1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS vs GUN CLUB TEST

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pb, Jun 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pb

pb TS Member

I patterned 1 1/8th oz #8 Remington gun clubs and STS shells today and wow am I surprised. At 40 yds from my IM choke the STS had 366 pellets in the 30” circle for a 79% pattern. The Gun Club had only 280 for 61%. I am going to try a few more but I had no idea that there would be that difference at 40yds……

Anyone else try STS vs Gun Club? (still going to shoot gun clubs, I love to load them, great hull, just only for 16yds singles)

Jon

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

There is a difference between magnum and softer shot. You just proved that I think. Better wads in the Figure 8 configuration as well would be my guess.

Jeff

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

PB, I'd be really surprised in those percentages held up after you average 5 or ten each. The STS percentage is right from a full choke, but the Gun Clubs looks too low. 10% to 12% lower is about the norm.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I shot my lowest scores this year with gunclub, thank god those 4 cases are spent.......

5. pb

pb TS Member

I will shoot more of the Gun Clubs, they can't be that low.......(can they?)....... I just wanted to know if others had done this yet at 40 yds.

Jon

6. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

I would believe your figures. I shoot STS 1 1/8 #8's Lights and love them. I have run several 100 straights with these shells in my Mach One with an Improved Modified choke. Just left the CA. State Shoot Singles event with a 198 [98 + 100] using these shellls. Some guns prefer certain shells and my gun loves the STS shell @ 1,145 ft/sec. Superb patterning and no discerible felt recoil after 200 rounds. Fred

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Last time I tested them, I saw a difference of only about 4%. That was STILL 4% better for the STS, but not earth shaking. Some guns may certainly shoot one load better than another. I see that all the time with reloads. One load that does well in one gun, does not always do as well in another. The STS is one shell I compare my reloads to, since it seems to perform well in my guns.

8. famill00

famill00 TS Member

Ok I will give you the benefit of the doubt with what you say you found. My question is this.....WHy not just shoot a Full choke with the gun clubs instead of an IM?? This will allow you to get the same pellet count while not compromising the diameter of your shot pattern...correct? Its important to keep in mind that different shells like different chokes. I have a Briley IM that loves 7.5's but wont pattern 8's worth a crap. I have a Briley Full that is just the opposite. YOu never really know how your shells perform till you put them on paper.

Just MHO,
    Forrest

9. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

I'm also really surprised with the GunClubs performance, I've never had them do as well as an STS but they were alot closer than that. How was the density of the pattern? That pellet count is awful close to mine using 7 1/2's, and I shot a really nice score last weekend using them from the 25, using .025" choke, and hitting targets hard.

I'm not a fan of the power piston wad, but I certainly like them better than a CB.

10. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

pb - Were those single patterns, or an average of several? There is big shot-to-shot variance with patterns, so you really need to average of 3, 5 is much better, 10 is great but hey.....

The last person I spoke with that methodically and carefully patterned Gun Clubs against various U.S. made premium ammo found about a 10% difference. He did that at least 10 years ago, so things could be different now.

IMHO, think famill00 makes a good point about changing chokes. If a 70% choke is what you desire, is there any difference between 70% pattern with STS and Choke A, and a 70% pattern with Gun Clubs and Choke B?

BTW - I like Gun Clubs for skeet. But I doubt if there is such a thing a bad 12 skeet ammo.

11. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

pb, did they have the same number of pellets? That's really important if you want to compare two shells and without knowing that, you don't have much.

Neil

12. pb

pb TS Member

As for number of pellets all I know is they are both "1 1/8 oz #8". I guess I need to cut them open and check the weight. (I don't want to count 460 #8 pellets). Any ideas or info would be great. Neil I know your tests are the best. Have you ever looked into the Gun Club shell?

Jon

13. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Jon....For what it's worth, I patterned some Gun Clubs and some Remington Nitro27's from 40yds, and my results, over a 10 shot spread with each shell, was very close to yours. The Nitro27's out performed the Gun Clubs with every shot. I have shot some of my worst handicap scores with the Gun Clubs, which was the reason for the test. I refuse to shoot them, even for singles, for practice, or in a registered shoot. Interestingly enough, I also patterned some Estates (3dr. 71/2 SXH Super Handicaps)) and they patterned as good as the Nitro27's did. My DB-81 prefers the NItro27 71/2's, and patterns them better than any other factory shell I have shot through it. I was surprised, however, at the performance of those Estates, and if I run short of Nitros, I have several flats of the Estates for back up. As for the Gun Clubs, I'll let somebody else shoot them....Just my experience.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

14. 870

870 Well-Known Member

My unscientific test was long yardage handicap, down a couple targets after 75 and found I was short a box of shells (I use AA handicaps). Another shooter was nice enough to give me a box of Gun Club 3 Dram 7.5's and I think I missed 10 targets on that last trap.

Was it the shells or in my head? Who knows, but I won't be using Gun Clubs for handicap; actually at all if I can avoid it.

15. lumper

lumper TS Member

Does the testing really matter?

I have recently heard that Remington either already has or is in the process of discontinuing the Gun Club shells because of the amount of sales they had on them vs. STS & Nytro's. They were selling so many more cheap priced lower profit gun clubs than the higher priced and higher profit STS & Nytro's that they decided to discontinue the gun clubs ... if this is true does it matter what the pattern is like on a shell that you might not ever be able to get again?

16. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

As Eddie said, or, reload, and use premium components, including magnum shot!

17. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

pb, even with premium shells the pellet count is only close. With bargain shells, you've nothing to go on at all. 8 could be 7's, could be just big dust.

I've never gotten anywhere testing them since the pellet is so unreliable.

When I did premium shot vs soft shot the difference was far less than you report. That's why I wonder how it's possible.

Neil

18. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I agree with CP. All the info is very interesting but nothing is perfect and I would say 99% of all shots that are missed are by a slight margin of 6". It has nothing to do with the type of shell its between your ears kids!!!

Corey

19. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Some people can execute reliably every time. Alas, not me! Buuuuttt.......... the fact that I am shooting a "better" shell (My Nitro duplicates) seems to help.

HM

20. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

If you didn't count the pellets in several shells from the same box or lot # of each shell tested, then you have no idea what size shot you were shooting or how much (weight) in each shell. Not all shells marked as containing 1 1/8 ounce of shot actually contain 1 1/8 ounce of shot. Also, the shot size, particularly on the Gun Clubs, could be almost anything.

Also, you don't mention how many of each shell you shot for comparison.

Nor did you indicate exactly HOW the test was performed. No offense intended, but some people draw a circle and then step back and shoot at it and count the pellets in the circle. If you did that, then your results are invalid.

Since you indicated that you didn't want to take the time to count all the pellets in a shell, then I suspect that your test results were not very scientific. Valid results require a lot of time and effort. Conclusions based on inadequate or improperly done testing don't mean much.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

sts vs gun club