1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS Reloading Recipe??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Beau69, Aug 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beau69

Beau69 Active Member

I want to come as close to duplicating the Light Handicap Load from Remington.
    Any suggestions for recipes?
    I've been through all the books but there are so many I don't know which to use!
    I'm not 'in the know' with all the powders these days as I've been reloading Red Dot of WST for years and never even thought to switch.

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Beau, Remington uses a custom powder in the Light target and Light handicap loads. The manager in charge of ammunition at Remington has been on these threads several times stating the custom powder they use burns at Red Dot speeds (even though there are green identification flakes in it). He suggests using Red Dot to duplicate.

So go on Alliant's web site and check their reloading data. You'll find that using an STS hull (or Gun Club) with an STS209 primer, 19gr Red Dot, Fig-8 wad and 1 1/8oz hard shot will give you 1200fps @ 10100psi. That duplicates Remington's Light handicap load. Please use the Alliant site to double check my figures.

Of course you can duplicate it using other fast powders, as well. There is a wealth of data out there for that loading.

3. KenC

KenC Member

Pretty much what zzt said except I use 18.2 gr Titegroup...YMMV

4. prairiedog

prairiedog Member

I don't know that this load will duplicate the Rem light handicap but it's a good load, lower pressure, and, for me, feels like softer recoil than the Rem light handicaps.

Rem STS hull

20 gr GreenDot

Fiocchi 616, Win 209 or Noble Sport primer

Downrange DRRF8 or Claybuster 8118-12 wad (just switched to DRRF8 and like it better than the CB wad)

8600 (Win 209/Noble Sport), 8700 (Fiocchi 616) PSI

1200 FPS

1 1/8 oz magnum shot

I shoot this load at 16s also. It generates lots of smoke.

5. Herman63

Herman63 Member

19 grains of greendot-DR fig8-fio primer or Win-1 1/8 of 8's

Herman63

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

recipe for sts reloads

sts duplicate reload

sts loading ecipes