1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS shell sales

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by slide action, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or does it seem that Remigton's decission to no longer offer rebates hurt their market share of shell sales at the Grand? From what I saw it would appear that was the case.

2. banker

banker Member

It looked like Federal just about sold everything they had. Winchester was almost gone and Remington appeared to be almost untouched.

3. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Perhaps there will be a sale on Remington shells in the near future? A bunch of inventory with Grand American logos perhaps? I know I will keep an eye out.

4. KS-OKIE

KS-OKIE TS Supporters TS Supporters

I was told that all remaining inventory of unsold remington shells was to be sold to Crow shooting supply at a discount.This was told to me and a friend in a conversation with Steve Crow...KS-OKIE.

5. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

Well since Crow is now owned by Brownell's then I suppose that is a good thing for us retail customers?

PS- I think that is standard practice. I got a bunch of flats of leftover Grand shells from my friend who was a Remington distributor in town. His wholesale distributor was Crow's. I am pretty sure that Crow's is the central wholesale distributor for anyone that doesn't deal direct with Remington.

6. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I greatly prefer STS 20ga over anything else (I prefer AA in the 28 b/c of the hulls, and my handloads in the 410). However, I'll buy just about anything else before STS since they aren't offering a rebate.

I have absolutely no brand loyalty anymore, so barring major differences in quality, I'll go for whatever gives me the best value for the $, which means AA if I'm willing to wait for the rebate, or Top Gun/Estate if I don't feel like waiting for the rebate. Sorry, but STS aren't worth $20/case more (b/c of no rebate) to me.

7. Don S

Don S Member

I visited the Wal-Mart in Sparta before leaving town. The Remington cases were stacked down the aisle that had been full of AA and Federal cases. The price had dropped from $78 to $74 per case.

8. stingray44130

stingray44130 Member

What is up with Remington ?? They were my shell but not for 20 more what could be there thinking

9. Fox32

Fox32 Member

They were always $74.00 per flat and were not marked down from $78.00. They were $78.00 at the Shell House and always $74.00 at Wal Mart.

10. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Yep, what PARKERGUY said.

[​IMG]

11. Gold Medal

Gold Medal Member

Keep your eyes peeled for a Remington sale or discount program, whether it comes from Remington, Crow, or whomever. The other alternative is to sell a cost to a big bucks buyer to clear out the glut of shells not sold.

A company cannot continue to build inventory and not sell it. It backs up production.

One of the best RUMORS I heard at the Grand was that Federal had bought Remington.

I heard a Remington rep say to a customer "you don`t need to rebate when you make the best shell." He was probably just frustrated.

12. Kzoo-Greg

Kzoo-Greg TS Member

Bass Pro is running a sale on STS shells for $7.49 and free shipping over $75.

13. himark

himark Well-Known Member

I seriously challenge Remington on this decision. First off is there anybody that has ANY real insight to such a blundering move? I and many others are simply flabergasted at there "no rebate" decision.

Surely they knew not extending the rebate would stifle sales??

some things we may not be privvy to...

1. are they losing money making shells at that rebate price?

2. Is it simply the rebate lagistics had them overwhelmed? ( heard long delays in rebates last year)

3. Do they really think they own enough market that they felt they would lose some buyers but overall retain enough that it would still maintain same profits?

4. Or are they simply wanting to shut down the shell division and move away from it?

5. Did they sell off that part of company?

These are things that are whirling through my mind because if they truely thought they could simply hold the customers because "we have a better product" they are extremely naieve and will recieve the "Darwin" award for stupid business this year.

14. Calkidd

Calkidd Well-Known Member

Why would Crow have the rest of the inventory, when it was Gamaliel that ran the shell house?

Bryan

15. Cazadore

Cazadore Member

Remember how copper wire was invented - Two trapshooters fighting over a penny. You know the lack of rebates hurt Remington.

16. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I went up for 1 day of the Grand with sole purpose of buying shells. I really like Rio's and Gamaliel (shell house) had them for $55/flat plus tax - I bought 15 flats. As the worker rolled them out to my truck, I asked him how sales were doing? He told me with no Remington rebate at all and no Winchester or Federal instant rebate on grounds, that the "econo-line" (Fed. Top Gun, Estate, & Rio) was easily dominating sales. Everyone wants to save money. I buy stuff that I use in bulk and often when sales are on. Recently, Wal-Mart was running a sale on certain brands of toilet paper and paper towels....me & the wife bought a year's worth. I will buy shells when sales or rebates are on. Heck, I just ordered some Rem Gun Clubs from Bass Pro because of sale and free shipping. I didn't need the shells, but who could turn away the offer...they ain't going to turn bad!

I had the opportunity to become friends with one if not the top wealthiest men in our community when he was alive. He was a self-made multi millionaire with a D&B rating of unlimited credit. He and his wife clipped coupons, drove used vehicles, and bought stuff on sales. He held onto his money, but he didn't take it with him either!

Watch your nickels and dimes, and your big dollars will take care of themselves!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.