1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS versus Nitro Hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMITH47, Jul 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMITH47

SMITH47 Member

What is the difference between STS and Nitro hulls for the purpose of reloading ?
    My progressive reloader is currently adjusted for STS hulls and i would like to know if i can interchange Nitros without any problems ?

thanks,

ernie

2. Ljutic111

Ljutic111 TS Member

The answer is yes you can .

3. ABH

ABH Member

The color is the only difference.

4. freeheel

freeheel TS Member

no problems for me interchanging the STS and Nitor in my 366. I've always heard that the Nitro's were a little slicker plastic. They do feel a little different. I do think the STS hulls are a little more durable though. Anyone else find this to be true? I'll have to go down into my laboratory and work up an experiment.

5. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

No difference in loading results...good crimps and no problems. All I load (and have loaded for the past 5 years or so) is STS Green for my 1 oz. and Nitro Gold for my 1 1/8. May be my imagination, but the Nitro golds seem to last a little longer...few more loadings for each hull. I put a small "tick" mark on each hull base with a black Sharpie pen with each loading and Nitros seem to last for at least 8 loadings...STS for about 6 or 7. Then they get loaded once more and pitched. Best Regards, Ed

6. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

These, as of today, are by far probably the best hulls to reload, in my opinion.

The older style AA hulls are in the same category.

Although, MY MOST FAVORITE hull to reload is the Federal paper.

WW

7. Didreckson

Didreckson Active Member

Both are excellent, and I think the best to reload currently. The only difference I have noticed between them is the Nitro hulls are more consistent length than the STS which gives me a more consistent crimp on the gold hulls. Nothing wrong with the STS but will swirl in the center often.

Material wise, I think they are close enough to the same to not matter.

8. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I, too, use them interchangeably on the MECs. One each for different loads and easy recognition by color......breakemall

9. ismah

ismah Member

The Nitro's have a lined etched from top to bottom. I have found they split more often than the STS's. I get between 6 and 8 reloads from each.

10. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

One is Gold,and One is Green nothing different as empty hulls go.

GB
    DLS

11. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

When the STS/Nitro replaced the Premier hull, a Remington rep told me the only difference was their colors.

Ed

12. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

I vote to bring back the Premier Hull! (RTL)

Jay

13. 1oldtimer

1oldtimer TS Member

When they first came out,the nitro was more prone to buckling when reloading. If I have a choice,STS. My experience. Clyde

14. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

The Nitro hulls pattern better at yardage.

15. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

IMO, they are good hulls to reload, and I think they are identical in composition of materials. They do crack at the crimp sooner than AA's and Federal plastics, but you certainly can get to double figures on the number of times you reload...

Having said that, nothing compares to Federal paper hulls - the absolute best hulls for reloading. Think 'smooooooth' when you reloads the paper hulls. That sums up the experience pretty well....Cya

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

difference between sts and nitro hulls

sts vs nitro hulls