1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS reloading problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by oleolliedawg, Sep 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Remington is noted for producing inconsistent lengths on their loaded ammo and this is likely your problem. Measure them and you'll see what I mean.

pullll has it right on this one!!

2. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I do come across some nitro gold hulls that give me simular problems Im useing CCI primers. I just toss all shells that give me a problem.

3. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

laura! - What kind of loader?

I've always found WW-209 primers stiff going in Remington hulls the first time.

4. Klay_Buster

Klay_Buster TS Member

I have found that WW 209 primers would always not seat all the way the first time you load them. Depending on which machine your loading on, just set the priming seating die to put a little more pressure. What your seeing is normal for that combination of components. Nothing wrong with the primers or hulls.
    Once you make the adjustment, you will have no problem with once fired or many times fired hulls.

5. 1881home

1881home TS Member

I too, have had problems reloading the STS hull. I have tried both Winchester and Remington primers. Neither one will seat all the way. In fact, the brass on the shell will concave, and the primer still protrudes. I load on a PW2000, so I called PW and they said they had not heard of this problem. They suggested calling Remington. That experience was like trying to talk to the President in the White House. As a result, I switched to AA hulls and Winchester primers. Not a bit of trouble, and the reloads look and shoot perfectly. No primer seating problems, and no crimp problems.

The protruding primers on the STS hulls will play havoc with the face of your receiver too. Be carefull with this as it could be a costly repair.

6. 1881home

1881home TS Member

I too, have had problems reloading the STS hull. I have tried both Winchester and Remington primers. Neither one will seat all the way. In fact, the brass on the shell will concave, and the primer still protrudes. I load on a PW2000, so I called PW and they said they had not heard of this problem. They suggested calling Remington. That experience was like trying to talk to the President in the White House. As a result, I switched to AA hulls and Winchester primers. Not a bit of trouble, and the reloads look and shoot perfectly. No primer seating problems, and no crimp problems.

The protruding primers on the STS hulls will play havoc with the face of your receiver too. Be carefull with this as it could be a costly repair.

7. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

Dunno about P-Ws but with my MEC 650 a WW-209 in a new Remington case would not set flush at the prime station. It might drag a bit when the turret was rotated, but it would rotate. Dunno if that's a prob with MEC 9000s or Grabbers.

The primer would go flush at the crimp station.

After that first loading, it would be fine.

8. mrskeet410

mrskeet410 TS Member

gun1357 - What you suggest works, but it makes it a heavy pull on the handle on every stroke. I'd rather have a lighter pull all the time, and just give extra effort to the turret rotation when loading new Rems. No right or wrong answer to that, just a minor preference on my part.

flinch100 - Mrskeet doesn't always know what he's talking about, but he does know what he doesn't know, and what he doesn't know is how to do a P-W.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

ww209primers