1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shot410ga, Nov 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has been asked before, however; What does the STS 2 3/4 dram use for powder. Maybe, I should ask, what's the replacement load for that shell? I shot some from the 27 yesterday and they smacked the target. I generally use AA Handicap.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Remington says they use a custom OEM powder with green dots in it. This powder burns at Red Dot speeds, so Red Dot, Promo, Clay Dot and e3 can all be used to duplicate the load.

3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

A few years ago Remington e-mailed me with recommended loads for various powders to replicate teh STS performance. They were a bit on the high side relative to each companies recommended charge for a 1145 fps load. I haven't chronoed STS's, but it wouldn't surprise me if they were a bit hotter than advertised.

WNCRob

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Like zzt says, the shell manufacturers generally don't use canister powders. Sometimes its real close to a canister powder, but you can't weigh a factory shell powder charge and say, "that looks like Titegroup" and use the same weight of powder. That could be unsafe.

I'd cut one open, weigh the shot, see what kind of wad they use, then look through the Hodgdon and Alliant books for an appropriate powder that gives 1145 fps for that mixture of components, and go with it. If you want to follow the load as closely as possible, go with the Remington STS shot (or another good hard shot brand) the Remington (or substitute) wad, and Remington primers.

The only thing you won't know is, what is the REAL muzzle velocity of those STS shells you used. They could be as high as 1235 fps, and as low as 1055 fps.

By SAAMI standards, they can vary by 90 fps from the published muzzle velocity numbers, lot to lot (that is, within a given lot, they'll be pretty consistently the same muzzle velocity, but those same shells, a year from now, from a different lot, may be as much as 180 fps different.)

5. Straight99

Straight99 Member

Go to the Remington web site. Look under Reloading Components, Recomended target load recipies. They work like the factory loads.

6. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, Remington uses different chronograph(s) and test parameters than us, not to mention different barrel lengths in the test chambers. Duplicating published data is unrealistic, unless you chronograph a group of their shells to get an average, then work up a load to duplicate it, using your gun and chronograph. Otherwise, you'll have no idea how factory shells compare to yours. They buy powder by the ton and it's my understanding, specify proprietary formulations which are not available to handloaders; although we can certainly buy powders that are very close to the ones the factories use.

best ....mike

7. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Well-Known Member

Bore size plays a part also. With the .750 bores, and backbored barrels to who knows what, there is a lot of blowby that will vary the FPS also.

8. claybrdr

claybrdr Well-Known Member

My duplicate of the 1180 1 oz STS load is STS hulls, Target 12 wad, STS 209 primers and 16.1 gr 700X (#28 bushing in a MEC 9000H). Extreme spread is 9 fps.

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

A useless exercise.

Chrono the factory loads.

Use the same wad and shot

Select a recipe that should yield the same velocity as the factory load. Powder will have no affect.

Test said load over a chronograph.

Adjust powder charge and repeat as necessary

It will make no GD difference in the end.

Just shoot and learn to smack the bird. You will not miss or hit harder because of the powder used. Shot and wad are the key performance items. Everything else is secondary.

Don Verna

10. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

DonV is exactly right. Use REM hard shot, a true REM fig 8 wad, a good poowder like Red Dot, or clays or Green dot, chrono till you get simialr results and you are there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.