1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS's vs Gun Club's (opinions)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bill Roberts, Apr 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bill Roberts

Bill Roberts Active Member

STS

Other than the obvious (steel base GC) how do you think these two shells compare?
    Talking about NEW shells not reloads.

Thanks for your opinions.

Bill

2. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

The last time I cut them open, the GC's used a different powder and wad than the STS. The primer appeared to be the same. I didn't make any effort to distinguish the quality of the shot, but I have heard that the GC's have softer shot.

3. poppat

poppat Member

If anyone needs sts or gun clubs let me know I have thousands of each
    Terry

4. cunninmp

cunninmp Member

Bill,
    I shoot both Gun Clubs and STS new shells for ATA matches. At 16 yards I must admit I don't see much of a difference. But for Handicap, I only use STS's. I feel they break/smoke the birds much better.
    On my pattern board at 40 yards using a CG Light Full choke, from a rest, the STS's give me a tighter pattern.
    On Doubles for the first shot I use a Gun Club or a reload. But the second is always an STS. I'm slow at Doubles so I want the added assurance on the second shot.
    Your mileage might vary.
    Mike C.

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

When I need really soft shot for experimentation I cut apart some Gun Clubs and use the shot; it's super-soft (by drop test.)

Neil

6. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I agree with the others that Gun Clubs are adequate for Singles but the shot is too soft for Handicap. OTOH I have registered good long yardage HCP scores with both Federal Top Guns and Winchester Super Targets.

7. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I've shot bushles of Gun Clubs at 16 yds. But when I back up to handicap I reach for Nitro 27's @ 1235. I keep flats of each.

8. K-EIGHTY

K-EIGHTY Member

I cut open several of each...I didn't measure the hardness of the shot, but a close visual examination of the shot size was stunning. The STS shot was perfectly uniformed, while the Gun Clubs looked like they were a mix of 9's to 7.5's.

9. postmastertim

postmastertim Wheels are falling off.... TS Supporters

I had two GC's without primers and powder, Remington did send me a check when I returned the shells and box.

I have yet to have a STS without a primer, but for the price I'll stick with GC's.

Tim

10. Timd3200

Timd3200 Member

I have shot both. Like said before GCs are ok at the 16 but when you move back much they don't break targets for me as well as STS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.