1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS reloads

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bird30, Oct 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

How many times are you reloading STS's before you drop them on the ground ?

2. Tugboat

Tugboat Member

approx. eight times....

3. cp

cp TS Member

Why do you drop them on the ground? Put them in a bag that attaches to your belt. Then walk them back to the trash can & dump them. This will cut down on labor costs. I load them seven times, then walk them back to trash can.

4. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

In my view, there's actually no correct answer to your question. I clean and inspect my hulls after each use. Sometimes the "scorched/burned" half moon burn shows down from the crimp fold after the first reloading, for whatever reason. If it's scorched on the outside, into the trash it goes. On the other hand, I have hulls that have been reloaded ten or more times. If there's no scorching or pinholes at the crimp and no carbon build-up that won't wipe off, it gets reloaded, so long as it passes muster.

best...mike

5. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

cp I drop them on the ground so people have a job picking them up. I don't want to put anyone out of a job. You asked the question and I gave you a answer. Also when you are 81 years old you want life to be as simple as you can make it. :)

Dave

6. cp

cp TS Member

Yes, I like life simple also. Still throw them in the trash. You get the last word if you want it.

7. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

I reload 'em 'til a crimp fold splits, a little scorching doesn't hurt. I really don't know how many times, I could believe 7 or 8?.....I don't keep count.

John C. Saubak

8. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

6 to 8 times. Regards, Ed

9. dverna

dverna Active Member

I am too disorganized to keep hulls separated by number of times used. Once they start to get splits in the crimp I use them for first shot of doubles and pitch them.

If you have a good crimp, I am not sure it matters how many (or few) times a AA or STS have been reloaded. It is more important to have a good wad than to worry about if the hull is a bit dirty.

If loading shells with a paper base wad - then I only load them up once. I can count to 1 and not get too confused.

I guess I am with Dave - KISS.

Don Verna

10. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    Be respectful. Throw them in the trash. Its sloppy and stupid to shuck them on the ground when there is a trash barrel a few feet away. Just my .02
    And, shoot them till the crimp wont crimp, til it blows off, or a split forms on the side of the shell. Not a big deal. No cardbord base wad to deal with, so shoot 'em a bunch.

11. Cheetah

Cheetah Member

Ok folks if you think that CP and Powderburn never drop their hulls on the ground I know different I have seen them in action.
    They are sloppy and stupid also !!!!!!!!

12. Bird30

Bird30 TS Member

OH-OH Cheetah blowed the wistle on you guy's. If it helps my gun don't eject hulls and I drop them in a nice little pile. {:)

13. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

One day out of sheer boredom we decided to see how many loads we could get out of one STS hull. We had a MEC 600 set up just behind the score's bench and the range to ourselves. The proceedure was to load the one shell walk up to the line and shoot a target - repeat. We got through a full round of 25 targets on the same hull. Realistically, the hull was pretty well hammered at around 15 shots. In practice I would guess most of my STS hulls get around 10 loadings.

On the subject of letting hulls fly - it is one of the true pleasures in the game and one reason I love shooting Estate factory loads. I have earned the right to say and do such a dastardly thing because a lot of the time I'm the one raking and scooping the spent hulls up at the end of the day. It ain't that hard and there is no bending required if you use the right implements. Then there are also the really great days when we have paid trap help - on these days we get to kick back and watch the kids earn their pay ... hey its a job and they want the money ... so enjoy life and let em fly!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.