1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Stuck BT-99 factory choke fixed !!

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by thom, Sep 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thom

thom TS Member

Have a NIB BT-99....never fired...purchase Saturday. Took it out to assemble it for the first time tonight. Tried to remove factory installed flush Full choke and it wouldn't budge. Applied all the pressure I could muster to the included choke wrench without running something through it's handle to lengthen it and hopefully increase the leverage. Still no go.....
    Applied some KROIL to the muzzle end of the choke and ran some it down the inside of the barrel hoping that it will migrate, then penetrate and loosen it up overnight. Even heated the barrel up a bit with a hair dryer to see if that would help, but no.....perhaps the Kroil needs time to work overnight.

Any suggestions? Shoot it loose?
    I'm basically a Klutz on all things mechanical and hate to risk 'boogerin up' this fine new firearm.....

( I know what I'll get from the "shoot any choke as long as it's Full" crowd on this, but I'll have to risk it anyway :)......... )

Thanks for your ideas........

~~~~~~~<'{{><

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I know my chokes come out alot easier while the gun is hot from shooting. I would try some PB Penetrating oil and the choke wrench again first though.

Leave the Full in, its all you need............LOL had to say it...

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

I had a Moneymaker .780 on a A303 that the choke wouldn't come out of. I took the bead off and stuck the muzzle into a can of penetrating oil for a week. It came out easily.

Buz

4. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

If, as you say, it's a new gun. Take it back to where you bought it and let them do it.

Buz

5. blkcloud

blkcloud Active Member

I bought my wife a new bt99 micro.. I nearly stood on my head trying to get the choke out for the first time.. no reason on earth for them to be so tight.. I bought mine from a dealer 600 miles away so I couldnt take mine back very easily..

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

This comes up a lot on TS.com. Do a search on stuck choke. Above link is an example. I agree with Buz, take it back.

It's a moot point for you, but for others watching this thread, always have the dealer remove the choke on any shotgun before you buy it. Inspect the threads on the choke, and make sure the choke screws in and out easily.

Wayne

7. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

THOM, put the wrench in a vise and turn the barrel.will usually break them loose.You get much better leverage and won't slip out as easy. Then if that doesn't work soak it in Kroil for a couple days. Hope this helps George

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Good idea George. I will have to mark that one down. Leverage is the key to most problems such as that.---Matt

9. Sky Buster

Sky Buster Sky Buster TS Supporters

Send the barrel back to Browning with a copy of your bill of sale.
    They should make it right.

10. Jack Frost

Jack Frost TS Member

I am having the same darn problem on my new BT99 I picked up yesterday. Why do they install them at all?

J.F.

11. hfrogdogc

hfrogdogc Member

get a inch cork and stick it in the choke tube. put sum PB in the barrel,stand the barrel on card board. the PB can only pass on the outside of the choke tube threads. this has worked for me. HENRY

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Jack , They install the choke to protect the threads and the muzzle.

Sounds like they are installing the choke with an air tool. Smacking the end of a long handled wench with a hammer should pop it loose. I don't think soaking it in oil will work, it isn't stuck from rust but torque. Browning needs to hear about it.

13. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

I had a similar case perhaps not as tight as yours, the wrench you got with the gun isnt to great my T handled Berreta wrench pushed down pretty hard vertically turned it out.

Pete

14. zzoom

zzoom Member

My wives new bt99 micro had same problem. Used provided wrench, clamped pair of vice grips to wrench and was able to remove choke.

15. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

I have had excellent results with a little heat from a propane torch. They come out easily with heat. Clyde Doll

16. thom

thom TS Member

Problem solved !

Took it back to the dealer and he put it in a barrel vise and used the Browning Speed Choke wrench on it. The combination of the two, with added elbow grease was enough to pop it free. STOS lubricant on the threads, and the original choke went in and came out easily thereafter.

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions........it's great to have a safety net in place for my reoccurring missteps!

~~~~~<'{{><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.