. Find a tin cup a four lug choke wrench and let it soak.

Good luck!
    Raymo
  16. BD457

BD457 Member

What's wrong with fixed chokes? I prefer 'em

(Kroil......the best stuff out there for this)

Mike
  17. scoutmaster

scoutmaster Member

Where can you buy "Kroil" oil?

Scoutmaster
  18. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

You can get it here for sure.

Rock

Jim
  19. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Active Member

Don Q 's approach will work. The impact of a rap with a correct weight tapping hammer will break the thread lock...it's called warming up the joint in some vocational fields.

Exactly the right size socket or the like and a few sharp raps on the end of the choke with a light to moderate weight tapping hammer.

Soaking before hand in any of the above penetrants will be a big help if you want to use every advantage.

5 minutes and your done..always use a "good" 4 point choke wrench of course.

Stan..
  20. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They have a good deal for first time Kroil users, 2 spray cans and 1 regular for 13 or so.

HM
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.