1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

STS or AAHS for reloading?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dale58, Jun 18, 2013.

1. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

I recently got back into reloading after years of not shooting. I started loading the new winchester AAHS hulls with all Winchester components. They load ok but I liked the old AA hulls better. The STS hulls seam to be the same as the old AA hulls. Do you guys have a preference on the STS or AAHS hulls? thanks, Dale

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I gave up on Winchester hulls years ago when they stopped making compression formed hulls and went to the two piece AAHS ones...with some problems with separations and barrel damage cases. Remington STS, Nitros, and Gun Clubs are my choice. That said, if you can find a bunch of old Winchester compression formed AAs to reload, they are still great. It is now sort of a Chevy vs. Ford issue in product loyalty. Regards, Ed

3. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I load them interchangeably with the same complimentary components

4. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

For 12 ga or 20 ga, Remington rules. For 28 ga and .410 bore, Winchester HS gets the nod.

5. MNGuns

MNGuns Member

Nearly any hull can be reloaded, and done so nicely. But STS hulls are the Cadillac of hulls IMO.

6. esoxhunter

esoxhunter Well-Known Member

Life is too short to load AA's. Load Remington. JMHO. Ed

7. mich746

mich746 Member

So if I'm saving my AA's and tossing my gun clubs I got it backwards?

Was thinking about getting into reloading, but it sounds like getting components is hit and miss. Kind of like my scores.

8. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Still loading AA's and never a problem. I use Red AA's for 1 1/8 loads and Nitro 27 for 1 oz and Gray Aa's for 7/8's.

9. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

STS and Nitros for trap and skeet because I can eaily pick them up.

Gun Clubs for Sporting as they just fly.

The New AA hulls are junk IMHO

10. Lewes

Lewes Member

Ditto for Remington hulls! They load the same. Irv

11. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Gotta vote for Remington! I still have a few thousand old AA's and they are fine. It seems the new AA shells are a bit finicky and the crimps, although they work, just look bad. The nitro 27 reloads look like they just came from Remington.

Bob Schultz

12. Mountainsteve

Mountainsteve Member

Remington STS and Nitros are the best.

13. perezal

perezal Member

STS all the way

14. Avaldes

Avaldes Well-Known Member

If you are patient, you can adjust your machine to create factory crimps on all three brands (STS, AA, Gold Medal). AAHS's are a bit shorter than STS/Nitros. So you need to adjust your crimp height appropriately. Gold Medals just plain crimp differently than the other two.

It seems like most of the problems you read about have to do with a powder/wad/shot stack up that is either too tall or too short. If you have a good component selection and adjust your machine, you should be good with any hull that you choose. Personally I like Remington wads in STS/Nitros, AA wads in AA's and Federal wads in Gold Medals.

If I were buying shells with the exclusive intention of reloading them, I would pick STS/Nitros. The reality though is that Winchester and Federal have offered rebates, Silver Bullets are great from long yardage and Paper Gold Medals sure are nice to shoot:)

15. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Dale...

The Winchester AA and Remington RTL/Premier CF hulls are what I learned to self-load 20 years ago... then Winchester changed their process and Remington didn't, so I stayed with Remington Hulls...

When Remington changed to STS & Nitro, but kept the CF design, I moved with them... and they are so readily plentiful, that unless Remington decides to change its tooling, I wont be... you get to a point in life when you get comfortable - in this case used to certain components and how they load, you don't want to upset the apple cart...

Jay