1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

sts vs. aa

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by setool, May 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. setool

setool Member

Guy's,

Very curious... what makes the Remington STS hulls so superior to Winchester AA hulls ???

I've just got back into shooting and reloading, and it seems everybody loves the Rem.'s over the AA's ? WHY ??

Mark Schneider

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Because Remington seized the opportunity and duplicated the original compression form hulled Winchester AA and made them green. Smart guys, they.

If Winchester could solve their two piece hull separation problem, there would be no significant difference between the two.

3. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Federal Gold Medal plastic is one piece. Remington's Gun Club is one piece, as well.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

I am a minority- I like the AA hulls and I have way too many AA hulls on hand to change. Also, I believe red is a better color than green for my trap loads. Red coordinates best with my shooting vests and a shooter must be well dressed.

Pat Ireland

5. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I'm with Pat. I see no difference and use both. Red AA for singles, Grey for handicap, STS green for 1oz loads.

I have had 2 Federals separate and get lodged in the barrel. Caught it both times (sounded funny). I don't do Federal's anymore.

6. colonel klink

colonel klink Active Member

I son't think the new Federal Gold Medals are one piece. The older ribbed case was but I believe the new one is a two piece but I could be wrong. For reasons Setterman stated I threw all new Federals in the trash, just not worth it. Load all Remington & old AA. Colonel

7. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

For me it's a simple matter of the durability of the Remington over the Winchester for sub-1200 fps 1 oz. loads:<UL><LI>a percentage of Winchester hulls start to split down the side after only a couple reloads; Remingtons don't<LI>Winchester hulls start to swell above the base after a few reloads; Remingtons don't<LI>Winchester hulls start to leak soot around the primer (Federal) and into the firing pin bore after 3 or 4 reloads; Remingtons don't</UL>

That's why I use Remingtons.

MK

8. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

If anyone thinks Federal Gold Medals are one piece take the brass off the hull and take a real close look at them.

Bob Lawless

9. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

I shoot them both, load them both all mixed together from the same bucket, and never have found a lick of difference. Same for when they are factory-fresh.

Neil

10. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

I personally switched from AA to STS/Nitro hulls for all reasons obvious. They are the same price new, and the hull is simply superior today on several fronts.

As for Federal, I don't use them, never will. I was witness in Reno at the GWG to two separations on two different days of BRAND NEW federal shells. The entire case blew off the base and glued itself to the inside of some mighty nice barrels, all that came out easily was the base. The plastic wall of the hull required a smith to carefully extract.

I would not believe that if I had not been there in person.

11. dverna

dverna Active Member

The AA's and STS's load different on the PW 800+ I use.

I slightly lower the pre-crimp on the STS's to get a perfect crimp. It must be a "defect" on my PW 800+ as many people make no adjustments between the two hulls and load them mixed.

Or maybe I am too anal about my crimps.

Don Verna

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

I like Gun Club's best because so many people use them, and just leave them on the ground.

Virtually unlimited supply of once-fired hulls.

You can find STS's and AA's but finding once-fired is rare.

13. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

I must admit that I like the STS hulls better, but for some 1oz loads the pressure with a AA hull is lower (http://www.hodgdon.com/) and therefore my choice.

It's easier for me to reuse a AA hull once or twice and toss than it is an STS!

My 2 Cents,
    TNCoach

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I will load either. The issue with the Remingtons is the primer fit and length variations. The issues with the AA hulls are the extra adjustments required to get a good crimp without wrinkles in the hull. Also the wads for the AA hulls are a little more critical with regards to design. My Mec 9000 will load either hull interchangeably without many issues. I sometimes need to make adjustments to fine tune the crimps, but it's usually a minor effort.

I have NEVER seen a basewad migration in a AA hull and I have loaded thousands since they came out. I inspect every hull before loading, and the inside of the hull is given a good look. I usually toss them if something is looking back at me. :)

15. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Mr. Quack,

Respectfully I submit that "something looking back at me" is the crux of the subject. It is all but impossible for an STS basewad to go anywhere but where it is manufactured. Like Federals that separate (more than) occasionally, people have given me Federal hulls and I give them the choice of keeping them or I throw them away. We take no more chances than necessary in reloading. There is no doubt that Rem STS and Gun Club are the safest and longer lasting of the hulls on the market.

Thanks for listening and good shooting.

Larry

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

<blockquote><I>" The AA's and STS's load different on the PW 800+ I use.

I slightly lower the pre-crimp on the STS's to get a perfect crimp. It must be a "defect" on my PW 800+ as many people make no adjustments between the two hulls and load them mixed."</I></blockquote>

I load them on a PW 900 and have to lower the crimp starter considerably for the AA hulls as compared to my Remington setting.

I have discovered that I get better crimps on the AA hulls (more fully closed, less shoulder distortion) by using the smooth cone head in the crimp starter for AA hulls instead of the 8-fold. There is little difference between using the smooth cone and the 8-fold head doing Remingtons but there is a lot of difference when doing AAs.

MK

17. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

I load them interchangeably, and the same recipe goes into both. I adjusted my PW 950 for the AAs, and the same settings work fine for STSs with no changes. That has eliminated the occasional hull wrinkling.

I *have* seen a couple loose basewads. This was when they first came out; I had a couple target boxes of once-fireds and hadn't loaded any yet. When the first reports of migrating basewads were posted here, I checked them all with a dowel rod. Sure enough, there were a couple.

I only shoot them in a break-open and always look down the barrel after each shot, so no problem.

18. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

LDAdd

The things looking back at me usually have legs and are, or once were alive. It's amazing just how many critters can call an empty hull a home. I also have found pieces of targets and the odd twig and cigarette butt.

19. dolphin62

dolphin62 Member

sts..for 12 gauge and 20
    aa and federal for 28
    aa for 410

20. LDAdd

LDAdd TS Member

Mr. Quack,

Ah yes, I have had all the things you mention plus a few other pieces of debris in shells that I have salvaged, even if they were from that day. Don't forget the occasional rock, pebble, and even an acorn once. In addition to STS hulls, I load a lot of Estate, Wallys,& Top Guns for trap doubles, skeet, and sporting clays so I don't have to save them. I do a fair inspection of those before trusting them as well, otherwise, 18.0 grs. Promo, CB 12S0 clone, any primer but Federal, 1 oz. 8's or 9's, toss 'em, and save the STS for more serious things. All that being said, if STS suddenly became unavailable, I would load the AA's before Gold Medals without reservation. The reason I eliminated Federal primers is that I load a lot of small guage shells and (410/28/20) and don't want Feds in them.

We do have lots of fun with all this. Today four of us shot two rounds of 410 skeet in dark, breezy conditions and a 21 and 22 were right in there. Then followed a long, noisy political conversation and a few cocktails....at least we're all on the same side (guess which side!!), then home for a great BBQ rib dinner with a shrimp salad....doesn't get any better than this.

Cheers

Larry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
aa vs sts loads
remington plastic sts vs win aa
remington sts vs winchester aa
remington sts vs winchester aa factory shotshells

sts vs aa

sts vs aa factory load
which are more preferred remington sts or winchester aa